VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe that people are talking about de-listing Van-Es.

He played 14 games last season, and then had surgery to remove a plate from his ankle.
I was under the impression that he was tracking well last season.

Still reckon the club has given him some assurance in regards to next year to facilitate his move to the inactive list and allow us to select Max Hall in the mid season draft.

Without an assurance, and with the prospect of being delisted, I imagine Van Es would’ve done everything possible to play again this season.

His best game I’ve seen from him since joining the club. Much more composed around the ball. Was able to drive his legs and looked much more like he did during his u18 games. His marking also looked better.

Overall still needs to improve his work around stoppages, as there were a few hack kicks. Overall definitely improving. I’d say he’s following a simmilar trajectory to wi du last year. We see how well windy has done. So overall yes he’s showing a lot. His tackling has also stepped up this year imo. It’s a matter of time. Would love to see him get over 30 too think it will just be massive mentally.

EDIT
His clearance/ tackle numbers since playing VFL are
5, 9
5. 3
7, 13
1, 8
8, 4

Can see he is just finding the right balance.
I didn't see his game this week but based off his other ones, his next evolution as a mid is to start getting some easy possessions. He's getting better at his contested and clearance work every week but he's working hard for every touch. Once he starts getting some easier ones on the outside, his game will become more rounded and he will have more influence overall.

How are people feeling about Pou's future as a mid? We really need him to become an A grader, is he following a path that others have gone on to become a gun?

Didn't catch the Brisbane VFL game, his numbers look good, keen to hear everyone's thoughts.

The stream kept dropping out but he looked good in bits I saw. He's very good overhead for his size and he was very involved. Doesn't look a natural clearance player but has quick hands in traffic.

Didn't see all of the game but he had a couple of half arsed chases that were a bit disappointing while I watched. Looked half interested. Without watching enough to say that was his whole game, the stream dropping out might have highlighted his lowlights.
We have to be realistic with this kids , they are skinny schoolboys and most of them need time to develop and mature

How are people feeling about Pou's future as a mid? We really need him to become an A grader, is he following a path that others have gone on to become a gun?

Didn't catch the Brisbane VFL game, his numbers look good, keen to hear everyone's thoughts.
Needs to put on significant muscling, he's not even close to filling out. He'll definitely be a player but his ceiling is TBD.
Most kids take time. We get hoodwinked by the fast starters but he's tracking just fine.

I didn't see his game this week but based off his other ones, his next evolution as a mid is to start getting some easy possessions. He's getting better at his contested and clearance work every week but he's working hard for every touch. Once he starts getting some easier ones on the outside, his game will become more rounded and he will have more influence overall.
I couldn’t agree more. To me it’s confidence and progression. The key for me was he started to use his legs his around stoppage. Even the goal he kicked. Although not a stoppage he got the ball took some steps then steadied.

It’s a sign that the game might be starting to slow down for him. Now I know it’s it’s VFL speed but it’s still imo the best he’s looked. He really started to show some speed out the stoppage. Again like Wibdy last year this will be great for his development.

Also at vfl level due to the camera position you get a real appreciation for just how big he really is.

Well there are different paths that others have gone on before becoming a gun or at least a very good mid.

Banga was playing pretty decent senior football in his second year at 17 and just got better and better.

Nathan Burke started as a Back Pocket before becoming a gun mid.

Andrew Thompson was a late bloomer.

BJ took a little while to get going and was a Utility/ Mid who could play various roles including down back. Currently of all our previous mids he is the one that I would compare Pou most closely to. And that may include Pous' best role for us not be as a pure mid.

Wth Pou, lets see how he goes next season by when he should have a man's body rather than his current boyish one..

Well there are different paths that others have gone on before becoming a gun or at least a very good mid.

Banga was playing pretty decent senior football in his second year at 17 and just got better and better.

BJ took a little while to get going and was a Utility/ Mid who could play various roles including down back. Currently of all our previous mids he is the one that I would compare Pou most closely to. And that may include Pous' best role for us not be as a pure mid.

Wth Pou, lets see how he goes next season by when he should have a man's body rather than his current boyish one..

So many people think you open a tin can, and pull out the 18yo footballer, and what is in the can is what you get for 10 years.
Wrong Dumbasses.

Byrnes was good agree probably just off the peloton. Heath and Campbell will be an interesting call. I'd keep both if we can't attract another ruck. Campbell is way too good for VFL and unlucky not to have played 100 more games. In another era he's a gun. Heath is developing which is exactly what you need form a young ruck.

I really like Garcia. He's a Geary type who just works this arse off. He lacks a bit of polish which might come with age but he won't fail due to lack of effort. If you could put his attitude into Collard you'd have the best small forward in the league.
It will be so St Kilda if big TC ends up having boys who can really football.

After his performance in the two I wouldn’t stress to much. Dominated! Contested marking, kicking goal getting heaps
Of clearances. Gun

Pou played a good game for Sandy on stats alone, but I was concerned at how easy the Lions midfield got the ball and pumped it forward, and really didn't notice him all that much, though I think he needs a lot of work on his defensive side, and I would get him down to a good running coach over summer.

