Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I see a lot of comparisons in this thread between Jack Lukosius and Jack Watts.

For me, the more apt comparison is Lewis Johnston.

We do have a need for a forward with Tex retiring, Himmelberg leaving, Gollant being delisted, Burgess not being up to it, and also having still not replaced McAdam.

Cook to me projects more as a wingman.

Curtin could fill this role, but only in the short term. Longer term he’s clearly either an inside or outside mid.

The only Lukosius trade I would be entertaining is one where we send away one or both of Keane / Berry.

We are flush for tallish defenders and should cash in on Keane this offseason IMO. You can’t ever play all 4 of Murray, Butts, Worrell and Keane in the same side, and while he’s not the sexiest player, I’d trust Jordon Butts to shut a key forward down in a final way more than I’d trust Mark Keane.

We have enough “attacking” players to play inside D50 to surround those pillars, with the likes of Hinge, Nankervis, Milera, Ryan and Michalanney providing the drive out of defence (in addition to Worrell). Point of my story - trade Keane to address list needs while his value is up.

Berry won’t have as much trade value as Keane, but he will fetch a decent draft pick. Something in the 30s I would suggest. Sure, he’s a great tackler. But he’s not quick, does not kick goals, is incapable of getting the ball 25 times in a game, and we don’t need him.

So, I think we can absolutely get a 2nd round pick for Keane, and a 3rd round pick for Berry. It seems likely that both would go to Vic clubs, but you never know.

Gold Coast want points to match a Lombard bid. Hell, maybe they want Sam Berry.

A net result of Keane and Berry out, for Lukosius in would be smart business.

Do I expect Luko to become some sort of roaring success here? No. There is definitely some Lewis Johnston here, BUT, it’s worth a shot for this price because the talent is undeniable and it might just click.

Any suggestions of first round picks being involved without GC picks coming back our way are laughable. Luko’s value has absolutely tumbled since he was drafted and nobody in the industry would even attempt to argue that he’s now worth any more than about pick 18-20 (and that’s being very generous).

Last edited:

I don’t know how anyone could have watched Nicks answer and confirmed he met with Lukoscious. He played a straight bat and gave the usual reply we do to these type of questions.

Apparently Carlton are also chasing Lukosius and he is currently on $700K.
One I feel wouldn't be high on their list given they have Curnow, McKay and SDK who I think has looked quite good when 3rd fiddle - but shown a lot as a ruck too.

If they were interested, I do wonder if it's as a forward or whether teams are interested in him across half back.

Obrien destroyed English.
Hope we haven't thrown a 1M contract at English. That's something we would do.
Been destroyed by everyone in the ruck this year. I feel it was only a few weeks back that I heard he hasn't won a single hitout count vs his opponent this season.

His big issue is he he lacks mongrel which you really want from a ruck. I wish O'Brien had more of it (who is still miles ahead of English on that front) or just used his uncoordinated body to run into the opposition more.

English is still great around the ground, he's kind of the opposite of O'Brien. Neither being great tap ruckman, one wins a lot while the other struggles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luko is on huge coin up at the Suns, they need to make salary cap space to accommodate their star players and up and coming ones, in particular Mac Andrew.
Surely we have huge salary cap space though.
Like I've said elsewhere, hope there's also a mid lined up or going to still be difficult to compete with the good sides.

Even yesterday's game we struggled with field position.

I see a lot of comparisons in this thread between Jack Lukosius and Jack Watts.

For me, the more apt comparison is Lewis Johnston.

We do have a need for a forward with Tex retiring, Himmelberg leaving, Gollant being delisted, Burgess not being up to it, and also having still not replaced McAdam.

Cook to me projects more as a wingman.

Curtin could fill this role, but only in the short term. Longer term he’s clearly either an inside or outside mid.

The only Lukosius trade I would be entertaining is one where we send away one or both of Keane / Berry.

We are flush for tallish defenders and should cash in on Keane this offseason IMO. You can’t ever play all 4 of Murray, Butts, Worrell and Keane in the same side, and while he’s not the sexiest player, I’d trust Jordon Butts to shut a key forward down in a final way more than I’d trust Mark Keane.

We have enough “attacking” players to play inside D50 to surround those pillars, with the likes of Hinge, Nankervis, Milera, Ryan and Michalanney providing the drive out of defence (in addition to Worrell). Point of my story - trade Keane to address list needs while his value is up.

Berry won’t have as much trade value as Keane, but he will fetch a decent draft pick. Something in the 30s I would suggest. Sure, he’s a great tackler. But he’s not quick, does not kick goals, is incapable of getting the ball 25 times in a game, and we don’t need him.

So, I think we can absolutely get a 2nd round pick for Keane, and a 3rd round pick for Berry. It seems likely that both would go to Vic clubs, but you never know.

