Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like he’s no good at speaking either as well as football.
I heard some grabs from Nicks presser(I can't watch a full presser, full of corporate speak) & he used the term "key moments" a number of times. Then I heard the start of the Murphy interview & after he had also used the same term 3 or 4 times I turned him off! They are obviously coached in interview technique by the same media flunky. It's actually disrespectful to their supporters, but more worryingly, it's delusional the way they review their own performances.

Future first would be Max.
If there's no mids available to come to us perhaps we just have to accept another mediocre year.
Still think further development from our current guys is to come which will improve us (plus hopefully moves around the edges like ANB for Murphy), but yeah hard to get overly excited

Still think further development from our current guys is to come which will improve us (plus hopefully moves around the edges like ANB for Murphy), but yeah hard to get overly excited
I feel positive about what can happen this year, but some of that might fade if we don't have a very positive off season.

I do think young sides tend to improve year on year, and quite a few of our players shouldn't have plateaued yet.

I heard some grabs from Nicks presser(I can't watch a full presser, full of corporate speak) & he used the term "key moments" a number of times. Then I heard the start of the Murphy interview & after he had also used the same term 3 or 4 times I turned him off! They are obviously coached in interview technique by the same media flunky. It's actually disrespectful to their supporters, but more worryingly, it's delusional the way they review their own performances.
I can only imagine the term 'gone missing' is used in the same sentence with 'key moments' with those two guys

Gary Lyon last night On The Couch said, there is basically no way Petracca will be released from his contract and maybe in 3 years time they would reconsider it.
Marriage has somewhat of a contract nature Gary.

If Petracca wants out, a hypocritical Gary Lyon is not worthy of being listened to.

No respect for the guy. Member of the ol' boys club. Maguire, Newman, Hutcheson et al

Melbourne will trade him once they realise they have a contractual prisoner playing for them.

Never ends well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my
AFL CoachGPT
From my ChatGPT Session:

Write me a matthew Nicks press conference following a crows loss

ChatGPT said:​

Matthew Nicks Press Conference Transcript

Matthew Nicks: Good evening, everyone. Thanks for coming. I’ll keep this brief.
First and foremost, congratulations to [opposing team] on their win tonight. They played a strong game and deserved the result.
As for us, we didn’t meet the standards we’ve set for ourselves. Our effort was there, but execution let us down in crucial moments. We were too inconsistent, especially when it came to our decision-making and tackling.
Defensively, we had lapses that cost us. We need to address our structure and discipline to make sure we’re not giving away easy scores. Our midfield battle was up and down—when we won the ball, we didn’t always make the most of it, and when we lost it, our response wasn’t quick enough.
I’m not going to single out players. This is a collective effort, and we win and lose as a team. We’ll review the game thoroughly and make sure we address the areas where we fell short. We’ve got a solid group that’s capable of bouncing back, and that’s what we need to focus on.
The feedback we’ll get from this game will be critical. It’s important that we use it constructively to improve our performance. We’ve got a great opportunity ahead of us to correct our course and get back to playing the brand of footy we know we can.
Any questions?
Reporter 1: Matt, what did you make of the performance from your young players tonight?
Matthew Nicks: They showed some promising signs, but consistency is key. It’s a big step up for them, and they’re learning every week. We’re working with them to build their resilience and ability to perform under pressure. We’ve seen their potential, and we’ll continue to support their development.
Reporter 2: There seemed to be a lack of intensity in the second half. What are your thoughts on that?
Matthew Nicks: It’s something we need to address. It’s crucial that we maintain our intensity and focus for the full duration of the game. We need to be more resilient and disciplined, especially when the game is on the line. It’s an area we’ll be focusing on in training.
Reporter 3: How is the injury situation looking?
Matthew Nicks: We had a few minor knocks tonight, but nothing too serious. We’ll assess everyone over the next few days and have a clearer picture later in the week. It’s always challenging, but we’ve got depth in our squad, and we’ll manage it accordingly.
Reporter 4: What’s the immediate focus for the team leading into next week?
Matthew Nicks: Our immediate focus is on reviewing this game and addressing the issues we had. We’ll work on our game plan and ensure that we’re better prepared for our next opponent. The goal is to make improvements and put in a better performance next week.
Matthew Nicks: Alright, if there are no more questions, I’ll leave it there. Thanks for your time, and we’ll see you at the next game.

