Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He swapped Borlase and TT. I've got no problems with him trying SOMETHING (ala Blight and Ellen) better than doing nothing. It's the other stuff he buggers up that I don't like (like not tagging the best opposition player, or at least have a plan in place to minimise their damage!)
You can’t use the Blight example with Ellen as that was a coach who was incredible at thinking outside the box - we had three tall forwards in Fog,Tex and TT why would you swap an incredibly inexperienced back man to go forward in the last game? This was one example from seasons of unsuccessful “experiments “ from Nicks that also seem to ignore other issues happening during the game.

Most of the players involved in that left as Nicks joined. There were more fractures in admin than the playing group. Nicks' role in culture change is drastically overstated imo... although the display of "culture" in the last week or so suggests that any cultural change instigated by the coach has been largely negative.
I've said before I think a whole bunch of kids staying this time around is down to our list demographic doing a 180 from its usual perspective of being senior heacy, so the kids feel more comfortable staying because there's a huge group of them together. Compared to previous years where there was a very small group and you had less immediate options socially inside the club.

That and we seem to have decided to start paying guys earlier too.

I think we forget how incredibly fractured things were in 2019.
Maybe, but I'm still not convinced Nicks has done anything more to repair those fractures than what would have occurred if we went Coach free for the next 4-5 years.

2019 was at crtical mass but no explosion remains an explosion forever and we seem to have been stuck at the same, or a similar fallout level ever since.
I mean, besides losing/cutting a few disgruntled older players,which would have occurred in spite of M.Nicks, what has actually changed for the better since Pyke? One could quite easily argue that Nicks has taken us backwards and that the after effects of his tenure will have a bigger,more lasting negative impact than anyone that came before him.

We're at the point of needing to rebuild after a failed 5 year rebuild. That's worse than 2019.

Last edited:

I got yelled down a few years ago, being one of the first to suggest trading Doedee and then mentioning Keane. People are to invested in some players and don’t see the overall scheme of things.
Keane needs to get up a top 25 pick even if it means trading a third rounder. We have a lot of talls and he can be replaced. It’s about improving our list every year and we have no pacey players at all besides Rankine. We need midfielders and small forwards, we need to look to get value out of Berry, Himmelberg, Jones and McHenry or anyone else that is average and not likely to improve. Or our rebuild will be like Carlton’s and last 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We desperately need more speed. It will be interesting if the club agrees in terms of the mid fielder we pick up with pick 4

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Every Crows fans' favorite reporter, Sam McClure, is saying Petracca has told Melbourne he doesn't want to play for them any more. This is from five sources, he's claiming, at the club and close to Petracca. However the same article says he is unlikely to "formally" request a trade.

Only considering other Victorian clubs of course. McClure believes Harry McKay is a trade option the other way in a deal with Carlton

Every Crows fans' favorite reporter, Sam McClure, is saying Petracca has told Melbourne he doesn't want to play for them any more. This is from five sources, he's claiming, at the club and close to Petracca. However the same article says he is unlikely to "formally" request a trade.

Only considering other Victorian clubs of course. McClure believes Harry McKay is a trade option the other way in a deal with Carlton

Nobody has the draft capital Melbourne would want considering you can't trade 2 years in advance yet. They'd want minimum 3 1sts. He's contracted for another 5 years ffs.

If Carlton (or anyone else) want him, it's going to cost a shit load.

IF (big if) Melbourne trade him, players will be leaving in droves. They lose Petracca, it's rebuild time.

Nobody has the draft capital Melbourne would want considering you can't trade 2 years in advance yet. They'd want minimum 3 1sts. He's contracted for another 5 years ffs.

IF (big if) Melbourne trade him, players will be leaving in droves. They lose Petracca, it's rebuild time.
The spoilt brat deserves to be stood down for a year if he wants to go.

its the right draft and time to do it in with the strength of this draft and the new tassie side coming in. 2 steps back to take 3 forward may be the go

Yes, It's wasting time replacing assistants when it's clearly evident the senior coach is incompetent.

It's not fair on the new assistants either.

Good organisations fix the key problems, not skirt around them pretending nothing to see here.
A promising but not Cox-Hansen level assistant might see it as a chance to get in line for the job - caretakers do get kept on sometimes.

A lot of tall defenders?

Besides Murray, Butts, Worrell and Keane not much else?

Borlase at the very best is SANFLAFL depth depth and Worrell is more a 3rd tall interceptor than a genuine KPD.
It’s enough.

Lots of the most successful defenders in recent AFL are not huge.

Also, it’s normal to have not-quite-good-enough players as depth. That’s why they’re depth. You don’t play them unless you have to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Us and Richmond the only teams with no-one in the AA squad
Rankine unlucky, would have made it, but there is a criteria about the number of games you need to have played.

Most of the players involved in that left as Nicks joined. There were more fractures in admin than the playing group. Nicks' role in culture change is drastically overstated imo... although the display of "culture" in the last week or so suggests that any cultural change instigated by the coach has been largely negative.
I know it's hunting season on Nicks, but I remember what it was like when we were getting attacked every week, when reporters were just openly talking about how players were feeding them information about how dissatisfied everyone was. When there was a club statement every week or two.

People seemed incredibly unhappy. I think Nicks changed that.

I would have supported getting rid of him, but I don't blame him for everything that was disappointing about this year.

Did you just ask why it doesn't ever skew unexpectedly up, and then name a time when it did?

Hawthorn this year feels like another example.
For us I mean

Once twelve years ago

And flatlining for seven years. Our graph is as linear as linear gets

Yeah, another reminder how much our coach is a complete spud!
Youre one of the biggest veterans not only on this board but Bigfooty, have you ever seen it as bad as this for the AFC on here?

I cant think of a worse period for the AFC posters.

I should hold my beer, because I know it could get very much worse in about 5 weeks time.:$

Youre one of the biggest veterans not only on this board but Bigfooty, have you ever seen it as bad as this for the AFC on here?

I cant think of a worse period for the AFC posters.

I should hold my beer, because I know it could get very much worse in about 5 weeks time.:$
Reckon we are going through an even worse period than the camp & tippett-gate... because there is no hope under Nicks.

Christian Petracca for Harry McKay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back