Gold Coast want points to match a Lombard bid. Hell, maybe they want Sam Berry.

A net result of Keane and Berry out, for Lukosius in would be smart business.

Do I expect Luko to become some sort of roaring success here? No. There is definitely some Lewis Johnston here, BUT, it’s worth a shot for this price because the talent is undeniable and it might just click.

Any suggestions of first round picks being involved without GC picks coming back out way are laughable. Luko’s value has absolutely tumbled since he was drafted and nobody in the industry would even attempt to argue that he’s now worth any more than about pick 18-20 (and that’s being very generous).
Berry has kicked 3 goals this year.
Winner against Carlton.....
he is quick.... not rapid or electric.... but has a bit of toe and strength for his role and position.

I do agree he is surplus at the crows with crouch, dowling, curtin, and edwards can play a similar role to Berry.

Keane can be surplus depending on how we want to structure.

(Attacking) We can either set up as one key defender in Murray and have Worrell and Keane be on the CHF and Third Tall.

(Defensive) or we play more traditional and have Butts as FB, Murray CHB and Worrell third tall.

Surely we have huge salary cap space though.
Like I've said elsewhere, hope there's also a mid lined up or going to still be difficult to compete with the good sides.

Even yesterday's game we struggled with field position.
Yeah, I'd have thought (or damn well hoped) that salary cap space is the least of our problems. Luko's fat contract probably works in our favour if it's going to be a salary dump situation for Gold Coast where we take on the contract and give up minimal draft capital in return.

Anyone able to post the article (locked).
Adelaide is making a bold play to bring South Australian Jack Lukosius home.
It is understood Crows coach Matthew Nicks met the 24-year-old swingman on the Gold Coast last week as the club attempts to pull off its third major recruiting raid in four years.
Lukosius, who was drafted from SANFL club Woodville-West Torrens with pick 2 at the 2018 AFL national draft, is contracted for two more seasons, but could be gettable after appearing to fall out of favour at the Suns.
The 195cm key utility was dropped from the Gold Coast team for last Saturday’s round 22 clash against Essendon for the first time in his 115-game, 77-goal career.

One of his key forward line replacements, Mac Andrew, kicked four goals, including the matchwinner after the final siren, while other key forwards Ben King (three goals) and Jed Walter (two) booted five majors between them.

Lukosius, though highly rated, could be available for trade as the Suns attempt to balance their books to bring triple premiership-winning Richmond playmaker Daniel Rioli to the club to reunite with his Tigers flag coach Damien Hardwick.

Rioli had a career-high 36 disposals against the Saints on Sunday and won’t come cheaply.
The Crows swooped on captain Jordan Dawson from Sydney in the 2021 trade period and, a year later, grabbed Izak Rankine from the Suns.

Rankine was taken one spot below Lukosius at the 2018 draft.
Lukosius, who has kicked 60 goals in the past two seasons for Gold Coast, has been on the Crows’ radar ever since he was drafted, but speculation has increased in recent weeks that he could become available in this year’s exchange period.

Former Adelaide and Geelong forward Josh Jenkins said on SEN last week that he believed Lukosius is “less than a 50 per cent chance” to be at the Suns next season.

Lukosius is believed to be happy on the Gold Coast and enjoys the laidback lifestyle of being a footballer in the Sunshine State.

He signed a four-year contract extension midway through 2022, saying “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else”.

But after being moved all around the ground by Hardwick – and now being dropped –Lukosius, who has a preference to play forward, is almost certain to have questioned his position at the club.
Adelaide could only watch on in 2018 as Gold Coast pounced on two of the most-highly-touted junior products to ever come out of SA with its first two picks of the national draft.

Lukosius went first, the Suns taking the Henley High School product with the second overall selection after Carlton drafted midfielder Sam Walsh with pick 1.

A generational key forward with running patterns out of Nick Riewoldt’s playbook was a pre-draft assessment of Lukosius, who booted four goals in his SANFL league debut as a 17-year-old in a preliminary final against Sturt.

Rankine went next.

The kid, who some say is the most talented player the state has produced, was running rings around men at 16, and capped off his SANFL career with three goals and 12 score involvements before being drafted.

What happened after that has been pulled apart ever since.
After Port Adelaide took future captain Connor Rozee at pick 5, the Crows drafted Chayce Jones (pick 9) and Ned McHenry (16) in the first round.

But forget that for the moment – it’s not about them now.

It’s about what might happen next.

Is the ending to the movie the Crows were forced to watch about to be completely rewritten?

First, Adelaide took back Rankine in a 2022 trade.

Will the Crows flip the script completely and reunite the pair this year?

Then there’s the other question, what’s he worth?

Lukosius made things look easy at junior level and, at times, he still does – that laconic, yet text book, kicking action can be irresistible.

