Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting - since yesterday morning reaching out to my MFC contact, I said in jest 'Bit going on with your players and club at the moment I hear..." :$

My contact just said "Watch this space".... bit cryptic, but funny since then reports emerge that Neal-Bullen likely to request trade and Norf talking to Viney.

My takeaway from the short conversation and the tone in my contacts voice was that where there is smoke there is fire.

Just get the feeling players are turning on Goodwin.

I get the feeling it's been happening since 2022.

The trading of picks 2 years in advance is huge.

We are traditionally a club that makes 1 decent move, if any, per year so it's not likely, but an off-season of this would be doable with some creative thinking.

Pick 4 - Lalor/Langford
Pick (Melbourne 2nd) - ?
Pick - Welsh
Rookie - ?
Future 1st - Phillipou
Future 2nd - Luko
Future Future 2nd - phillipou

Plus we would have the Berry pick likely to use if needed. Not sure how this would impact salary cap
I can see us taking Jack Michalanney with our rookie pick

Probably ties in with Houston.

It's pretty wild that this has been announced in this fashion. Did Nicks have a stopover in Melb on his way to see Luko...?

Melb have indicated they'll 'work with the SA based clubs', but honestly, depending on the situation for his returning home that in itself could be a reason to avoid, as harsh as that sounds...

Melb can literally kiss goodbye to any value, because trade or not it sounds like he's out the door...

Why would you trade a 2nd for ANB? He's 29.. probably got only 3 years left. I would do it for q 3rd rounder.
I'm sure internally we're worried about our lack of experience and are looking at some mature options. Not sure about ANB but I can see us targeting Caleb Daniel. Interesting that he was so busy on Sunday when he came on. Putting himself on show

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's my concern. I don't think his age fits our list profile. We're trying to move out these older guys in decline... Smith is done, Laird is on the way down, Crouch won't be far behind him, Tex can probably get through 1 more season with limited expectations on his output. Even Dawson is starting to look like he'll age out of his peak before we're contending. ANB would be the same.

Our forward line isn't looking too bad... Thilthorpe, Fog, Keays, Tex / Welsh, possibly Pedlar, plus Rankine / Rachele / Curtin rotating between forward / midfield. Priorities for us need to be a midfielder, a ruckman, key forward (Welsh) and possibly another key defender if Keane goes. I'd have a go at Lukosius if we can do a deal that doesn't involve a 1st round pick. If ANB was a FA I'd consider it, but I don't really see him as a need worth giving up any meaningful capital for.
I don't think too many see Welsh as a KPF, if he could turn into a player similar to Jake Stringer I think would be an excellent outcome.

I can see us taking Jack Michalanney with our rookie pick
Why exactly?
In such a deep draft with plenty of decent options likely still available in the rookie draft. Much sooner look at a young developing ruck personally if we're to be using up a rookie list spot.
You do realise a rookie spot is still a list spot.

ANB is not jumping out at me as a 'must pursue' target. Isn't Ben Keays already playing that position at a near AA level for us?

I don't think too many see Welsh as a KPF, if he could turn into a player similar to Jake Stringer I think would be an excellent outcome.
Yeah, but I guess what I'm getting at is that he's a long term option up there, ANB isn't. And I think our younger players have mostly developed to the point where we no don't need to be bringing in older players to provide "leadership". I'm more interested in building a core of guys around the same age or younger than what we've already got, which is why I'd be interested in bring in Lukosious (as long as a 1st round pick isn't involved) a lot more that ANB who will likely be done by the time we're contending (assuming we do actually contend at some point, which is becoming questionable).

It's pretty wild that this has been announced in this fashion. Did Nicks have a stopover in Melb on his way to see Luko...?

Melb have indicated they'll 'work with the SA based clubs', but honestly, depending on the situation for his returning home that in itself could be a reason to avoid, as harsh as that sounds...

Melb can literally kiss goodbye to any value, because trade or not it sounds like he's out the door...
Word is we met with ANB before the Geelong game

Worth remembering during all the Oliver stuff this year journos were saying we weren't an option salary cap wise... At the time everyone laughed at them for being dumb and wrong but it's beginning to seem like they knew a few things we didn't?

ANB is a very good team player - tough and hard and good skills. Much more the experienced player I’d like to see in our mix. Would not say no.

We need to focus on improving our team with these cheap additions - not just providing backup.

I’d think 3 years from Alex would help our team a lot! He would be a great example from a successful team for players like Rachele / Soligo / Berry / Curtin… imo. ANB has watched top line players up close perform when it matters.

There needs to be an admission that we are on the improve, we are not contesting next year for the premiership - but it could be a very important step towards one.

In two years we need to be a team that others fear - 2026 should be when we start getting on the actual radar for success. Maybe 2027 until we have a realistic shot at winning it.

We must be drafting and trading with this timeline front of mind. Actually that is the complaint I’ve had about our club right now in terms of selection … focusing too much on this week, not enough on the end goal.

I guess we’ll see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back