And while I'm on roll, because I'm funny as all hell:

Write me a Ken Hinkley press conference following a loss

Ken Hinkley Press Conference Transcript

Ken Hinkley: Good evening, everyone. Thanks for coming.
First up, congratulations to [opposing team] on their victory. They executed their game plan better than we did tonight.
We’re obviously disappointed with the loss. We had opportunities to turn the game in our favor, but we didn’t capitalize on them. Our execution in key moments was lacking, and that’s something we need to address.
Our defensive structures broke down at crucial times, and our ability to win contested ball and clearances was inconsistent. We had patches of good play, but we didn’t sustain it for long enough to make a difference.
We’ll go back to the drawing board and look at the game closely. There are areas where we need to improve, and it’s our responsibility to make those adjustments. The effort from the players was there, but effort alone isn’t enough—we need to combine it with smarter play and better execution.
We’re a team that’s capable of bouncing back, and that’s our focus moving forward. We need to regroup, refocus, and ensure we come out with a better performance next week.
Any questions?
Reporter 1: Ken, it seemed like there were some issues with team structure tonight. What are your thoughts on that?
Ken Hinkley: Yes, we had some issues with our structure, particularly when the game was on the line. We allowed the opposition to exploit gaps and make the most of their opportunities. We need to be more disciplined and ensure our structure holds up under pressure. It’s something we’ll address in training this week.
Reporter 2: How did you assess the performance of your key players? Did they step up when needed?
Ken Hinkley: We had some good individual efforts, but as a team, we didn’t deliver as a unit when it mattered. Key players need to lead by example, and while some showed moments of quality, we need more consistency from everyone. It’s not just about individual performance; it’s about how we all work together.
Reporter 3: What did you make of the decision-making in the final quarter? It seemed like there were some rushed choices.
Ken Hinkley: There were definitely some rushed decisions, especially in high-pressure moments. We need to remain composed and make smarter choices when the game is tight. It’s something we’ll be working on. Our decision-making needs to be sharper to ensure we capitalize on our opportunities.
Reporter 4: Any updates on injuries or player availability for next week?
Ken Hinkley: We had a few players who were carrying knocks, but nothing too serious at this stage. We’ll assess everyone over the next few days and see how they’re tracking. It’s always a matter of managing the group and making sure we have the best possible lineup for the next game.
Reporter 5: What’s the immediate focus for the team as you prepare for next week?
Ken Hinkley: The immediate focus is on reviewing this game thoroughly. We need to identify where we went wrong and make sure we address those issues. Our preparation will be centered around improving our game plan and ensuring we’re more disciplined and cohesive in our approach.
Ken Hinkley: Alright, if there are no more questions, I’ll wrap it up. Thanks for your time, and we’ll work hard to come back stronger next week.

Or, shock horror, they spoke about those 'key moments' in their game evaluation on Monday and the theme stuck, because coaches are meant to make that stuff sink in?

It's wild some of the mental gymnastics going on here. Some would find a way for Nicks to be responsible for the extinction of Dinosaurs, though we arguably have some living fossils on this board keeping their spirit alive...