But he’s been called out for taking things too easy during his time on the Gold Coast, with Fox Footy’s David King taking aim at Lukosius’ defensive efforts last year.

“You know why he’s a whipping boy? Because he puts in efforts like this. This destroys any form of culture you have at your footy club,” King said of Lukosius’ decision not to chase Bomber Nic Martin in round 2.

“It makes me wonder: Is Jack the sickness or the cure? Is he there to correct this problem and take this club forward? He’s on big money and he’s been a high draft pick and all those things, but in the end, you act your way in and out of a footy club.”
It’s that competitiveness that might make a potential suitor think twice.

But at 195cm, his skill set is rare.

“Jack’s a very special talent,” long-time AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan said before that draft.

He wouldn’t command anything near the selection he was taken with, but it would be hard for both SA clubs not to be, at least, interested.

The Power’s list is in a very different spot, compared to its cross-town rival.

Does it need another lead-up forward alongside Todd Marshall? Probably not.

But add Lukosius’ strengths to any contender, and it probably makes them better, especially if you’re a contender that loses Dan Houston’s kicking off half-back, given he has been linked with a return back to Victoria.

With the Crows building its next-gen forward line around Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty, Lukosius might be the icing on the cake as the third tall at West Lakes in the post-Taylor Walker era – whenever that comes.

Throw in potential father-son selection Tyler Welsh and Cro
ws fans would be excited about the club’s attacking future.

But what’s the asking price?

Or, more poignantly, what is another club willing to pay?

It depends. Are you paying for the 24-year-old, 39-goal forward from 2023 or the guy dropped by a team out of the finals race?

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder – in a footy sense.

HOW CROWS COULD GET A DEAL DONE​

Thanks to future trading, if both SA clubs want a deal done, it can happen. But of current 2024 picks, the Crows come up short. They currently hold pick No.4, which would be way overs to lure him back home. Especially with homegrown midfield prospect Sid Draper in the mix. Their next pick sits at 42, which is probably unders. Could the Crows flip No.4 for the Suns’ first pick – currently No.7 – and a later pick for Lukosius? Standing in the way of that is chatter Gold Coast will put No.7 on the table to try and claim Richmond’s Rioli. Just like last year, the Suns have to be careful of an early bid on academy prospect Leo Lombard. Some clubs are keen to split early picks this year given the depth of talent in the top 10, so the Crows could look to move down the order through some funky trading to find something that satisfies the Suns. But otherwise it’s probably a future second that gets this done.
- Josh Barnes

HOW PORT COULD GET A DEAL DONE​

Should the Power finish second on the ladder, its first choice would be at No.37, before we get into bid matching on draft night. The Suns would at least start with a better asking price than that for Lukosius, given he bagged 39 goals last year. So where does that leave the Power? Probably again looking at future picks. Unless the wildcard of Dan Houston shakes things up. The Power must drive a hard bargain if Houston does ask to get back to Melbourne and ask for two first-round picks. That's two big bargaining chips to use to fill a hole off half-back, even if Lukosius wants to play forward. It’s a tricky road for Port Adelaide to walk given the amount of draft capital shifted out last year to get in their trade targets and the club will be wary of giving away too many chances of replenishing the list.
- Josh Barnes

Anyone able to post the article (locked).
It is understood Crows coach Matthew Nicks met the 24-year-old swingman on the Gold Coast last week as the club attempts to pull off its third major recruiting raid in four years.

Lukosius, who was drafted from SANFL club Woodville-West Torrens with pick 2 at the 2018 AFL national draft, is contracted for two more seasons, but could be gettable after appearing to fall out of favour at the Suns.

The 195cm key utility was dropped from the Gold Coast team for last Saturday’s round 22 clash against Essendon for the first time in his 115-game, 77-goal career.

One of his key forward line replacements, Mac Andrew, kicked four goals, including the matchwinner after the final siren, while other key forwards Ben King (three goals) and Jed Walter (two) booted five majors between them.

Lukosius, though highly rated, could be available for trade as the Suns attempt to balance their books to bring triple premiership-winning Richmond playmaker Daniel Rioli to the club to reunite with his Tigers flag coach Damien Hardwick.

Rioli had a career-high 36 disposals against the Saints on Sunday and won’t come cheaply.

The Crows swooped on captain Jordan Dawson from Sydney in the 2021 trade period and, a year later, grabbed Izak Rankine from the Suns.

Rankine was taken one spot below Lukosius at the 2018 draft.

Lukosius, who has kicked 60 goals in the past two seasons for Gold Coast, has been on the Crows’ radar ever since he was drafted, but speculation has increased in recent weeks that he could become available in this year’s exchange period.

Former Adelaide and Geelong forward Josh Jenkins said on SEN last week that he believed Lukosius is “less than a 50 per cent chance” to be at the Suns next season.

Lukosius is believed to be happy on the Gold Coast and enjoys the laidback lifestyle of being a footballer in the Sunshine State.

