Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There are quite a few SA & WA kids who have been traded from the QLD & NSW clubs to Victorian clubs. Victoria just has so much more to offer in off-field opportunities, not to mention being the "home of football", and everything else.

I'd suggest SA would be the least attractive state as far as young gun footballers are concerned. Vic is #1, followed by WA & QLD, then NSW, with SA a distant last. Not sure where Tas will fit into that strata, probably alongside or slightly below SA.
Putting aside where a player grew up, I think it’s actually more about club preferences than state preferences:

1.Geelong/Collingwood/Sydney
2.Richmond/Carlton/Essendon/Brisbane
3.All other Vic clubs except North
4.All SA/WA clubs
5.GC/GWS/North/Tas

Putting aside where a player grew up, I think it’s actually more about club preferences than state preferences:

4.All SA/WA clubs
5.GC/GWS/North/Tas
Gold coast will start to rise soon because of the climate factor and the state media isn't all over you nor do many people on the gold coast care about AFL, it's the perfect place to live out your dream of being an AFL player or professional athlete without the media or cyber bullying.

Think of Rachele, would he have gotten the same amount of shit he's gotten from media and fans if he played for Gold Coast?

Luko has secured that bag of money and spoken about as regarded highly but if he played the same way he does up there down here at an SA club he'd be whipping boy number 1 there a lot of games he just coasts through.

Last five years of trading

1722567290761.png

Go home factor isn't really there for SA players. 8 players have gone home, 6 moving states but choosing somewhere other than SA, 3 leaving SA

Not really there for WA either. 8 returned home, 5 moving states but not home, 7 leaving WA

Clear go home factor for VIC, with 28 returning home, 6 moving states but not home, 13 leaving VIC

Last edited:

This is going by my failing memory but I am certain he lived here as a teenager. Again this is just what I think I remember in the media back when he got drafted but when his parent's marriage failed his mum brought them (Wayne and any siblings) over to Adelaide to live. Hence his North Adel connection as a junior and SOO eligibility - until they changed the rules!

This is going by my failing memory but I am certain he lived here as a teenager. Again this is just what I think I remember in the media back when he got drafted but when his parent's marriage failed his mum brought them (Wayne and any siblings) over to Adelaide to live. Hence his North Adel connection as a junior and SOO eligibility - until they changed the rules!
Yep came here when 13 and was plucked from Norths Under 17s to play for the Kangas

View attachment 2066053

Go home factor isn't really there for SA players. 8 players have gone home, 6 moving states but choosing somewhere other than SA, 3 leaving SA

Not really there for WA either. 8 returned home, 5 moving states but not home, 7 leaving WA
vic to vic for SA born players stands out as a problem.

4.All SA/WA clubs
5.GC/GWS/North/Tas
Fair comment about some clubs being more attractive than others, even within the same state.

I'd have the WA clubs 1-2 tiers above the SA clubs. The WA clubs have very little difficulty in luring WA kids back from the East, compared with the SA clubs. Not surprising, given that Perth has the best climate and lifestyle of all Australian capital cities (in my personal opinion).

View attachment 2066053

Clear go home factor for VIC, with 28 returning home, 6 moving states but not home, 13 leaving VIC
Great post!

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2066053

Love the time and effort you have put in. A factor that so many Vics return back to Victoria is there are just so many more clubs based in Victoria. Hence there is more opportunity for a player to return. There is also more opportunity to create a bidding war between clubs to get a more attractive offer.

An advantage SA has, is the cost of living (albeit still high) is less than the Eastern States, therefore the player in SA on the same wage as a player in the Eastern States is actually financially better off.

Love the time and effort you have put in. A factor that so many Vics return back to Victoria is there are just so many more clubs based in Victoria. Hence there is more opportunity for a player to return. There is also more opportunity to create a bidding war between clubs to get a more attractive offer.

An advantage SA has, is the cost of living (albeit still high) is less than the Eastern States, therefore the player in SA on the same wage as a player in the Eastern States is actually financially better off.
Decent players can more than make up the difference in cost of living with greater access to endorsements outside the cap in Victoria

No we havent been better. Voss was coming off a tv show. Walsh had worked with us previously. Its only really Richardson.

Crows have had probably more interstate assistant coaches than we have over the last decade
Yep, both clubs have the same issue.

As the Victorian football industry has grown, the need to leave there lessens.

AFL clubs have more assistant coaches than in the past.

Plus the rise of their under-age system in Victoria. Professional coaches there too.

Also

Queensland and NSW also have more job opportunities for coaching in their ( AFL funded) junior systems.

