Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 8, last 2nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 113 89.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think people appreciate what we have in Keane as either a developing player or indeed his value if he does want to go. Call it dumb luck getting him but he has only played 24 games of AFL is 24 y/o 194 cm and pushing 100 kgs .
He is still learning the game and has intercepted as well as Jake Lever this year.
I hope we keep him but I don’t see why not a late first rounder.

View attachment 2037749
Agree it’s stupidity to let him go for anything less than a too 20 ish type pick. Pies can either wait and trade for him next year - noting they needs KPD now as their list rapidly ages - or they can pony up a future first.

We need to play hard ball here and I will be mightily pissed if we let him go for a mid-late second rounder

Gold Coast could have been fairly compensated without pick 5, ultimately Rankine wants to win a flag at the Crows, losing pick 5 doesn’t help that cause.
Will agree to disagree but as mentioned you don’t #### around when grabbing a player like Rankine.

Are you seriously not overjoyed by the trade of 5 for Rankine now 18 months on?

You needed to remember that was the same year that GC were auctioning off Bowes and pick 7 as a salary dump.

I said at the time, I could have seen Port in our position working a 3 way deal there where Bowes and our F1 went to Geelong, pick 5 went to GC and Rankine and pick 7 came to us.

Do you really think Geelong would not have taken that deal to get Bowes in - our likely ladder position the following year was still predicted to miss the top 8 and by a distance (at that time) so it would be a clear top 10 pick they got and Bowes.

So did we push hard enough to get the best deal in the Rankine trade - Gold Coast were already parting with pick 7 and we could still have given them pick 5. I just think Port would have tried that.
I said something similar - swap of first rounders with a 2nd or future 2nd

Izak said he wanted GC to be fairly compensated and to try and engineer a less valuable first round pick with the chance of everything blowing up and losing him would be all time stupidity.
the amanda show nicksplat GIF

I’m not sure any player has ever said that. And if they did I doubt they actually give a shit.

You needed to remember that was the same year that GC were auctioning off Bowes and pick 7 as a salary dump.

I said at the time, I could have seen Port in our position working a 3 way deal there where Bowes and our F1 went to Geelong, pick 5 went to GC and Rankine and pick 7 came to us.

Do you really think Geelong would not have taken that deal to get Bowes in - our likely ladder position the following year was still predicted to miss the top 8 and by a distance (at that time) so it would be a clear top 10 pick they got and Bowes.

So did we push hard enough to get the best deal in the Rankine trade - Gold Coast were already parting with pick 7 and we could still have given them pick 5. I just think Port would have tried that.
I agree (and rate) Davies has pulled off some good coups - esp the amazing JHF and Rioli bargain he engineered. They have also royally ##### some things up like the 3 part movement to get Sinn which seems a ridiculous overpay at this stage. But overall they are definitely more aggressive agreed.

No doubt there was a chance we could have got Rankine for a lower price. From my perspective, looking back at the big picture, I was just overjoyed that an absolutely elite talent (was talked about even going number one in the 2018 super draft by some leading up to the draft) wanted to return home and I am glad overall we didn’t try and over complicate the trade where no doubt GC (and the AFL) would have been very pissed with us not giving up our allocated pick 5 and there is a chance - hard to quantify how high - that may have impacted Izaks willingness to return home. He publicly stated he wanted GC to be fairly compensated.

Anyway repeating myself now and I do understand yours and George’s perspective. But I am just so thankful we pulled off Rankine for 5 that I am seeing he trade as a huge positive (happy clapper style) not a negative.

Not true, what we gave up for Dawson was a bargain.

Rankine it was about not needing to give up pick 5 to get him
At the time it wasn't a bargain. There were still quite a few people that didn't wanna spend that much.

Regarding Rankine, what we needed to give is a whole other debate and something I don't think is that simple.

lol on one hand you’re calling Hamish last 5 years as excellent and then say assessing last 4-5 years is difficult. Then you talk about trading out our first rounders so Hamish doesn’t butcher them.
I would have thought that's a pretty good summary except you put the 'lol' in, so I know it's a mocking post.

If I wanted a summary I'd just put my post in Chat GPT and ask if for a summary.

But since you think I'm contradicting myself, I'll clarify.

