List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta pick someone eventually. You can’t just keep kicking the can down the road.

You have to spend the currency at some stage and look at what you bought.

Do you spend it on a draft pick or use it in a trade?

I’m sure we are aiming for Sid Draper, which is great - a top rated SA mid - hooray!! Welsh is a freebie, another tick!

I think we need to spend spend spend everything we have. Get some trades that walk into our 22.

I’m not sure what is out there. Petty and Luko appear to be the only ones being talked about - oh and Isaac Cumming.

Petty is an upgrade.
Luko is an upgrade.
Cumming is an upgrade.

Do we end up with a bunch of upgrades and no leap ahead recruit? Or do we put all our efforts into nabbing a must have, like an elite ruck prospect? Surely we don’t concentrate on upping our draft hand?

I’d be stoked with some of our existing players in the SANFL getting a chance to show us what they’ve got at AFL level BEFORE we go to trade period and the draft!!!

Exhibit A - Taylor.

Curtin? Edwards? Ryan? Bond?

Ahhh AFC you have me pondering these options very very early this year!

Fog isn't a vocal, strong leader though. He also has too many low effort games still to be a leader, not the kind of example you want your leaders to be setting.

MM has played 30 odd games, let him settle into his career first. Murray's also played less than 50 and just had a year out.

Not sure what you've got against Milera but his calm and composure on the field is something we should be tapping into. Still one of our most talented players if his body will let him get a run a it.

Rankine has proved himself this season as has Hinge, both would be good leaders.
Captain fog would have to be one of the more vocal boys at training and demands high standards from team mates. He really gives players a bake if they do not perform well

Petty is an upgrade.
Luko is an upgrade.
Petty is an upgrade? On who? We have plenty of decent KPDs, so he's not a need there. He's proven to be completely useless as a KPF. Yes, he's an upgrade on Burgess, but we shouldn't be spending draft capital if all we're doing is bolstering our SANFL team.

Cumming would be a great addition, but I wouldn't be getting too excited about Luko either.

Petty is an upgrade? On who? We have plenty of decent KPDs, so he's not a need there. He's proven to be completely useless as a KPF. Yes, he's an upgrade on Burgess, but we shouldn't be spending draft capital if all we're doing is bolstering our SANFL team.

Cumming would be a great addition, but I wouldn't be getting too excited about Luko either.
I'd take Luko as a slight upgrade on Cook (based on current form only) in that wing / high forward flanker role at this stage, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement and doesnt account for any future improvement (Cook may get better as he gets bigger and wiser, whereas I can't see any massive improvements from Luko having been in the system this long).

Haven't seen much I liked from Petty this year but there might be some advantage to having him in the backline purely because I see Butts/Keane/Borlase as all having relatively similar attributes and IF we lose one of them (trade?) Petty would offer more flexibility in defense.

We are a dumb football club.
Never ever needed Dan Curtin and we traded up for him. Went for a player they were unsure of his best position.
Earlier phantom drafts had him top three, then dropped significantly and the Crows took the bait.
If the crows thought CHB was his best position, where was he in the pecking order. Before the Crows drafted him we had as tall back men Butts, Murray, Keane, Worrell, Borlase Michalanney and also, preseason they mentioned they were looking at Himmelberg as a possible CHB.
I thought there was an old football saying "never pick a FB. or CHB with an early draft pick as you can always make one or find one later in the draft". Going through the drafts many good/great back men were taken a lot later than 8 in the draft.
One of the rare great back men taken early was Weitering.
I realise nowadays, that intercepting back men are valued but surely we could have manufactured one from what we all ready had.

You gotta pick someone eventually. You can’t just keep kicking the can down the road.

You have to spend the currency at some stage and look at what you bought.

Do you spend it on a draft pick or use it in a trade?

I’m sure we are aiming for Sid Draper, which is great - a top rated SA mid - hooray!! Welsh is a freebie, another tick!

I think we need to spend spend spend everything we have. Get some trades that walk into our 22.

I’m not sure what is out there. Petty and Luko appear to be the only ones being talked about - oh and Isaac Cumming.

Petty is an upgrade.
Luko is an upgrade.
Cumming is an upgrade.

Do we end up with a bunch of upgrades and no leap ahead recruit? Or do we put all our efforts into nabbing a must have, like an elite ruck prospect? Surely we don’t concentrate on upping our draft hand?

I’d be stoked with some of our existing players in the SANFL getting a chance to show us what they’ve got at AFL level BEFORE we go to trade period and the draft!!!

