Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No-one complained about getting Gibbs at the time but the fact that we got reamed, apparently because the CEO gave instructions to get it done regardless of the draft cost.
From memory his 1st year with us wasn't too bad - he played 22 games in 2018, then 12 and 3 games in the next 2 years.
Bryce Gibbs, 2018 2nd rd (pick 19 which blew out), 2018 3rd rd (pick 37 which blew out) 2017 5th rd (why even bother)
for
2017 1st rd (pick 10), 2017 1st rd (pick 16), 2018 2nd rd (pick 26 which blew out) 2017 5th rd (why even bother)

So even though the media has played the 2 first rounders for him. It was basically 1 1st rounder and slight re-arranging down the table. (We gave up pick 16 2017 for pick 19 2018, switched a mid 2nd for early 3rd, and switched 2 5th rd picks). We basically gave up a 1st rounder, then made a few smaller changes here and there so Sos could hold face and say he got 2 1st rounders out of it.

Then look at it another way.

Bryce Gibbs, Bobby Hill, Justin McInerney and Billy Hartung
for
Lochie O'Brien, Ed Richards, James Jordan and pass

Who actually lost that trade?

I love how we are 14th on the ladder and massively underperformed this year, yet people are worried about taking a risk :$ :$
Only because talk is we would lose our first pick in a draft full of quality mids - if we pick him up for just money no problem but the guy is a massive risk - he came to the EP ‘for a break’ and was very very loose, there’s only so much you can do to your body before you can’t compete at AFL ‘level.

Re: English - that situation is reminding me a lot of Rankine in his contract year. All the talk was that he’d stay, with a few rumours of a deal from Essendon, only for the news that he wanted to come to us breaking in mid-to-late August

Now I’m not saying English will be a Crow, but if he did want to stay with the Dogs, surely it’s a bit weird that he hasn’t signed a deal yet? Doesn’t sound like WCE and English are overly convinced they’re the right party for each other, either

Been reported he has a 5 year deal from the Dogs, probably weighing up his options since they have lowballed him relative to what he initally wanted.

Mail from my source ;

Cumming - been into him for 2 years we’re close to front of queue for his signature

Tim English - words were “if Beveridge is coaching at the WBD next year, don’t be suprised if English is at West Lakes “ decent chance that happens

oh i love a good tomato source. hope you keep it in the fridge!

obviously his massive could issues, but the chance of getting Oliver back into his prime might worth the risk imo, but only if he is coming cheaply.

We should not give up a first rd pick for him, this year or otherwise.

Even if Melbourne payed a small part his contract I’d only give back a second.

If Melbourne were confident he’d turn it around, he wouldn’t be up for grabs in the first place

I'm all for Oliver. You only have so many years of Dawson, Fogarty and Rankine at peak and you have to make the most of them.

Especially as this decline has more than a whiff of this being self inflicted by Melbourne.

Melbourne has more than once thrown their players under the bus. They torched Oliver in the media last year and more recently torched their rucks in a press conference

They tried to protect Oliver. It was leaked teammates were disgruntled with his behaviour at the club and concerned with his off field activities. During trade period, Melbourne chose to hold Oliver after he told them he was committed to making changes. 2 weeks later he has a seizure at Joel Smiths house. The guy was a cancer.

obviously his massive could issues, but the chance of getting Oliver back into his prime might worth the risk imo, but only if he is coming cheaply.

We should not give up a first rd pick for him, this year or otherwise.

Even if Melbourne payed a small part his contract I’d only give back a second.

If Melbourne were confident he’d turn it around, he wouldn’t be up for grabs in the first place

I cannot see how a deal gets done unless tensions between Oliver and Melbourne severely escalate or Reid is dumb enough to give them a first. They don't need to free up cap space badly, Brayshaws mega dealw will come off the books. They'd rather give him a chance to have a full preseason than trade him for a second and some cap relief. Selling low (one bad year in 8 years) would be the dumbest thing they ever did.

The Grundy trade from Collingwood to Melbourne is a precedent with regards to Oliver. Grundy was 28 years old with 5 years of his contract left. Oliver will be 27 years old with 6 years of his contract left. Melbourne gave up pick 27. Based on that, somewhere at the end of the 1st round or beginning of the 2nd seems about right. Our 1st pick this year should be completely off limits. We will need that and Oliver to boost our midfield.

PS. Would be bloody excited to add Oliver and the best midfielder we can pick with pick 5 to our squad!

The Grundy trade from Collingwood to Melbourne is a precedent with regards to Oliver. Grundy was 28 years old with 5 years of his contract left. Oliver will be 27 years old with 6 years of his contract left. Melbourne gave up pick 27. Based on that, somewhere at the end of the 1st round or beginning of the 2nd seems about right. Our 1st pick this year should be completely off limits. We will need that and Oliver to boost our midfield.

PS. Would be bloody excited to add Oliver and the best midfielder we can pick with pick 5 to our squad!
Gotta wonder if the Melb 2nd and Berry would get it done, maybe in a 3-way deal if the Dees want a late first/early second (also unsure if we can trade the Dees 2nd back to them)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn’t the NBA. You can’t trade a player that has no interest in being traded

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't think Laird would be too keen to play out his career in the 2s. Word was he packed the sads about losing midfield time. I reckon he could be convinced to move on. Plus the $ component, he should be in low earning years with us and leaving should get him paid at market rate.

I was going to buy stock while it's price was low, but I was staggered to find out it wasn't presently at peak market value.
All depends whether you are buying Kodak on its way down, then way out for structural reasons or Apple upon its huge renaissance from being able to reinvent itself.

Normally buying a losing stock, that has fallen materially in value, is a LOSING strategy

Last edited:

Weren't Pies overcommitted in future cap spend though? Is there any talk that Demons have cap issues, noting Brayshaw $ freed up as a starting point.

Unlike last year, "if" Melbourne want him gone then they will accept at most our future 1st rounder. Maybe this is the big fish the ITK poster mentioned many weeks ago as a "certainty" as Oliver does look to have completely checked out this season but Goodwin is desperate to make Finals so he continue to play him.

There hasn't been any report about his professionalism in his training and preparation until this year so maybe Burgess had more influence than we thought since he went off the rail around the same time Burgess left? Otherwise it's definitely a risk especially since Nicks will be still be coaching us next year.
I can't believe people are still talking about giving Melbourne a 1st - for this year, next year or any year. Unless they're paying his entire salary - which would defeat the purpose - there should be zero chance that we would give them a premium pick. If anything a premium pick would come our way.

Can't criticise the club for rolling over and getting reamed on deals when we're calling for silly stuff like this.

Hinge is the 8th ranked player in his position this year and above the likes of Saad, NVM, Tom Stewart and Maynard and only just below Blakey. Hinge was starting to push into the elite territory for his position last year and has well and truly gone to that level this year.

Elite interceptor and also elite by foot, but sure, just a role player…

He had a poor couple of pre season games, not sure how you’ve confused that with form in the real stuff.

Keays has also been an elite pressure medium forward for nearly 2 seasons now and is just coming off one of the best games by a player this season. How is he not elite in that role?
Hinge was pure garbage for the preseason games and about the first 5 rounds..

Couldnt hit a team mate to save himself.

But the Hinge of last year.. the gun one.. has thankfully returned.

When he’s on.. the crows play well. Massively underrated.

Early last year I had him as the best player in the league.
If he could get his head screwed on by moving back with Burgo no reason why he couldn't get back to his best. It wasn't that long ago.
Agreed but isn’t part of the issue Burgess is rumoured to be on the way out at the end of the season? If Oliver comes, Burgess ideally becomes a critical piece from many perspectives

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back