Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I missing a joke in point one somewhere? My year 5 maths from 45 years ago tells me 119 is not divisible by 11 and 6cubed is 216...
Point 2 is an inarguable truth though for Port Power. Seeing grown men, generally not overly attractive specimens, with faces painted in their ridiculous colours crying at the end of the 2007 GF will be a memory I won’t ever forget.

Point 2 is an inarguable truth though for Port Power. Seeing grown men, generally not overly attractive specimens, with faces painted in their ridiculous colours crying at the end of the 2007 GF will be a memory I won’t ever forget.
I’m sure it happened 10 years later as well!

My gut feel is that Clarry is close to a done deal.

Once Petty re-signed it's obvious our priorities had changed and we were no longer an option to him.

Again all speculation, but last year I was told a rumour and posted it on here that Clarry was 100% sold on coming to the Adelaide Football Club.

He'd reached out to Burgess last year about his injury and somewhere along the way there was some discussions about his personal issues and the possibility was discussed about coming to play at Adelaide. Clarry apparently went to Melbourne and told them that he wanted a new start by moving states to help him get away from the bad influences in his life.

Melbourne panicked and held a crisis meeting where they promised Oliver that they would put all these measures in place to help support him and managed to convice him to stay.

I'd dare say that if Melbourne's mindset has now changed and would entertain a trade that we'd be odds on favourite to land him.

Given that we've gone cold on Petty you can't help but think that the current Clarry talk is not just speculation.

Last edited:

Personally prefer the thought of TT, Fog & Welsh.

I'm happy to give Gollant another year though but I haven't liked what I've seen at AFL level so far. Kid is young though.
Welsh has a lot of developing to do. Folks expecting much from him in his first two or three years are going to be sorely disappointed.

You can see the talent is there but he needs good development too - and I’m worried about AFC’s ability to do that

Welsh has a lot of developing to do. Folks expecting much from him in his first two or three years are going to be sorely disappointed.

You can see the talent is there but he needs good development too - and I’m worried about AFC’s ability to do that
Yep, he has had moments this year only and it may take a while for him to be ale to step up to impact at AFL intensity. As you say, the talent is there but he is still very raw.

Yeah, which COULD be like getting Rankine rumours from Essendon sources ...

I certainly think that WCE think that it's down to them and him staying. But another club may still be in the mix.
You'll convince yourself soon....I think his mail given his Weagles sources would be a tad better than most

Port supporters keep saying Houston is worth two first round picks. They are dreaming. He is a really good player but with only a couple of good years left in him I don't think he has that much value.

They're kidding themselves, surely whoever is saying that is taking the piss..

Look at the value that Dunkley and Treloar were traded for and both of those players are infinitely better than Houston.

I would put Houston's worth as a late first rounder at best maybe with a 2nd rounder going back to the club that is trading for him.

I'd guess that Port are wanting to move Houston on to free up some cap space and to get themselves back in the draft, At the end of the day if Port are happy to move him on there's no way his value would be anything close to 2 first rounders.

This poor development stuff is getting a bit old. RT, Fog, Murray, Worrell, Butts and even Borlase have all developed nicely as KP players on our list.

On top of that, Tex has worked very closely with RT and Fog and would have already been working with Welsh this year too, can't get a better mentor than that.

Given that we've gone cold on Petty you can't help but think that the current Clarry talk is not just speculation.
Whilst I'd like to think that, I'm not sure one equals the other with this.

We've had KP players step up on either end and Petty hasn't shown he's worth chasing as a forward this season. Oliver seems unrelated personally.

This poor development stuff is getting a bit old. RT, Fog, Murray, Worrell, Butts and even Borlase have all developed nicely as KP players on our list.

On top of that, Tex has worked very closely with RT and Fog and would have already been working with Welsh this year too, can't get a better mentor than that.
The examples you gave are true, but we could also argue that the development for each of those has been very slow. All of them have taken a lot of time to reach a remotely reasonable level.
Meanwhile, you could also argue that none have really reached elite levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had KP players step up on either end and Petty hasn't shown he's worth chasing as a forward this season. Oliver seems unrelated personally.

Agreed, I think Petty was also as much about cap space as anything. If we were going to make a play for him as a free agent anyway, we were better to get him in early and front load it.

I also don't think it was ever s simple as two first round picks.

Port supporters keep saying Houston is worth two first round picks. They are dreaming. He is a really good player but with only a couple of good years left in him I don't think he has that much value.
Port supporters have put up with hinkley for 11 years. There's already something mentally wrong with them.

We don’t need a ruck anymore - ROB played a solid final 7 minutes against Essendon on Friday night.
I think you are being a bit unkind saying the big fella only had a 'solid final 7 minutes'.

What about his elite bit of ruck craft in the second quarter (I think) that created an uncontested centre clearance and allowed the ball to be waltzed downfield, giving the opposition defenders no chance and resulted in an easy goal??

