Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 8, last 2nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 113 90.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Gollant till Welsh matures.

Or even Cook.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gollant will be delisted in the first week of the offseason. As soon as Borlase was selected as a forward over Gollant, his papers were stamped. 100% gone.

Cook is an absolutely perfect example of someone who should be delivering the ball inside 50 to our forwards as much as possible (ie playing on a wing), rather than being the recipient of the garbage delivery that the majority of the rest of this squad offers. His field kicking and vision is the best of anyone on our list IMO. But realistically because of the horror show that is our list (im)balance, he’ll still need to spend roughly 50% of his game time inside forward 50, even with Tex in the side. Because we want most of our other forwards to be mids. Because we can’t develop or draft quality mids.

I would give Tex one more year, and tell him he’ll play 15 regular season games max (even if fit), with a focus on mentoring Welsh.

In 2025, a forward line featuring Thilthorpe, Fogarty and Walker as the tallish options for those 15 Tex games, surrounded by the likes of Rankine (part-time forward rotating to the midfield), Rachele (part-time forward rotating to a wing), Keays (tagging the opposition’s most damaging defensive half player), Pedlar (if he can get his shit together, could also pinch-hit in the centre square), Cook (part-time forward rotating to a wing), and maybe even a little bit of Charlie Edwards or Dowling would be the direction I’d be going.

In an ideal world we would acquire a ready to go, speedy, high pressure small forward in the offseason which would eliminate the need to ever play Murphy, while replacing McHenry’s position on the list with something competent and useful. Ben Ainsworth as FA or 2nd round draft pick I say.

Toby Murray is the main backup in case Thilthorpe goes down.

Welsh can play a few games when Tex is rested or injured. Welsh would also be a backup in case Fog went down.

Try a few games with neither Tex or Welsh in the side too (go smaller). Maybe even see if Curtin looks dangerous up for there a fortnight?

Then in 2026, it’s Welsh’s time to cement his spot in the side.

He just hasn't got that type of build IMO, it's usually those lanky types that have growth spurts...i.e. Tim English
I'm fairly sure he's grown since his 191 measurement.
If he can be 194 once he stops he's a KPF imo.
Curnow is 193 and uses his long reach to advantage, similar to Tyler.

Not that it really matters. Thilthorpe and Fogarty will be our 2 for the next 7 years or so anywhere given how far behind he is.

So wait, who’s replacing Tex in our forward line next year? Hate to break it to y’all, but year 1 Welsh won’t be able to last 23 games. We trusting Burgess/Gollant/Borlase in that role again?

If Tex does decide to retire (fair enough if he does), we need to find a 3rd tall via trade (McInnes from the Pies?)

Who replaced Thommo from our midfield when he was cooked? Players step up, it’s just how it goes. No single player is the sole replacement.

Edit - and it’s not prime Tex that we’re replacing, it’s cooked Tex (as it stands).

Who replaced Thommo from our midfield when he was cooked? Players step up, it’s just how it goes. No single player is the sole replacement.

Edit - and it’s not prime Tex that we’re replacing, it’s cooked Tex (as it stands).
Okay, so who’ll step up in your opinion?

Even cooked Tex is better than Burgess/Gollant/Borlase at present

One of the main problems with retiring Tex this year is the other things that have become abundantly clear up forward for us in recent times.

1) Gollant has no future as an AFL forward and will be delisted this offseason without playing another game.

2) Himmelberg is leaving and signing with GWS this offseason.

3) Burgess has no future as an AFL forward, and it’s unlikely that he ever plays another game.

4) Borlase has no future as an AFL forward. Now that Himmelberg is fit, it’s unlikely we ever see this tried again.

5) There’s no way we can play Strachan in any capacity, including as a fwd / ruck.

6) Cook is wasted as a deep forward, and projects more as a wingman who rotates forward, swapping with someone like Rachele.

If 1-2 of those things weren’t a thing, Walker could comfortably be moved along. They’re all a thing, so Tex will sign on for another year, until one of Toby Murray or Tyler Welsh are actually ready to play AFL football.

The only way that changes is if we sign an established forward in the trade period. Jack Lukosius is the only one that comes to mind, which would be a monumentally stupid thing to do considering the state of the midfield and the trade cost involved.

Okay, so who’ll step up in your opinion?

Even cooked Tex is better than Burgess/Gollant/Borlase at present

Without 40 odd % of entries being directed to Tex, I expect Fog and TT to win more of the ball. Plus whoever is the 3rd tall will get some opportunity instead of playing 2s or be told to lead away from the ball carrier.

Even if Tex makes us a bit better when cooked, is there actually any value in going a bit better? We need another bottom 4 finish next year or 2, so might was we’ll do that whilst developing our forward group of the future. Tex isn’t part of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless you know something that's not available publically until after the draft combine Welsh was 191cm when measured during the preseason? Tex has always been registered at 194cm. I seriously doubt Welsh unless he grows some will play KPF at AFL personally, more the 3rd tall or even a Jake Stringer type role.
He's saying that because Walker (and Fogarty) are now listed at 192. They've completely ****ed the heights of a bunch of players this year (most notably Smith).

So Tex and Fog have shrunk by 2cm in the last 12 months?
Apparently so. Even better, Brodie Smith magically grew from 189 to 194 over the off-season.

I don't really understand how (or why) this height ****ing has happened, but it has.

So wait, who’s replacing Tex in our forward line next year? Hate to break it to y’all, but year 1 Welsh won’t be able to last 23 games. We trusting Burgess/Gollant/Borlase in that role again?

If Tex does decide to retire (fair enough if he does), we need to find a 3rd tall via trade (McInnes from the Pies?)
I still think it's Luko with TT rucking. My gut feel is strong (Might be all the rums from last night)

Is Taylor Goad any good?
Pretty hard to tell for a ruck less than one year in the system, but there was a lot of promising signs in the U18s and he was one of the highest rated rucks for his draft year. He will take time though, can’t see him being a regular AFL player until year 3 or 4.

Pretty hard to tell for a ruck less than one year in the system, but there was a lot of promising signs in the U18s and he was one of the highest rated rucks for his draft year. He will take time though, can’t see him being a regular AFL player until year 3 or 4.
so he'd be kinda handy to fall back to us late next year before he pulls any real value then

Back