He signed a four-year contract extension midway through 2022, saying “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else”.

But after being moved all around the ground by Hardwick – and now being dropped –Lukosius, who has a preference to play forward, is almost certain to have questioned his position at the club.

Adelaide could only watch on in 2018 as Gold Coast pounced on two of the most-highly-touted junior products to ever come out of SA with its first two picks of the national draft.

Lukosius went first, the Suns taking the Henley High School product with the second overall selection after Carlton drafted midfielder Sam Walsh with pick 1.

A generational key forward with running patterns out of Nick Riewoldt’s playbook was a pre-draft assessment of Lukosius, who booted four goals in his SANFL league debut as a 17-year-old in a preliminary final against Sturt.

Rankine went next.

The kid, who some say is the most talented player the state has produced, was running rings around men at 16, and capped off his SANFL career with three goals and 12 score involvements before being drafted.

What happened after that has been pulled apart ever since.

After Port Adelaide took future captain Connor Rozee at pick 5, the Crows drafted Chayce Jones (pick 9) and Ned McHenry (16) in the first round.

But forget that for the moment – it’s not about them now.

It’s about what might happen next.

Is the ending to the movie the Crows were forced to watch about to be completely rewritten?

First, Adelaide took back Rankine in a 2022 trade.

Will the Crows flip the script completely and reunite the pair this year?

Then there’s the other question, what’s he worth?

Lukosius made things look easy at junior level and, at times, he still does – that laconic, yet text book, kicking action can be irresistible.

But he’s been called out for taking things too easy during his time on the Gold Coast, with Fox Footy’s David King taking aim at Lukosius’ defensive efforts last year.

“You know why he’s a whipping boy? Because he puts in efforts like this. This destroys any form of culture you have at your footy club,” King said of Lukosius’ decision not to chase Bomber Nic Martin in round 2.

“It makes me wonder: Is Jack the sickness or the cure? Is he there to correct this problem and take this club forward? He’s on big money and he’s been a high draft pick and all those things, but in the end, you act your way in and out of a footy club.”

It’s that competitiveness that might make a potential suitor think twice.

But at 195cm, his skill set is rare.

“Jack’s a very special talent,” long-time AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan said before that draft.

He wouldn’t command anything near the selection he was taken with, but it would be hard for both SA clubs not to be, at least, interested.

The Power’s list is in a very different spot, compared to its cross-town rival.

Does it need another lead-up forward alongside Todd Marshall? Probably not.

But add Lukosius’ strengths to any contender, and it probably makes them better, especially if you’re a contender that loses Dan Houston’s kicking off half-back, given he has been linked with a return back to Victoria.

With the Crows building its next-gen forward line around Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty, Lukosius might be the icing on the cake as the third tall at West Lakes in the post-Taylor Walker era – whenever that comes.

Throw in potential father-son selection Tyler Welsh and Crows fans would be excited about the club’s attacking future.

But what’s the asking price?

Or, more poignantly, what is another club willing to pay?

It depends. Are you paying for the 24-year-old, 39-goal forward from 2023 or the guy dropped by a team out of the finals race?

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder – in a footy sense.

HOW CROWS COULD GET A DEAL DONE​

Thanks to future trading, if both SA clubs want a deal done, it can happen. But of current 2024 picks, the Crows come up short. They currently hold pick No.4, which would be way overs to lure him back home. Especially with homegrown midfield prospect Sid Draper in the mix. Their next pick sits at 42, which is probably unders. Could the Crows flip No.4 for the Suns’ first pick – currently No.7 – and a later pick for Lukosius? Standing in the way of that is chatter Gold Coast will put No.7 on the table to try and claim Richmond’s Rioli. Just like last year, the Suns have to be careful of an early bid on academy prospect Leo Lombard. Some clubs are keen to split early picks this year given the depth of talent in the top 10, so the Crows could look to move down the order through some funky trading to find something that satisfies the Suns. But otherwise it’s probably a future second that gets this done.
- Josh Barnes

HOW PORT COULD GET A DEAL DONE​

Should the Power finish second on the ladder, its first choice would be at No.37, before we get into bid matching on draft night. The Suns would at least start with a better asking price than that for Lukosius, given he bagged 39 goals last year. So where does that leave the Power? Probably again looking at future picks. Unless the wildcard of Dan Houston shakes things up. The Power must drive a hard bargain if Houston does ask to get back to Melbourne and ask for two first-round picks. That's two big bargaining chips to use to fill a hole off half-back, even if Lukosius wants to play forward. It’s a tricky road for Port Adelaide to walk given the amount of draft capital shifted out last year to get in their trade targets and the club will be wary of giving away too many chances of replenishing the list.
- Josh Barnes
Lol newscorp. Forgets we have Melbourne's second rounder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back