Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

ANB is a very good team player - tough and hard and good skills. Much more the experienced player I’d like to see in our mix. Would not say no.

We need to focus on improving our team with these cheap additions - not just providing backup.

I’d think 3 years from Alex would help our team a lot! He would be a great example from a successful team for players like Rachele / Soligo / Berry / Curtin… imo. ANB has watched top line players up close perform when it matters.

There needs to be an admission that we are on the improve, we are not contesting next year for the premiership - but it could be a very important step towards one.

In two years we need to be a team that others fear - 2026 should be when we start getting on the actual radar for success. Maybe 2027 until we have a realistic shot at winning it.

We must be drafting and trading with this timeline front of mind. Actually that is the complaint I’ve had about our club right now in terms of selection … focusing too much on this week, not enough on the end goal.

I guess we’ll see.
We're the second youngest side in the AFL.

We're CLEARLY focused on the future.

And that's why you bring in ANB. He's the right kind of inexpensive professional who can be an onfield leader as the young players develop - and when they're starting to peak, he ages out of the side and has done his piece.

As long as it's pick 42, I'm probably happy for either him or Caleb Daniel to join us.

We're the second youngest side in the AFL.

We're CLEARLY focused on the future.

And that's why you bring in ANB. He's the right kind of inexpensive professional who can be an onfield leader as the young players develop - and when they're starting to peak, he ages out of the side and has done his piece.

As long as it's pick 42, I'm probably happy for either him or Caleb Daniel to join us.
Reckon ANB is a fair way ahead of Daniel now, in terms of both quality and need

This might sound like I’m saying it in bad taste, but if it’s a deeply personal situation for ANB, Melb might be more accepting of letting him go for a lesser price (ie 42). I’d be happy to find a pick in the 30’s and trade that for him, though (maybe use an F3 to move 42 up?)

Reckon ANB is a fair way ahead of Daniel now, in terms of both quality and need

This might sound like I’m saying it in bad taste, but if it’s a deeply personal situation for ANB, Melb might be more accepting of letting him go for a lesser price (ie 42). I’d be happy to find a pick in the 30’s and trade that for him, though (maybe use an F3 to move 42 up?)
Yeah, I agree with you. I think Melbourne will be understanding, and the difference between 42 and his actual value (35 or so?) might be close enough that they just call it a wash.

They said we should expect a big off season and we are getting it.
Hope crows don’t disappoint us like they normally do and play hard.
Luko, ANB, Pou?, Cumming and Daniels (not so much) would be amazing. If somehow we can keep pick 4 with that I’ll be amazed.
I doubt we keep pick 4 however if we make a play for Pou

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They said we should expect a big off season and we are getting it.
Hope crows don’t disappoint us like they normally do and play hard.
Luko, ANB, Pou?, Cumming and Daniels (not so much) would be amazing. If somehow we can keep pick 4 with that I’ll be amazed.
I doubt we keep pick 4 however if we make a play for Pou
Might almost be enough for me to renew my membership

If you're recruiting 29 year olds that means you have to win a flag within 3 years otherwise it's pointless
Don't agree. Need to develop a winning culture that the youngsters can carry through.

Doubt Melbourne win in 2021 without their senior recruits over the previous 7 years.

Geelong in 2022 didn't have players they'd recruited at an older age over the previous decade either.

Imagine how awkward the conversation is going to be when Reid tells Nicks he has recruited a bloke to replace Murphy...
I actually think this is perfect.

Coaching staff want a reliable, professional and mature bodies leader in that role. Murphy is really just a poor man's ANB, this is finally a genuine replacement the coaches will get behind.

Don't agree. Need to develop a winning culture that the youngsters can carry through.

Doubt Melbourne win in 2021 without their senior recruits over the previous 7 years.

Geelong in 2022 didn't have players they'd recruited at an older age over the previous decade either.
Committing to old players that won't be part of a flag team is how you end up going through a rebuild and yet still remaining inexperienced

When the guys that won't be there end up retiring, you have to replace them with a new player anyway - just this time they're 70-100 games less experienced than they otherwise would have been.

Or you have to bring in another recruit, who takes time to get up to speed, depends on the market at the time, etc.

Neal-Bullen is a fine enough player, but he's the sort you bring in to sure up a role for a flag tilt. He's not going to do much for a rebuild. So getting him means we have to go all the way.

Committing to old players that won't be part of a flag team is how you end up going through a rebuild and yet still remaining inexperienced

When the guys that won't be there end up retiring, you have to replace them with a new player anyway - just this time they're 70-100 games less experienced than they otherwise would have been.

Or you have to bring in another recruit, who takes time to get up to speed, depends on the market at the time, etc.

Neal-Bullen is a fine enough player, but he's the sort you bring in to sure up a role for a flag tilt. He's not going to do much for a rebuild. So getting him means we have to go all the way.
Decent coaching group and a few nice recruits we could challenge within 3 years

Our side is fine, we need to weed out a couple of senior players with loser mentality and we can definitely challenge

Maybe I’ve misunderstood you but Isaac Smith won the norm smith in 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back