Sure, the deft tap was directed to an unopposed Zach Merrett, the team-lifting goal was Essendon's and the hapless defenders were ours, but hey, baby steps and green shoots.

I’m sure it happened 10 years later as well!
haha true (but I was trying to make it a happy story here Froggy :) ). Anyway, I did the manly thing on the day and went to the bar for most of the last quarter (but did go and watch the presentations and must say Tiger fans to their great credit were almost without exception very respectful and even empathetic ('bad luck mate, you guys had a great year and sure you will be back again next year' type thing - well they got it half right!)

Enviable Tradition - were you at the 2007 game mate? From memory Power started quite strongly in the first 15 mins or so (like Crows in 17) before Cats just steamrolled in the end. And from memory Power also kicked the last goal or 2 of the game so margin could have actually been worse....

My gut feel is that Clarry is close to a done deal.

Once Petty re-signed it's obvious our priorities had changed and we were no longer an option to him.

Again all speculation, but last year I was told a rumour and posted it on here that Clarry was 100% sold on coming to the Adelaide Football Club.

He'd reached out to Burgess last year about his injury and somewhere along the way there was some discussions about his personal issues and the possibility was discussed about coming to play at Adelaide. Clarry apparently went to Melbourne and told them that he wanted a new start by moving states to help him get away from the bad influences in his life.

Melbourne panicked and held a crisis meeting where they promised Oliver that they would put all these measures in place to help support him and managed to convice him to stay.

I'd dare say that if Melbourne's mindset has now changed and would entertain a trade that we'd be odds on favourite to land him.

Petty re-signing definitely adds to the viability of the Clarry rumour imo. Could be completely unrelated, but agree that our position on Petty has clearly changed (hence his re-signing).

Nah, Gollant has a point of difference worth persisting with. Particularly a forward line of TT, Gollant and Fog would be a real mixed bag.
I like Gollant's attack on the ball but I'm just not convinced he is bulking up enough to be viable at AFL level.

He was starting from a long way back but I'd hoped he fill out like the pictures of his old man and brothers.

Crazy thought - will he get delisted and player lower leagues, only to become a more threatening player with less day-to-day running and more boozing?

I think you are being a bit unkind saying the big fella only had a 'solid final 7 minutes'.

What about his elite bit of ruck craft in the second quarter (I think) that created an uncontested centre clearance and allowed the ball to be waltzed downfield, giving the opposition defenders no chance and resulted in an easy goal??

Sure, the deft tap was directed to an unopposed Zach Merrett, the team-lifting goal was Essendon's and the hapless defenders were ours, but hey, baby steps and green shoots.
I do wonder why he doesn't try to tap it directly to the opposition

Would immediately start putting it on a platter for our blokes

Crazy Talk.

Kid is ready to go.

Just look at our experiences with hugely talented young key forwards.

Tex - spent no time at all learning his craft in the SANFL
Fog - godlike from game 1
Filthy - pretty sure he was always as good as the last two weeks

Neither Petty or we are going as well this year as would have been expected during last year's trade period. So potentially we've lost interest in him or he's lost interest in us (or both), so he's just stayed at Melbourne. Agree that any connection with the Oliver situation is likely coincidental.

Crazy Talk.

Kid is ready to go.

Just look at our experiences with hugely talented young key forwards.

Tex - spent no time at all learning his craft in the SANFL
Fog - godlike from game 1
Filthy - pretty sure he was always as good as the last two weeks
Welsh looks fat around the middle to me. He has real talent but we'll have to be patient with him. No way is he going to step in and become a superstar like some think he will. Big blokes take time.

They're kidding themselves, surely whoever is saying that is taking the piss..

Look at the value that Dunkley and Treloar were traded for and both of those players are infinitely better than Houston.

I would put Houston's worth as a late first rounder at best maybe with a 2nd rounder going back to the club that is trading for him.

I'd guess that Port are wanting to move Houston on to free up some cap space and to get themselves back in the draft, At the end of the day if Port are happy to move him on there's no way his value would be anything close to 2 first rounders.
2 first rounders is dreaming but i can see a 12-16 type pick being worth it. AA last year and another strong year this year. Contracted for another 3-4 years. Probably has 5 decent years left in him. Seeing him live vs GC 2 weeks ago his movement and kicking are both elite. Personally if Crows were a contending team, Houstons likely target, I would be happy giving up a mid teen pick

Not sure how 'barndoor' Treloar at 900k could possibly be deemed a better proposition than Houston. No wonder Pies dumped him at that price and are paying 300k of the salary IIRC

and re Dunkley, stripping out meaningless draft picks (third and fourth round), Bullies got pick 21, a future first and a future second. Not shabby at all

The Demons would need to part with a first-round selection at minimum for Houston, who is putting together another strong season, averaging 23.2 disposals at better than 80 per cent kicking efficiency.

He has averaged at least 23 touches in each of the past three years, and was named at half-back in the 2023 All-Australian team.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back