Exhibit A - Taylor.

Curtin? Edwards? Ryan? Bond?

Ahhh AFC you have me pondering these options very very early this year!
I wonder if GC would look at a trade with us on draft night for their pick 8 - say 8 & 20 for 5...if it looks like Draper might slide a few spots - grab him and then get Dodson - the young SA state ruck that really impressed as one for the future. I like the idea of going after Cumming - he would add to our side imo. Then if we just can't wait for Petty, we use our 2nd this year and F2 to target him. The use later points for Welsh - we might have to trade out a player or 2 for some later picks.

So we end up with something like this
Draper - draft
Dodson - draft
Welsh - draft
Petty - trade
Cumming - Free agent

That would help a bit with the here and now, put a guy away for the future ruck wise and get us that top rated young mid and a very promising young mobile goalkicking forward

Would still leave us with our F1 in that scenario

I'd take Luko as a slight upgrade on Cook (based on current form only) in that wing / high forward flanker role at this stage, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement and doesnt account for any future improvement (Cook may get better as he gets bigger and wiser, whereas I can't see any massive improvements from Luko having been in the system this long).
He'd definitely be an upgrade on Cook, who seems to have an allergy to leather. I still wouldn't want to pay much for him though.
Haven't seen much I liked from Petty this year but there might be some advantage to having him in the backline purely because I see Butts/Keane/Borlase as all having relatively similar attributes and IF we lose one of them (trade?) Petty would offer more flexibility in defense.
Maybe... but only if the rumours about Keane seeking a return to Collingwood turn out to be true. There's no spot for him in our current back line, which is the one area of our team which IS performing in this annus horribilus.

Never ever needed Dan Curtin and we traded up for him. Went for a player they were unsure of his best position.
Earlier phantom drafts had him top three, then dropped significantly and the Crows took the bait.
If the crows thought CHB was his best position, where was he in the pecking order. Before the Crows drafted him we had as tall back men Butts, Murray, Keane, Worrell, Borlase Michalanney and also, preseason they mentioned they were looking at Himmelberg as a possible CHB.
I thought there was an old football saying "never pick a FB. or CHB with an early draft pick as you can always make one or find one later in the draft". Going through the drafts many good/great back men were taken a lot later than 8 in the draft.
One of the rare great back men taken early was Weitering.
I realise nowadays, that intercepting back men are valued but surely we could have manufactured one from what we all ready had.
Curtin is a midfield, that's why we are finally playing him in the correct position this week at SANFL. He finished with 14 disposals and a lot of them were quality and 8 tackles, also used his height advantage to take a few strong contested marks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if GC would look at a trade with us on draft night for their pick 8 - say 8 & 20 for 5...if it looks like Draper might slide a few spots - grab him and then get Dodson - the young SA state ruck that really impressed as one for the future. I like the idea of going after Cumming - he would add to our side imo. Then if we just can't wait for Petty, we use our 2nd this year and F2 to target him. The use later points for Welsh - we might have to trade out a player or 2 for some later picks.

So we end up with something like this
Draper - draft
Dodson - draft
Welsh - draft
Petty - trade
Cumming - Free agent

That would help a bit with the here and now, put a guy away for the future ruck wise and get us that top rated young mid and a very promising young mobile goalkicking forward

Would still leave us with our F1 in that scenario
I wouldn’t want to be bringing in picks around that 20 mark prior to the night as this position is probably around where a Welsh bid ends up and we’ve downgraded a pick with no real benefit.

Still don't know what, if any, changes will be made to the bidding rules this draft so all our ideas might be completely unworkable under new rules.

GC have a squillion picks in this draft, more than they need, and likely getting a bargain with their top 5 academy mid. So I'd like for us to snare their highest pick for our F1, two top mids from this draft, one of them Draper.

You might have me confused with someone else because I never post in the Adelaide thread so I doubt you've read much, if not anything I've posted.

Edit: Just double checked and you joined in October of 2022? Lmao. I haven't even posted in this thread since October 2022 apart from the coach thread last month. You've been here 2 years lol. So much dumb crap "over the years".

You know 2 is the minimum number of years to use the plural years right?
Yep, I joined in 2022 and have never been here earlier.

Murray moves over to Butts role and Petty takes Murray's.
Is Petty really that much of an upgrade on Butts? I wouldn't have thought so. That seems to be "grass is greener on the other side" thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back