Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss had blown up his reputation at Brisbane, Richardson wasn't anything special, at least not any better than some of the interstate coaches that have come to Adelaide like Teague or Milburn. Schofield already had ties to Port as a player. I don't think Port are much more of a destination for talented coaches than Adelaide. Maybe their record is a touch better than us but they're still the same league of teams drinking lukewarm backwash.
Both Voss and Richardson got senior coaching gigs after their time with Port and Schofield is the caretaker coach of West Coast now, maybe they're just much better at IDing coaching talent than us?

Off the top of my head we only have Teague as a former coach who got a senior gig, Port have Voss, Richardson, Nicks, Clarkson and Kingsley who all spent time at Port and got senior gigs.

Both Voss and Richardson got senior coaching gigs after their time with Port and Schofield is the caretaker coach of West Coast now, maybe they're just much better at IDing coaching talent than us?

Off the top of my head we only have Teague as a former coach who got a senior gig, Port have Voss, Richardson, Nicks, Clarkson and Kingsley who all spent time at Port and got senior gigs.
I don't think it counts as good talent ID if they turn out to be shit.

I also think that if we've had a long history of failing to attract quality to our club, then it's on us to be elite in development

Not just developing players, but developing coaches, recruiters and admin. Create a system that will take the resources of South Australia and extract the most out of that, and create quality within our system so that we can promote within - because we're not going to get anyone else

If we've spent 30 years knowing we can't get anyone, we've completely failed to react to that reality and do something different (or at least, do something different and do a good job of it)

Brisbane is a great example.

It wasn’t long ago they were losing players every year. I recall there was the go-home 5 or something one year, Yeo being one of them.

They turned it around and started attracting real stars in Daniher, Neale and Cameron.

We lose top quality players and can’t attract top talent… ok… so what are we doing to change that?

For some reason, Port never seem to have the same problem…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn’t long ago they were losing players every year. I recall there was the go-home 5 or something one year, Yeo being one of them.

They turned it around and started attracting real stars in Daniher, Neale and Cameron.

We lose top quality players and can’t attract top talent… ok… so what are we doing to change that?

I'm in Brisbane, and it feels like every second person I meet here (or on the Sunshine/Gold Coast) are Victorians who have moved here in the last five years.

Not exactly scientific, but I'm not sure it'd be the same in Adelaide.

How many elite non SA players, or even AA player before joining Power, have they ever attracted in 27 years? An ultimately (at Lions) out of favour Rockliff was AA in 2014 and Power got a much reduced (slower) player 4 years later paying big $ as a FA. Who else?

Re “top quality players” leaving, what quality players have we lost under Nicks?

And yes Brissie did turn it around and much despised (on this board) David Noble was primarily responsible for that

Agreed. Reading The Age, H Sun and The Australian sports sections I have never seen any mention of this. Wondering what media Kane is referring to

I can only speculate but i think some feel Rachele wont be happy with the way he was treated which means may look for trades. Obviously looking for midfield time. His contract means he really cant go anywhere. He signed it, so unless the club gives him permission to seek opportunities in the midfield elsewhere, he is stuck.

Quite frankly it's embarassing.
I can only speculate but i think some feel Rachele wont be happy with the way he was treated which means may look for trades. Obviously looking for midfield time. His contract means he really cant go anywhere. He signed it, so unless the club gives him permission to seek opportunities in the midfield elsewhere, he is stuck.
I think not. I reckon he realised he was being a little immature, got a haircut and tried to reset.

Except that it's no different to what it always has been - regardless of our success.

Adelaide has always struggled to attract established players who don't have a pre-existing link to SA. We've managed to attract fringe players, and SA guns, but we've never landed a non-SA gun in the club's 34 years.
Carey?

Phil Walsh was an assistant at Port when we hired him as our senior coach, wasn't he? Or maybe he was previously then went elsewhere before we hired him.

Do Victorian clubs land many big name recruits who aren't Victorian?
There are quite a few SA & WA kids who have been traded from the QLD & NSW clubs to Victorian clubs. Victoria just has so much more to offer in off-field opportunities, not to mention being the "home of football", and everything else.

I'd suggest SA would be the least attractive state as far as young gun footballers are concerned. Vic is #1, followed by WA & QLD, then NSW, with SA a distant last. Not sure where Tas will fit into that strata, probably alongside or slightly below SA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back