Pou played a good game for Sandy on stats alone, but I was concerned at how easy the Lions midfield got the ball and pumped it forward, and really didn't notice him all that much, though I think he needs a lot of work on his defensive side, and I would get him down to a good running coach over summer.

He's already a top 5 runner at the club. His defensive game looks fine to me as he's trying to play an inside role not an outside role. He's not the one we want pushing up and back doing long sprints down the wing and flanks covering outlets.

In the VFL this season he's averaging 7.4 tackles per game too. That's really high.

I want him to work on his stoppage craft and, his movement and burst power, his ability to take the ball cleanly from inside to outside, handball receives and that kind of thing.

I thought his game this weekend was better than his others, his movement at stoppage was an improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's already a top 5 runner at the club. His defensive game looks fine to me as he's trying to play an inside role not an outside role. He's not the one we want pushing up and back doing long sprints down the wing and flanks covering outlets.

In the VFL this season he's averaging 7.4 tackles per game too. That's really high.

I want him to work on his stoppage craft and, his movement and burst power, his ability to take the ball cleanly from inside to outside, handball receives and that kind of thing.

I thought his game this weekend was better than his others, his movement at stoppage was an improvement.
I was sort of thinking running coach to work on sprinting, as that's a big tool for any aspiring mid

I couldn’t agree more. To me it’s confidence and progression. The key for me was he started to use his legs his around stoppage. Even the goal he kicked. Although not a stoppage he got the ball took some steps then steadied.

It’s a sign that the game might be starting to slow down for him. Now I know it’s it’s VFL speed but it’s still imo the best he’s looked. He really started to show some speed out the stoppage. Again like Wibdy last year this will be great for his development.

Also at vfl level due to the camera position you get a real appreciation for just how big he really is.
Nice post.
But it begs the question.
Why on earth was he chosen for every AFL game, week-in, week-out, from March last year, until a month ago??
What kind of pot was the selection committee smoking?

Geelong has always done well holding kids back in the VFL until they are ready. It's not always a bad thing. Clubs that are desperate want their kids in day one to offer hope. It works for some and a negative for others. Imagine Billings coming in after dominating VFL for a couple of seasons. He might have been a much more dominant and sure player.

Nice post.
Why on earth was he chosen for every AFL game, week-in, week-out, from March last year, until a month ago??

Geelong has always done well holding kids back in the VFL until they are ready. It's not always a bad thing. Clubs that are desperate want their kids in day one to offer hope. It works for some and a negative for others. Imagine Billings coming in after dominating VFL for a couple of seasons. He might have been a much more dominant and sure player.
It is certainly a ballance. For instance Collingwood and the dogs have always played talented guys sraigth away.

The swans have usually made guys start and earn it in the twos.

Regardless I think Ross may have waited a tad too long wth POu but overall getting more AFL games is not a bad thing.
I also think POu was probably sacraficing his development to play a forward role in the ones.

It is certainly a ballance. For instance Collingwood and the dogs have always played talented guys sraigth away.

The swans have usually made guys start and earn it in the twos.

Regardless I think Ross may have waited a tad too long wth POu but overall getting more AFL games is not a bad thing.
I also think POu was probably sacraficing his development to play a forward role in the ones.

I think both have a had a balance. Plenty of both have developed outside of the AFL side and come in later. Most sides will play their highest picks earlier but will hold them back if they look to be stalling. I think sides down the bottom want their kids in regardless of form or development for good news stories and to pump games into them quickly believing you'll see results quicker that way.

It will be so St Kilda if big TC ends up having boys who can really football.

Well TC has only played 3 games for us, so he is only 97 games short of qualifying us a for a FS, and so probably not the best example to illustrate your point..

But yes we have stranded players in the high 90's that we really should have nudged to the 100 mark. ie Moose Maguire 99 with us and then 71 at the Lions.

The downside is that it can also sometimes mean that you are being second to the ball. So you do not win it, but can tackle the guy that got there first.

We need Pou to be first to the ball, and then be able to burst away. It is a combination of judgement and speed. Pou probably needs to improve both.

He may have had good sprint times in the Draft Trials, but he is not showing it in play.

Well TC has only played 3 games for us, so he is only 97 games short of qualifying us a for a FS, and so probably not the best example to illustrate your point..

But yes we have stranded players in the high 90's that we really should have nudged to the 100 mark. ie Moose Maguire 99 with us and then 71 at the Lions.
On the other hand, Brad Hill has played 98 games for us, and his partner is expecting a baby boy in July.

Weirdly, he's played more for us than he has for the Hawks or Dockers.

Anyone know if anyone else in our current crop have sons?

On the other hand, Brad Hill has played 98 games for us, and his partner is expecting a baby boy in July.

Weirdly, he's played more for us than he has for the Hawks or Dockers.

Anyone know if anyone else in our current crop have sons?
we might have a father son yet, with Bad Hill's son. however knowing our luck he will like soccer

Nice post.
I reckon Scud was contributing a lot more at senior level for at least 3/4 of last season.

He dropped off a bit but we didn't really have much to bring in from Sandy to replace him with.

We do seem to have a few more options this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back