Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 162 82.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You would hand a 2nd over every day of the week for him imo..good to hear the outside noise (media) is aligning with this sort of value, not that it has any bearing and any trade
I hope its a F2 and not 2024 2nd.

Fox Footy last night saying Luko is worth a 2nd rounder. :thumbsu:
1 thing to keep in mind is the offseason before we spent pick 5 of Rankine he was on the outer at a bottom 3 Gold Coast. And the general feeling was he was a looking like a bust who barely was worth a 2nd. Then he had his breakout and his value sky-rocketed before we traded for him.

Luko for me has obvious talent, experience, sublime skills, and is the prototype size/athleticism for a modern footy player. And also, is a clear upgrade over several best 22 players in our current side. I'm not ignoring his perceived negatives, however none of those cancel out any of the above.

Bottom line is right now his stocks are low, some people see this as a red flag, but the best list managers make their living on just these types of pickups. I.e. best 22 players for cents on the dollar trades.

Im not sure Port can take credit for Houston potentially leaving, sounds like this is Houston's decision, not Ports.
They PR department are better at framing it as the clubs decision to trade out. Rather than the player wanting to leave.

Port didn't activately trade out Wingard either.
He left them.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

1 thing to keep in mind is the offseason before we spent pick 5 of Rankine he was on the outer at a bottom 3 Gold Coast. And the general feeling was he was a looking like a bust who barely was worth a 2nd. Then he had his breakout and his value sky-rocketed before we traded for him.

Luko for me has obvious talent, experience, sublime skills, and is the prototype size/athleticism for a modern footy player. And also, is a clear upgrade over several best 22 players in our current side. I'm not ignoring his perceived negatives, however none of those cancel out any of the above.

Bottom line is right now his stocks are low, some people see this as a red flag, but the best list managers make their living on just these types of pickups. I.e. best 22 players for cents on the dollar trades.
I am all for taking Luko, but not at the expense of a 1st.

Im fine for a F2 for him.

I am all for taking Luko, but not at the expense of a 1st.

Im fine for a F2 for him.
Yep. That would be about right. Hitting some Buy-low best 22 players is key to list management IMO.

Sydney got Grundy for almost nothing, Hawthorn got Ginni for less then nothing considering the current position of Collingwood right now. Sometimes you gotta take a swing on talent over form.

Luko would be a good get, only if we keep our first rounder this year and bring in a proper mid.

Our bookends are not too bad. Luko is a luxury, not a need.

When you have missed finals for 7 seasons straight, and you are staring down the barrel of a bottom 4 finish, and are an Adelaide based team, there is no such thing as a luxury player!

Port didn't activately trade out Wingard either.
He left them.
That's not the whole truth.

Had it confirmed by one of his home town best mates that he was 100% staying at Port until they threw his name out as trade bait. Port told his manager they'd be open to trading him and he felt betrayed, before ultimately accepting that the move was probably best for both of them, and then took matters into his own hands so that he could choose where to go.

If Port didn't throw his name out there as trade bait, he was 100% staying for 2019.

Had it confirmed by one of his home town best mates that he was 100% staying at Port until they threw his name out as trade bait. Port told his manager they'd be open to trading him and he felt betrayed, before ultimately accepting that the move was probably best for both of them, and then took matters into his own hands so that he could choose where to go.

If Port didn't throw his name out there as trade bait, he was 100% staying for 2019.
Speaking of Wingard, what's happening with him now?

Is there any juice left? I can't imagine the Hawks need a 30+ year old small forward with Ginni and the Wizard now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer also was the leading goalkicker for a premiership club and three times led their goalkicking, was an All Australian, and was in their best dozen players.

Izak Rankine was dropped in 2021, in his second year. He played all of 2022 and had his best year on record before asking for a trade to us.

Luko has been tried in multiple positions and has now been dropped from a failing side at the end of their season as they try new things for the future.

IF GCS want to maintain he's a required player and worth a lot - well, they're doing a terrible job of protecting his trade value.

I reckon Jake Stringer's value was affected by his off field issues including the allegations of him cheating on his partner with a 17-year-old schoolgirl

Otherwise clubs would have gone much harder to get him.

Thats fair if you are only considering 2024 to gauge his worth.

If you look at 2023 where he was played in his proper position he had a great year. 39 goals, 8 Brownlow votes, 6th in B&F. He had a better year than Rankine did for us in 2023 and FOG is having for us this year.

It’s clear him and Hardwick ain't gonna work and it’s a big advantage for whichever Adelaide team he nominates. His price last year if he wanted out would have been considerably more.
And there you go. In a worse team Luko had a BETTER or EQUAL year last year than universally loved Fog this year.

We don’t have much talent wanting to come to SA. F1, perhaps with a second coming back (as the maximum anyone would pay and likely less) in an apparent crappy draft next year is workable in my view. I think Crows finish 7-10 next year so won’t be a top quality pick IMO.

I wonder if the deal is agreed with GC and they have “benched” him to avoid injury as we see in many other global sports?

Stringer also was the leading goalkicker for a premiership club and three times led their goalkicking, was an All Australian, and was in their best dozen players.

Izak Rankine was dropped in 2021, in his second year. He played all of 2022 and had his best year on record before asking for a trade to us.

Luko has been tried in multiple positions and has now been dropped from a failing side at the end of their season as they try new things for the future.

IF GCS want to maintain he's a required player and worth a lot - well, they're doing a terrible job of protecting his trade value.
There are other options. GC and Crows have agreed on a deal and they are “benching” him to avoid serious injury (which would stop the deal)

I wonder if the speculation around Walker is related to whether we can get the Lukosius deal done. If we think the asking price (a first) is too much and can't work a deal to be agreed for 2 x seconds etc (Berry and F2?), then Walker gets the contract offer.

There are other options. GC and Crows have agreed on a deal and they are “benching” him to avoid serious injury (which would stop the deal)
Unlikely if playing in the 2nds.

More likely what Purple says in his sliding doors today, that "it seems Dimma is starting the 2025 season this weekend. Lukosius, Rosas, Fiorini, Jeffrey – all axed for Saturday night's match against Essendon."

Which as you say implies the deal is done.

When you have missed finals for 7 seasons straight, and you are staring down the barrel of a bottom 4 finish, and are an Adelaide based team, there is no such thing as a luxury player!
And the key reason for not playing Finals for 7 years is having the worst midfield in the comp.

It is improving, but still one of the worst.

If getting Luko costs us the chance to upgrade our midfield, he is a luxury.

Like a homeless bloke buying a 85 inch TV.....

I wonder if the speculation around Walker is related to whether we can get the Lukosius deal done. If we think the asking price (a first) is too much and can't work a deal to be agreed for 2 x seconds etc (Berry and F2?), then Walker gets the contract offer.
Tex deserves a farewell game in front of his home crowd.

Given no announcement this week, he has to be playing in 2025.

That is plausible.

List Managers often throw names up as tradeable though.

Ultimately it was Wingards decision to leave though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back