From my

From my ChatGPT Session:

Write me a matthew Nicks press conference following a crows loss

Matthew Nicks Press Conference Transcript

Matthew Nicks: Good evening, everyone. Thanks for coming. I’ll keep this brief.
First and foremost, congratulations to [opposing team] on their win tonight. They played a strong game and deserved the result.
As for us, we didn’t meet the standards we’ve set for ourselves. Our effort was there, but execution let us down in crucial moments. We were too inconsistent, especially when it came to our decision-making and tackling.
Defensively, we had lapses that cost us. We need to address our structure and discipline to make sure we’re not giving away easy scores. Our midfield battle was up and down—when we won the ball, we didn’t always make the most of it, and when we lost it, our response wasn’t quick enough.
I’m not going to single out players. This is a collective effort, and we win and lose as a team. We’ll review the game thoroughly and make sure we address the areas where we fell short. We’ve got a solid group that’s capable of bouncing back, and that’s what we need to focus on.
The feedback we’ll get from this game will be critical. It’s important that we use it constructively to improve our performance. We’ve got a great opportunity ahead of us to correct our course and get back to playing the brand of footy we know we can.
Any questions?
Reporter 1: Matt, what did you make of the performance from your young players tonight?
Matthew Nicks: They showed some promising signs, but consistency is key. It’s a big step up for them, and they’re learning every week. We’re working with them to build their resilience and ability to perform under pressure. We’ve seen their potential, and we’ll continue to support their development.
Reporter 2: There seemed to be a lack of intensity in the second half. What are your thoughts on that?
Matthew Nicks: It’s something we need to address. It’s crucial that we maintain our intensity and focus for the full duration of the game. We need to be more resilient and disciplined, especially when the game is on the line. It’s an area we’ll be focusing on in training.
Reporter 3: How is the injury situation looking?
Matthew Nicks: We had a few minor knocks tonight, but nothing too serious. We’ll assess everyone over the next few days and have a clearer picture later in the week. It’s always challenging, but we’ve got depth in our squad, and we’ll manage it accordingly.
Reporter 4: What’s the immediate focus for the team leading into next week?
Matthew Nicks: Our immediate focus is on reviewing this game and addressing the issues we had. We’ll work on our game plan and ensure that we’re better prepared for our next opponent. The goal is to make improvements and put in a better performance next week.
Matthew Nicks: Alright, if there are no more questions, I’ll leave it there. Thanks for your time, and we’ll see you at the next game.
No way thats ChatGPT - thats a transcript of a real presser

How every AFL club is placed to land Petracca...​

ADELAIDE

The Crows were the club most heavily linked to Petracca’s teammate, Clayton Oliver, last off-season in a bid to beef up their midfield. So could they make a big play for Petracca too? You suspect Petracca would be keen to remain in Victoria, making Adelaide an unlikely landing spot, though the Crows do have some appealing pieces they could offer up. That includes the fourth overall selection in this year’s draft and key forwards Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty — the type of players Melbourne have long been crying out for. The clubs are potentially already set to do business, with Adelaide the frontrunner to land Alex Neal-Bullen as he seeks a move back to South Australia for family reasons.

Current draft picks: 4, 27, 2025 first rounder, 2025 second rounder

How every AFL club is placed to land Petracca...​

ADELAIDE

The Crows were the club most heavily linked to Petracca’s teammate, Clayton Oliver, last off-season in a bid to beef up their midfield. So could they make a big play for Petracca too? You suspect Petracca would be keen to remain in Victoria, making Adelaide an unlikely landing spot, though the Crows do have some appealing pieces they could offer up. That includes the fourth overall selection in this year’s draft and key forwards Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty — the type of players Melbourne have long been crying out for. The clubs are potentially already set to do business, with Adelaide the frontrunner to land Alex Neal-Bullen as he seeks a move back to South Australia for family reasons.

Current draft picks: 4, 27, 2025 first rounder, 2025 second rounder

What a ridiculous article.

Pick 4, Riley Thilthorpe & Darcy Fogarty are all absolutely untouchable at this point. What a stupid article.

Pick 4, Riley Thilthorpe & Darcy Fogarty are all absolutely untouchable at this point. What a stupid article.
Fog and RT yes

Pick 4 probably isn’t, but a 28yo Petracca coming off a serious injury isn’t the most valuable asset in the land, so the ‘three firsts’ rhetoric that Tom Morris is saying is pretty ludicrous

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back