Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 8, last 2nd July)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • No

Votes: 116 89.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

True which makes the McAsey pick even dumber and hopefully we haven’t repeated it with Curtin.
The McAsey pick was wrong but understandable.

The classic way to do a rebuild is get the key talls first as they take longest. We started with Thilthorpe and McAsey to have a KPP at each end.

McAsey was wrong though because there's no point getting fixated on a tall if he's not going to make it. We thought McAsey would but we couldn't have been more wrong ...

The classic way to do a rebuild is get the key talls first as they take longest. We started with Thilthorpe and McAsey to have a KPP at each end.

McAsey was wrong though because there's no point getting fixated on a tall if he's not going to make it. We thought McAsey would but we couldn't have been more wrong ...

The wasted McAsey pick 6 hurts even more because of the players taken after him.

Serong, Young, Flanders, Pickett, Day, Georgiadis, S De Koning

The McAsey pick has set us back years though... We got our KPDs via rookie picks (Butts and Murray). The reality is you can get good/decent KPDs relatively cheap.

Generational key forwards I can understand teams taking them inside the top 10 in draft, but key backs feel a real waste to spend that type of capital on.

The wasted McAsey pick 6 hurts even more because of the players taken after him.

Serong, Young, Flanders, Pickett, Day, Georgiadis, S De Koning
Agreed. Muck worse than McHenry (say) - Gallucci and McAsey picks are the only disastrous ones, because literally anyone picked in the next ten picks are much better.

The McAsey pick has set us back years though... We got our KPDs via rookie picks (Butts and Murray). The reality is you can get good/decent KPDs relatively cheap.

Generational key forwards I can understand teams taking them inside the top 10 in draft, but key backs feel a real waste to spend that type of capital on.
Yeah, I agree.

We were so far off the pace at that point, it made no sense to spend big on a key defender.

That's probably the one decision that keeps Hamish up at night. Just a historically bad call.

The classic way to do a rebuild is to get your early draft picks right. Swapping talent for need doesn't help achieve that.

No it wasn’t understandable. In a rebuild you need an elite midfield and that hasn’t been our focus, just look at the midfielders we ignored after McAsey.

Our club most probably more than any other has shown that you can get KPD cheaply and we still went for McAsey. The stupid thing is we have then shown again we can do it, Butts, Murray and Keane.

We started with Thilthorpe as he was the standout South Aussie and he is a KPF which is something you actually do use a high pick on.

Especially when there were no strong key forwards in that draft year for him to compete against, his form through the year wasn’t against anyone particularly good.

Yeah, I agree.

We were so far off the pace at that point, it made no sense to spend big on a key defender.

That's probably the one decision that keeps Hamish up at night. Just a historically bad call.

I remember Reid saying they were happy to trade back as there was a group of 4 or 5 that they couldn't really split. Which is where I reckon they looked at Talia and Hartigan nearing 30 and went need among that group. Midfield had Crouch, Crouch, Sloane, Gibbs and Jones coming through. In a 4 man midfield strategy, that's a stacked group.

True which makes the McAsey pick even dumber and hopefully we haven’t repeated it with Curtin.
Or looking at things from a positive perspective - just try being a Happy C for a moment old mate. It’s actually quite rewarding - we have done EXCEPTIONALLY well (and I imagine against the odds and perhaps leagues best?) getting those 3 KPD talls both from a a talent acquisition perspective (Hamish you Hero) and a developmental perspective.

Talented KPD are crucial. Weitering went at 1 and our previous 3 high end draft pics were Talia, Davis and Lever. Didn’t hear you complaining about any of them but of course drafting should be a perfect world where no mistake is ever made hey :)

No it wasn’t understandable. In a rebuild you need an elite midfield and that hasn’t been our focus, just look at the midfielders we ignored after McAsey.

Our club most probably more than any other has shown that you can get KPD cheaply and we still went for McAsey. The stupid thing is we have then shown again we can do it, Butts, Murray and Keane.

We started with Thilthorpe as he was the standout South Aussie and he is a KPF which is something you actually do use a high pick on.
Why were 3 other clubs inc Tigers and Cats looking at trading up to get McAsey at the time? Have they got dud recruiters also?

Ps we didn’t start with TT as you said. He was drafted the year after McAsey

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was Vic Metro MVP, the clear stand out tall at that pick and 3 other clubs looking at trading up to get him, sometimes shit just happens

Why were 3 other clubs inc Tigers and Cats looking at trading up to get McAsey at the time? Have they got dud recruiters also?

Sound plausible that clubs were after him, but any trade up that high was a big stretch. Geelong 1st pick that year was 16, Richmond was 21. After the even recruiter talk only imho.

Mitch Georgiades or Sam De Koning or for that a half dozen after Mcasey would have been nice in hindsight and more what we needed.

Or looking at things from a positive perspective - just try being a Happy C for a moment old mate. It’s actually quite rewarding - we have done EXCEPTIONALLY well (and I imagine against the odds and perhaps leagues best?) getting those 3 KPD talls both from a a talent acquisition perspective (Hamish you Hero) and a developmental perspective.

Talented KPD are crucial. Weitering went at 1 and our previous 3 high end draft pics were Talia, Davis and Lever. Didn’t hear you complaining about any of them but of course drafting should be a perfect world where no mistake is ever made hey :)

Weren’t they more mid/latish first rounders?

I remember Reid saying they were happy to trade back as there was a group of 4 or 5 that they couldn't really split. Which is where I reckon they looked at Talia and Hartigan nearing 30 and went need among that group. Midfield had Crouch, Crouch, Sloane, Gibbs and Jones coming through. In a 4 man midfield strategy, that's a stacked group.
Hamish probably got stage fright with equal calibre mids around that pick, he has no talent in identifying mids, so went his safe option in defender McAsey.

Hamish is good at identifying KPD talent. Struggles with midfielders.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

But none did right? So looking is debatable and didn’t happen.

Sorry Mr Pedantic, the same message applies.

The revisionism that McAsey wasn't talented is wrong.

Head not right for it, and that's something that should have been identified, but the bloke had the talent to make a career
Am pretty sure there were plenty who could tell McAsey was not a top 10 player. I don’t want us to draft him and plenty of others the same. Was always a big plodder.

Once we drafted him I wanted him to succeed but we right royally screwed that one up.

Likewise this year I don’t want Sid Draper - long bombs and missed handballs galore - would fit in perfectly at the crows so watch us take him.

The revisionism that McAsey wasn't talented is wrong.

Head not right for it, and that's something that should have been identified, but the bloke had the talent to make a career
The question is, was that talent worth 6? Factor in the talent available around that pick. It was a horrible reach, a knee jerk reaction to the demise of Talia, rather than a "best available talent" selection.

The question is, was that talent worth 6? Factor in the talent available around that pick. It was a horrible reach, a knee jerk reaction to the demise of Talia, rather than a "best available talent" selection.
It's probably our worst ever draft selection. And we drafted some real howlers in the early 2000s.

It should be enough for Hamish to get sacked.

Hawthorn look like they got burnt with Denver Granger-Barrass the following draft at pick 6 as well.

Listening to Twomey it sounds like he'll be moved on in some way, shape or form at the end of this season

Back