Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • No

Votes: 158 82.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If we land Draper and still get luko this year... Among with a few sliders... That's a solid outcome
I just have a feeling if we get Luko, he is going to do a 'Rankine' with us and look a much better player and it will look like great business getting him. Just a hunch

We should have traded Laird 3 years ago. That’s the kind of shrewd list management good clubs carry out. It takes courage to trade chad wingard and Dan Houston in their prime. But you can get greatly rewarded for doing so.
Im not sure Port can take credit for Houston potentially leaving, sounds like this is Houston's decision, not Ports.

Stringer had off-field issues and issues with his team mates on his poor training standards and lack of professionalism, it’s not a great comparison

It’s also a long bow to draw to suggest that Luko being dropped impacts his trade value, Izak was dropped and we still paid a 1st round

I think we need to not create low-ball expectations, he’s a high end pick and talent, only been dropped once in his career and is under contract.

Minimum will be a future first and something else…..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Rankine wasn't contracted though. You don't want high wage earners sitting in the magoos hampering your list management of higher value assets.

FOG's 2024 vs Lukos 2023.

FOG: 1.7 goals, .7 behinds, 1.7 tackles, 4.8marks (1.4 contested), .6 Goal Assists, 7.1 kicks, 4 handballs, 2 inside 50's, DE 76.7%, 209 meters gained,

Luko: 1.8 goals, 1 behind, 1.1 tackles, 6.4 marks (1 contested), .7 Goal Assists, 11. kicks, 1.9 handballs, 4.4 inside 50's, DE 69.8%, 380 meters gained.

Keep in mind Luko was 2 years younger in 2023 than FOG is in 2024. If you are trading for Luko you are trading for his upside and what he can do as a third forward which he was in 2023 (behind Casboult/King).

I think people are reading too much into the fact he is dropped the same week Gold Coast are eliminated from finals contention and a day after the media re-ran the story that he is "gettable".

Important to trade for players based on what they can provide - and I really think he would be an amazing 3rd tall alongside FOG/TT long term.

A forward line of FOG,TT, LUKO,Rachele, Rankine would be absolutely incredible and put us into top 4 contention IMO. Thats a pick 12, pick 1, Pick 3, Pick 6 and Pick 4 all of whom are 25 and under and entering their prime.

great post

Dimma plays a chaos ball game style which I don’t think suits Luko.

Get Luko in a team with fast ball movement that can hit up forwards, he will dominant

Any suggestion that being dropped once in his career translates to not coughing up in a trade is ridiculous TBH

The only thing being dropped influences, is the players decision to stay or go…..

Rankine wasn't contracted though. You don't want high wage earners sitting in the magoos hampering your list management of higher value assets.

good point

we still paid a 1st round pick for Izak who was uncontested, so any suggestion that we will get away with paying 2 x 2nd round picks for a contracted player it’s just not going to happen.

good point

we still paid a 1st round pick for Izak who was uncontested, so any suggestion that we will get away with paying 2 x 2nd round picks for a contracted player it’s just not going to happen.
I think the missing point is we dont have to pay anything

If we dont like the deal we say no and he stays at GC

I dont get why people forget this

Stringer had off-field issues and issues with his team mates on his poor training standards and lack of professionalism, it’s not a great comparison

It’s also a long bow to draw to suggest that Luko being dropped impacts his trade value, Izak was dropped and we still paid a 1st round

I think we need to not create low-ball expectations, he’s a high end pick and talent, only been dropped once in his career and is under contract.

First Crack has him as a pick in the twenties.

Doubt it. Future first would be Max.

I hope this has been taken up to the appeals board (if such a thing exists :D).

Always enjoy Sanders content and figured if you didn't, you'd just put on ignore.
Agree. He didn't seem to have been a bad boy immediately before his banning. Similarly for 1970, who was also talking sense. What is going on here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God damn. Luko is not a need. where are we going to play him?

Clearly he isn’t suited to a wing. Hardwick and Dew would have established him there if they thought he had the tools.

So why would we even consider it?

Because he’s from SA and people at the club are hanging onto his draft position?

He’s been a complete bust. And the notion that he’ll thrive in our environment is a load of horseshit too. This the AFC remember.
With Walker on his way out, he would be a good option. 24 this year (today actually lol). Who knows how Jack feels? Perhaps he wants out and is sick of the environment/loved Dew/Dimma isn't right for him. He may thrive as a 3rd mobile tall, our wings are set with Sholl, Hinge, Cook and Jones all moving through there.

I think the AFC will do what is required to get him except give up their pick 1 this year. Perhaps a player such as Himmelberg, Gollant, McHenry or Hamill into the mix with 1st and 2nd round swaps.

Im not sure Port can take credit for Houston potentially leaving, sounds like this is Houston's decision, not Ports.

Bullshit.

There’s an interview from March this year where they asked if he was going back to Melbourne and he said not a chance, Port for life.

This 100% what Port do. Get maximum value to suit there agenda.

They did it with Wingard and they did it with Polec.

