Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if we got English and Oliver. You'd be pretty bullish if Oliver could come good.
Would've recruited an entire midfield from other clubs:

English, Rankine, Oliver, Dawson
The Ruck and another A grade midfielder let alone an elite one were required not only to push Finals but be a premiership threat. The only concern is the forward line with Walker slowing down but Fogarty has definitely step up this year so this is less a concern, Thilthorpe will need to next year.

Not exactly a massive exciting rumour but have been told Hamill is keen to go back to Vic if he gets an offer. Was delisted and rookied last year as the club didn't expect Sloane to play on. Playing some good footy this year prior to injury but due to us delisting him he is now a UFA every time he's out of contract which would make him more appealing to other clubs I'm sure. This info was from end of last year so could've changed after his run of games this year

Probably best for both parties at this point if he could find a Victorian club. Gives Hamill a shot to save his career, gives us a list spot without doing any damage.

Hinge's first few games he was a liability. Which is my point. We need to draft and recruit players who are going to be considered the best in their positions if we're going to actually win a flag, which neither Keays or Hinge are. Murray could be, but he's a long way off yet.
Apart from the shitty game plan at the start of the season, half the team seemed to be completely out form

Apart from the shitty game plan at the start of the season, half the team seemed to be completely out form

I do wonder just how much Thilthorpe doing a knee just before the start of the season rocked the group in hindsight.

After all, uber talented kid who's clearly put the work in (and was expected to be the breakout player) does a knee on the eve to the season. That's got to rock a young groups confidence, especially as TT provides a point of difference over Tex/Fogarty in terms of his height.

Especially as a breakout Thilthorpe is the kind of player who could underpin a ball movement game.

Last edited:
I do wonder just how much Thilthorpe doing a knee just before the start of the season rocked the group in hindsight.

After all, uber talented kid who's clearly put the work in (and was expected to be the breakout player) does a knee on the eve to the season. That's got to rock a young groups confidence, especially as TT provides a point of difference over Tex/Fogarty in terms of his height.
Maybe .. Dawson was another

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if we got English and Oliver. You'd be pretty bullish if Oliver could come good.
Would've recruited an entire midfield from other clubs:

English, Rankine, Oliver, Dawson
If Hamish can't do it.....

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here’s an idea. Instead of taking on a huge risk like Oliver, why don’t our recruiters actually do their job properly and find us a Durham or Newcombe, or even a Noble or D’Ambrosio, with minimal risk/salary/loss of draft picks?
Do you mean players like .... Charlie Edwards, Cook, Zac Taylor, Oscar Ryan, Dowling, Nankervis, Keane and Toby Murray ?

It seems to me, the noise on this board, has been around sacking the recruiters and development team ......plus everyone else associated with the club

BUT .....is it not true, these same people you're holding responsible (for what, I don't know) ......are responsible for those 8 players, people are excited about ......plus Curtin, Worrell, Pedlar, Milera, and Rankine to be added back in ......that's 13 players with strong creds

You can't have it both ways .....lambaste the recruiters, yet praise these rookies

FWIW ......Zac Taylor excites me with what he's doing already ......and I'm a big fan of Toby Murray's aggressive approach, and achievements in his first year

Sam Berry, is at his peak .....fringe player, and in the mould of Riley Garcia .....Zac Taylor has already surpassed Berry, and I'm more excited with his off-ball workrate

the one ****n year we are primed to pick up an elite mid talent in the draft is going to be the same year we give that pick up for a cooked 27 year old with a drug habit and and bad shoulders.

Or Silvers and co are pushing for it anyway.
No-one's forcing us to do anything .....a lot of water to go under the bridge

Remember Goody and Roo are business partners ......and Burgess knows Oliver intimately

There's enough intel to make an accurate decision

If we retained our first round this year and gain Oliver that’ll be absolutely huge.

Oliver instantly improves our midfield and if he comes back to his best from a few years ago that’ll be massive for us.

I feel like we need to take a risk to instantly improve our team

If we retained our first round this year and gain Oliver that’ll be absolutely huge.

Oliver instantly improves our midfield and if he comes back to his best from a few years ago that’ll be massive for us.

I feel like we need to take a risk to instantly improve our team
I'd be willing to give up our first pick if we got Oliver and English (I know English is a FA).
E.g. does Melbourne pay half his salary if we give them pick 5, allowing us to also get English?

Do you mean players like .... Charlie Edwards, Cook, Zac Taylor, Oscar Ryan, Dowling, Nankervis, Keane and Toby Murray ?

It seems to me, the noise on this board, has been around sacking the recruiters and development team ......plus everyone else associated with the club

BUT .....is it not true, these same people you're holding responsible (for what, I don't know) ......are responsible for those 8 players, people are excited about ......plus Curtin, Worrell, Pedlar, Milera, and Rankine to be added back in ......that's 13 players with strong creds

You can't have it both ways .....lambaste the recruiters, yet praise these rookies

FWIW ......Zac Taylor excites me with what he's doing already ......and I'm a big fan of Toby Murray's aggressive approach, and achievements in his first year

Sam Berry, is at his peak .....fringe player, and in the mould of Riley Garcia .....Zac Taylor has already surpassed Berry, and I'm more excited with his off-ball workrate
You’re taking the piss right? Do you need a rehash of our blown first rounders?

And didn’t you use injuries as excuse to lose to a depleted shit Richmond at home because we dont have the depth and it wasn’t Nicks fault?

It seems you’re the one wanting it both ways

I'd be willing to give up our first pick if we got Oliver and English (I know English is a FA).
E.g. does Melbourne pay half his salary if we give them pick 5, allowing us to also get English?

Tim English im on the fence with, great player but I feel like salary should be used elsewhere. I’d offer next years first round pick for Oliver, I think this years pick should be untouchable.

I don’t know if you’d be able to restructure any contracts….

I’d take Durham and Newcombe over all of those above and they were taken for free in the MSD and are close to being the best player in their team. If Toby Murray makes it then great but I doubt he’ll be at their level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back