Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 162 81.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rethinking my mega buy up from a couple of pages back.
Some sage arguments posted here about old dudes getting in the way of developing players, but then what if there's a sudden rise? If all things go well and we stumble into the eight next year, players like ANB would be ideal.
It's all about reading the tea leaves and deciding what our trajectory is most likely to be. Fast? - bring in Cumming, ANB and Daniel, Slower? - don't bring them in and develop our own from what is a pretty exciting list + pick 4.
Tricky choice, best left to brainier chaps than me.
It's also about the young player who they would be getting in the way of playing in the firsts. For ANB, its probably murphy

Happy to avoid Luko for a high pick. Port can pay his salary and cough up a first and a second, will end up forcing bergman or butters out
No more than #28 for Lukosius .....and GC paying part of his salary, if it's been backloaded

I'm OK for the extra list depth, in taking Luko ......not if it impacts Curtins role

Clearly he needs to be a FWD / MID ......developing to become a MID / FWD

I would do a pick in the 20s for ANB and a future first for Luko. ANB is close to the best player in the comp at Murphys role (extra mid at stoppages), Luko can play the connector role and spends time on the wing. That’s 2 needs filled. Obviously keep pick 4 and get an explosive mid.

I would do a pick in the 20s for ANB and a future first for Luko. ANB is close to the best player in the comp at Murphys role (extra mid at stoppages), Luko can play the connector role and spends time on the wing. That’s 2 needs filled. Obviously keep pick 4 and get an explosive mid.
Best player in the comp?

And what exactly is Murphy's role?

Nah, ANB does not maintain shape as well as Murphy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best player in the comp?

And what exactly is Murphy's role?

Best player in the comp at the +1 role at stoppages, it’s a niche role because most teams prefer a +1 in defence.

Murphy is a high forward that comes into stoppages as an extra mid. Not to be confused with guys like Keays and Rachele that play forward of the stoppage. Murphy just sucks at his role, ANB is way better he plays that role to a tee for Melbourne and doesn’t just hack kick the ball. Nicks loves a +1 at stoppages so ANB is as good a player as we can get in that role.

I dunno, that whole Houston situation screams Port trying to see what interest they can shake out of the competition than Houston actually wanting to go anywhere..
Given what is going down at the Dees, would Houston really want to go there?

If he wants to head back to Melbourne, surely pick a team on the way up, rather than in self-destruct mode.

Given what is going down at the Dees, would Houston really want to go there?

If he wants to head back to Melbourne, surely pick a team on the way up, rather than in self-destruct mode.

Thought the exact same today.... There is a real stench emerging from Melbourne FC.

Collingwood or Hawks seem the most logical team to take him IMO

Last edited:
Has he played his last game for the Dees?

As odd as it sounds, Goodwin coming out today and saying "Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca will be at the footy club next year," almost feels like a CEO/President saying the "coach has the full support of the board"... Almost meaningless.

I'm waiting on some VERY reliable mail for Oliver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back