They also tried with Hartlett until they realized there were no buyers.

They are ruthless with their trading. Doesn’t always off but they make it work.

I hope this has been taken up to the appeals board (if such a thing exists :D).

Always enjoy Sanders content and figured if you didn't, you'd just put on ignore.

A lot of what Sanders says is misunderstood humour which gets lost between the odd snipe imo.
An affliction somewhat generational and can appreciate.

11 years as Crow in Bali and my current account created on return to Aust and had one suspension.

It was on the politics board when I referred to the Greens as Watermelons , being red on the inside.

Apparently I was referring to breasts in someone’s opinion and duly suspended.
And no there is no appeals board , it’s clearly not a democracy .

Agreed re Stringer, it is different. But the similarity is that the dogs indicated that they wanted him out, same as Crouch when everybody knew we wouldn't match.

My point is that Luko's form has been really bad, notably on the weekend and it looks like Luko isn't trying, 6 kicks, 4 handballs against West Coast.

Further, Luko has been underwhelming his whole career to date, and the sentiment to him on this board, who follow him closer than most, has softened each year. He has not been able to consolidate a position on field, and now has been dropped, as you say for the first time.

Comparisons with Rankine are not relevant here, particularly as Rankine was 2 years ago and had played a lot less games.

To suggest that he is worth a crows future first, which is a top ten pick, depends on whether Luko is seen as a best 18 player in a premiership team. Right now, he's not even best 18 in a perineal bottom 5 club.

Is he worth a future first at Adelaide is the real question here, but to answer that we need to know what position he plays. As a forward, we have Thilthorpe and Fogarty, so he could take Walkers role, but again, Gold Coast have him behind King and Walters, and even Mac Andrews has moved past him. Clohesy has taken what could have been Lukos spot on the wing, and plays a bit like him too. And GC are stacked with half back flankers.

So we don't even know where he plays. Why give up a first? I don't see his value as having held, that's the bottom line.

At best a late first, which we don't have and won't have next year.

Can't get much better of a comparison than Stringer and Luko trade wise. Both top 5 pick forwards that were best 22 at their club for the first 5 seasons and then wanted out. Both Stringer and Luko were contracted players for the following year.

IIRC the Dogs wanted a top 10 pick for Stringer before taking 25 & 30.

Should be very similar to whichever Adelaide Club he nominates.

Can't get much better of a comparison than Stringer and Luko trade wise. Both top 5 pick forwards that were best 22 at their club for the first 5 seasons and then wanted out. Both Stringer and Luko were contracted players for the following year.

IIRC the Dogs wanted a top 10 pick for Stringer before taking 25 & 30.

Should be very similar to whichever Adelaide Club he nominates.
Stringer had more runs on the board.

Agreed re Stringer, it is different. But the similarity is that the dogs indicated that they wanted him out, same as Crouch when everybody knew we wouldn't match.

My point is that Luko's form has been really bad, notably on the weekend and it looks like Luko isn't trying, 6 kicks, 4 handballs against West Coast.

Further, Luko has been underwhelming his whole career to date, and the sentiment to him on this board, who follow him closer than most, has softened each year. He has not been able to consolidate a position on field, and now has been dropped, as you say for the first time.

Comparisons with Rankine are not relevant here, particularly as Rankine was 2 years ago and had played a lot less games.

To suggest that he is worth a crows future first, which is a top ten pick, depends on whether Luko is seen as a best 18 player in a premiership team. Right now, he's not even best 18 in a perineal bottom 5 club.

Is he worth a future first at Adelaide is the real question here, but to answer that we need to know what position he plays. As a forward, we have Thilthorpe and Fogarty, so he could take Walkers role, but again, Gold Coast have him behind King and Walters, and even Mac Andrews has moved past him. Clohesy has taken what could have been Lukos spot on the wing, and plays a bit like him too. And GC are stacked with half back flankers.

So we don't even know where he plays. Why give up a first? I don't see his value as having held, that's the bottom line.

At best a late first, which we don't have and won't have next year.

Thats fair if you are only considering 2024 to gauge his worth.

If you look at 2023 where he was played in his proper position he had a great year. 39 goals, 8 Brownlow votes, 6th in B&F. He had a better year than Rankine did for us in 2023 and FOG is having for us this year.

Its clear him and Hardwick ain't gonna work and its a big advantage for whichever Adelaide team he nominates. His price last year if he wanted out would have been considerably more.

Bullshit.

There’s an interview from March this year where they asked if he was going back to Melbourne and he said not a chance, Port for life.
This may surprise, but players often lie to the media. And even if it wasn't a lie at the time, players can also change their mind over the course of a year.

Izak Rankine in March 2022: "I'm really excited for the future of the club, the future that we're really trying to create and the culture that we're trying to build here."

Mitch McGovern in August 2017: "I love the playing group I’m playing with, but also the staff and everyone involved. The culture is fantastic here. It’s one of the best-run clubs that I can see and I’m glad to be a part of it."

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back