1. Criticism on the Nicks era drafting should be in the context of the drafts, and comparing to Essendon and Hawthorn show that our draft haul has been better than those. Personally I'm really happy with our draft hand as 1990 Crow outlined. Could it be better, probably, should we reasonably expect it to be, probably not.
  2. Our trading of first rounders has been excellent, and there is high value in doing this.
I then say the pessimistic posters should be leaning to the second option as you don't agree with the first point.

I've posted on this thread, just yesterday what I think we could do, but until we know what draft hand we have it's just speculation. I want both us to trade in a Phillipou and take a Draper in the draft. I even outlined how this would happen.

Lol.

Have we?
Thilthorpe - still unproven
Pedlar - going backwards
Rachele - a forward at pick 6?
Michalanney - tick
Curtin - another KPD? Not getting played.
Could also easily say:
Thilthorpe - 4th year KPF that has already shown elite qualities at AFL level (e.g. winning games off his own boot, 11th in contested marks in 2023), tracking along as well as any elite KPF does this early on except for Buddy
Pedlar - one very good season out of 4, definitely the most disappointing of these 5 you've listed, but has time to redeem himself
Rachele - 3rd year forward/mid that is already performing at an above average level, since when has this type of player not been needed in a premiership winning side and since when do these types not go in the top 10 of a draft?
MM - already a gun and only 2nd season
Curtin - first season and impossible to make any major judgements this early, but was considered a top 3 talent in the draft last year, so of course this was a good pick at 8

How wonderful is this...not like us to get f****d up the you know what by the AFL and its systems

More charity for another useless Vic club that should have been wound up 20 years ago.

Has Rory Lobb ever played as a full time ruckman? I never realised he was 206cm until today's article on AFL.com

TBH I honestly don't think I've seen him play as either a Docker or Bulldog. And being a potential 4 club player is a massive red flag.

But on the other hand, 206cm agile players don't grow on trees, and you'd imagine the Dogs would probably pay half of the ham sandwich it would take to get him
Pretty sure he went to freo on the promise he wouldn’t be played as a ruck. (Doesn’t like it)
He is a big unit though (stood next to him at a footy clinic last year)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How wonderful is this...not like us to get f****d up the you know what by the AFL and its systems

FFS this would be truly shocking.

I thought band 1 was top 5% of salaries in the AFL as the core component of FA compo (plus other added herbs and spices). I have never seen Battle as even a top 15-20 defender or top 100 player in the game. Almost impossible to believe he will be a top 5% paid player (eg at Hawks surely at least Day and Sicily would be on higher salaries)

This would be worse than Dees getting a compo pick 3 for losing FA Frawley to Horks years ago

Hawthorn

A SPECIAL AFL committee ticked off Melbourne’s acquisition of the prized No. 3 draft pick as compensation for departed free agent James Frawley, who signed at premier Hawthorn on Monday.
The Herald Sun can reveal a three-man working group had the power to dampen the most contentious compensation selection awarded, but instead gave the green light in a jackpot result for the Demons.
The league has had the committee in place since free agency’s inception with a view to correct any “material anomalies” the AFL’s secret formula spits out.

Jees, if Brad Crouch wasn't worth it 12 months after winning a B&F as a midfielder, i'm not sure how you could tweak the herbs and spices for career swingman who'se only cracked his bad teams B&F once in his entire career (10th in 2023).

Career Brownlow votes 0 vs Crouch's 28 at the time of hitting free agency. And only 2 games in the coaches votes for 2024 means he not likely to break that hoodoo anytime soon

This effects all clubs that finish below them though. Won't only be the Crowsy.
Its likely to hurt us the most as we are looking like next cab off the rank at the very pointy end and what if it happens there are 5 top rated mids in the pool outside of the F/S and academy aligned players at the top end...and those mids all get picked. Id rather not have Russian roulette forced on us by them getting that pick thankyou very much

Its likely to hurt us the most as we are looking like next cab off the rank at the very pointy end and what if it happens there are 5 top rated mids in the pool outside of the F/S and academy aligned players at the top end...and those mids all get picked. Id rather not have Russian roulette forced on us by them getting that pick thankyou very much
It’s the Rowell/anderson/jackson draft all over again

Back