Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 8, last 2nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 113 90.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My gut feel is we may try and trade with a team like Freo who have multiple 1sts and split our pick for 2. So 4 for 13 + 15, 1 goes to Melbourne for Petty and the either for Welsh or for another player to bring in via trade (and we trade a few fringe guys for later picks to bundle together for Welsh).
That's got to be the worst play you could think of .... Just pick 4 for high end talent and use chump change picks for welsh.

Well, that's obviously Will Day then. What didn't he like about our sales pitch? The role, $$$ or years?
Think it was mostly the money.

I don't know what we offered. I'd assume the offer to Redman (as what was reported in the media) was around the mark.

Doesn't fill the need that Burgess was supposed to fill - the ability to provide cover as either KPD or KPF, given that Murray & Thilthorpe both had long term injuries.
Pretty sure we are in need of a half decent midfielder... Even though Holland's isn't really playing midfield... He's supposed to end up there

Think it was mostly the money.

I don't know what we offered. I'd assume the offer to Redman (as what was reported in the media) was around the mark.
From what you've heard, was he genuinely ever leaving the Hawks if they offered decent dollars (say 500-600k)? Sounds like they are grooming him to be the next captain, which I'm sure was in their sales pitch too.

I would have offered him near the $1M mark for 5 seasons, a bit frustrating if we missed out because we thought that was too much.

From what you've heard, was he genuinely ever leaving the Hawks if they offered decent dollars (say 500-600k)? Sounds like they are grooming him to be the next captain, which I'm sure was in their sales pitch too.

I would have offered him near the $1M mark for 5 seasons, a bit frustrating if we missed out because we thought that was too much.
He was "open to coming home" from what I heard, so not a JHF scenario.

Next year will be interesting with NWM coming out of contract.

Well, that's obviously Will Day then. What didn't he like about our sales pitch? The role, $$$ or years?
Probably didn't like the idea of playing in defense in the SANFL for 12 weeks, followed by a game agains the Bulldogs in Ballarat at HFF, only to be subbed off at half time and then dropped back the 2's.

He was "open to coming home" from what I heard, so not a JHF scenario.

Next year will be interesting with NWM coming out of contract.
And just like Will Day Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera he has family ties to the Club he was drafted to so wouldn't be getting my hopes up there either though he does know we showed interest in his draft year and also put it on the public record.

That's got to be the worst play you could think of .... Just pick 4 for high end talent and use chump change picks for welsh.
Yep. Get the best midfielder we can with that early pick, use our later pick(s) to match a bid on Welsh, do the best we can with the remaining picks (ruckman, maybe? Please?). Forget about Petty for now... maybe next year when he's a FA, but he's hardly a priority this year.

Except, of course, after a disaster of a season like this, the club will be desperate to bring somebody - anybody - in so they can point to that and bleat about how we're a destination club and everything is going great and get some of those warm-and-fuzzy feelings going like we had when we landed Dawson and Rankine. So expect us to pay through the nose for somebody that we don't really need but is willing to come here.

There isn't a massive gap, but this club keeps backing in honest triers rather than our actual talent for leadership positions. MM and Murray definitely have leadership qualities, so why can't it just be Dawson (C), Murray (VC) and MM (deputy VC) in the leadership group next year? Fog would be borderline.
I can understand them wanting at least 1 leader in each of the lines - forward, midfield, defence, plus the Captain. This would make Fog or Rankine a necessity in the group.

Oh come on mate. Even you couldn't have written this with a straight face.
Listening to David King today, he's talking up Nicks being the guy, we need to keep him, we just need to get back to being that fast and free team from last year. Was sitting there like "I'm not sure if he's twigged on the reason we're generally not playing that way is because of the guy he's talking up".

Have heard in the past about our approaches to players, which has been described as "arrogant" and basically a "you should be thrilled a big club like us wants you" type approach. We kinda make it feel like they should be flattered we're after them, rather than making it clear we really want them and we'll do what we gotta do to get them over.

Probably 1 reason why we've struggled to get guys over. Unless you were already a Crows fan our approach means sweet F all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There isn't a massive gap, but this club keeps backing in honest triers rather than our actual talent for leadership positions. MM and Murray definitely have leadership qualities, so why can't it just be Dawson (C), Murray (VC) and MM (deputy VC) in the leadership group next year? Fog would be borderline.
I would like to see us go with something like -Dawson Captain with Murray and Rankine as VC. Fog as DVC. Max could be a bit young but would be ok with him being in the leadership group also.

Collingwood and the Hawks seem to be into everyone. All we are down in the rumors for Yeo at a ridiculous price.:huh:

... and the Yeo rumour is being driven by Colin Young, trying to bump up Yeo's last West Coast contract. Nothing to do with the AFC.

No wonder we're ****ed if the sort of leadership we want to keep around is Brodie Smith
I swear he's never been in the leadership group until this year too. What leadership does he actually provide?

Adelaide wanting to poach GWS assist coach Montgomery New
Here's a rumour from everyone's favourite homeless man reporter. We're going after Brett Montgomery as an assistant.

Any leader we bring into the club has to demonstrate the ability to keep their cool and most importantly execute under immense pressure.

That is the standard to aspire to.

Everything else is secondary.

Next yeah it should be Dawson captain and Rankine vice captain, plain and simple and guys that demonstrate the level required when faced with extreme pressure.

No need for a stupid vote, that's the standard.

Last edited:
I swear he's never been in the leadership group until this year too. What leadership does he actually provide?
Brodie Smith has been in the leadership group since 2020.

Here are the leadership group media releases from each year:

You may not know what leadership he provides, but his teammates obviously rate his leadership, having voted him into the leadership for the last 5 years running.

Brodie Smith has been in the leadership group since 2020.

Here are the leadership group media releases from each year:

You may not know what leadership he provides, but his teammates obviously rate his leadership, having voted him into the leadership for the last 5 years running.
Fair enough. I thought he was a new addition for this year for some reason.

The question is why Rankine isn't in the leadership group ? Presumably he doesn't want to be, or someone thinks he's not leadership material. Do not mistake being a gun player for being a strong leader.
He’s only 24 this year in his second year at the club, wouldn’t surprise me if he’s in next year

If not next year, then probably never though

The question is why Rankine isn't in the leadership group ? Presumably he doesn't want to be, or someone thinks he's not leadership material. Do not mistake being a gun player for being a strong leader.
Cos it's a stupid vote.

Asking employees/players for their opinion is fine but getting them to make key decisions is stupid and offloading responsibility.

As Henry Ford said, if he had asked people what they wanted they would have said faster horses.

My understanding is that the coaches also suggest the "values" by which to vote. I'm pretty sure I know what these values are as Nicks exposes them all the time and his football strategy is built around this.

No one thought Walker could be a leader or Captain, it took someone with foresight and clarity to see this. I don't think Walker even saw himself as a leader.

Back