Both our clubs staff are predominantly guys who have lived in SA before, family ties here (Goldsack) or couldn't get a job in Victoria.

WCE/Freo similar.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There are quite a few SA & WA kids who have been traded from the QLD & NSW clubs to Victorian clubs. Victoria just has so much more to offer in off-field opportunities, not to mention being the "home of football", and everything else.

I'd suggest SA would be the least attractive state as far as young gun footballers are concerned. Vic is #1, followed by WA & QLD, then NSW, with SA a distant last. Not sure where Tas will fit into that strata, probably alongside or slightly below SA.
cant see how WA ranks higher than NSW (or lifestyle based QLD). Haven't WA teams also struggled to attract elite non WA talent in trades (perhaps they have and I forget). SYD and MLB are both global cities - 5m or so each - and I feel the attractions of both would outrank all other states:

VIC
NSW
QLD
SA/WA
TAS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2066053

but surely on a prorata basis this is showing MORE players returning to SA (8 players to 2 clubs) than VIC (28 to 10 clubs)?

I can only speculate but i think some feel Rachele wont be happy with the way he was treated which means may look for trades. Obviously looking for midfield time. His contract means he really cant go anywhere. He signed it, so unless the club gives him permission to seek opportunities in the midfield elsewhere, he is stuck.
yes mate agree with that speculation but hoping for Kane McGoodwin to confirm where in the media it was reported as that is somewhat concerning if true and perhaps accounting for his underwhelming year

yes mate agree with that speculation but hoping for Kane McGoodwin to confirm where in the media it was reported as that is somewhat concerning if true and perhaps accounting for his underwhelming year
Can't recall which journalist... think it was one of the Victorians... so good chance they are just speculating.

Difficult to tell these days what rumours have some semblance of truth & which are pure speculation.

At least with Rachele he is contracted long term, so we hold the cards.

View attachment 2066053

Could you do a total at the bottom? Which adds those who have gone home and subtracts those that have shifted but not gone home?

Edit: you could also do a % of those that have gone home against total that shifted

Saw Jimmy bartel is stepping down from his footy director role at GWS, and is keen to explore new opportunities.

Would 1000% offer him any job he wanted
Certainly, presents himself as knowledgeable. I would make him a good offer.

Certainly, presents himself as knowledgeable. I would make him a good offer.
Interesting theory engaging a former player from an extremely successful program to a board

As opposed to a former player who may or may not be suitable to the role

I wouldn't be against it, though no idea if Bartel would be interested or even the right fit of a board position here

I imagine he was an AFL hire at GWS

2028 can't come soon enough

Interesting theory engaging a former player from an extremely successful program to a board

As opposed to a former player who may or may not be suitable to the role

I wouldn't be against it, though no idea if Bartel would be interested or even the right fit of a board position here

I imagine he was an AFL hire at GWS

2028 can't come soon enough
I'd offer him any role from football director to coach tbh. Guy talks a lot of sense, seems a real footy head who thinks about the game, comes from a successful club as a player (and semi successful as a board member), was a gun player. Would be an extremely good get in any role

I'd offer him any role from football director to coach tbh. Guy talks a lot of sense, seems a real footy head who thinks about the game, comes from a successful club as a player (and semi successful as a board member), was a gun player. Would be an extremely good get in any role
Fair call

Not sure anything more than part time interstate would suit him though atm

Can't recall which journalist... think it was one of the Victorians... so good chance they are just speculating.

Difficult to tell these days what rumours have some semblance of truth & which are pure speculation.

At least with Rachele he is contracted long term, so we hold the cards.

Its the playstation trade season now and the media are the worst. All the footy journalists try and make a name for themselves by basically throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks. They know 99.9% Rachele isnt going anywhere, but because he seemed unhappy they know that if a club comes at the Crows with a top 10 pick for Rachele, they will likely get him with maybe some steak knife trading of lower drafts picks. This rumour is clearly completely made up but they say it anyway because every player is for sale with the right price. If the Crows came at Oliver last year with 3 top 5 picks, hands down Melbourne would have not only packed his bags for him, they would personally drive him to our clubs front door.

Without knowing what was said or hearing it, really we know its merely rumour mongering for ratings. On the back of his current form though, even if Rachele wanted out, he probably has made himself untradeable. What the Crows would want for him is no where near what a club would offer. Right now I couldnt see a club offering us a round 1 pick for him anyway. He simply doesnt do enough. Has the talent in spades but as his matured he has never really put together a spectacular run of games like Rankine has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back