VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing he does have is probably the best goal sense I’ve ever seen. No matter where he is he knows exactly where they are.

Agree Botts but he needs to seriously address his 'body language', most of the time he looks like he has been told he will be delisted after the game. The really good small forwards are bubbly effervescent characters who their team mates feed off their energy eg Cameron, Hill, Pickett & Stengle. Watching Collard is like watching the grinch version of a small forward.

Perhaps thats just his persona rather than being really unhappy, but he needs to understand his importance to his team mates and contributing in all facets of the game.

Agree Botts but he needs to seriously address his 'body language', most of the time he looks like he has been told he will be delisted after the game. The really good small forwards are bubbly effervescent characters who their team mates feed off their energy eg Cameron, Hill, Pickett & Stengle. Watching Collard is like watching the grinch version of a small forward.

Perhaps thats just his persona rather than being really unhappy, but he needs to understand his importance to his team mates and contributing in all facets of the game.
Do we have a single player like that in our team? Our goal celebrations have to be the most subdued in the league.

Love to see Mattaes play a ripper.

First time over 30 and 2 goals.
Another 9 tackles.
Bring him back and let him play the rest of the games.

Really happy for him.

One more in VFL for mine.

Reason - he looked to be moving, freely dare I say faster and getting into positions to receive the ball rather than just win it in close.

Would love to give him the chance to bed that down and consolidate before he goes back to AFL level

One more in VFL for mine.

Reason - he looked to be moving, freely dare I say faster and getting into positions to receive the ball rather than just win it in close.

Would love to give him the chance to bed that down and consolidate before he goes back to AFL level
I'd love that too, and for him to get some FIGJAM back into him. But not sure we'll have the luxury.

We seem to have several blokes at the club who look like they are about to start crying half the time , need some spark , way too many bland characters

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another game where Sandringham rue a slow start and letting one player Mannagh off the chain who kicked 7 goals. Stocker was responsible for him early and got an absolute bath, in truth it was an horrific match up by the Sandi coaching group. Mannagh was far too quick and smart for the lumbering Stocker.

The main thing that stood out to me was how organised Geelong were at stoppages. Every player was on the move and knew what their role was and where to be at any one point, Sandringham were like St Kilda, all players were far too stationary and look to have no set plans running around like headless chooks.

I was interested in watching Heath to see how he matched up against Stanley/Edwards AFL ruckman. I only watched the first half before the main game started, but I thought Max did a fairly good job. Max has a good leap and reach at the centre bounces and held his own, his concerns are when he gets into a wrestle Stanley was easily able to throw Max off his feet in any grapples. He ended up with more hitouts and possessions than Stanley which is note worthy.

If I was Max Heath's development coach I would send him to a juititsu coach to teach him how to keep his feet when wrestling. That plus keep working on his core strength and at some point he might just get there. His around the ground play is never going to be seen as stylish or a natural footballer, but he does enough to warrant his position. If he can keep improving he may turn into a similiar player to McInernie or Soldo, which is evident the Saints need to look at bringing in another young more mobile ruckman this year.

Last edited:
There is no one on our list that can do what he can with the ball in his hands, trouble is he doesn't get it much

Hopefully he builds up to a more consistent performer. If he can build up his concentration and involvement he could be anything

For anyone who watched. How did Keeler go? First game for a few weeks? Stats look ok. Want him to make it.
Was named second best player behind Pou on the playhq website and I probably agree with that. Played defence for the most part, took 4 REALLY good contested intercept marks. Was swung forward just before 3qt and was really good in the last up forward. Kicked a goal, a couple goal assists and finished with 10 marks. Sandy actually had more inside 50s and disposals for the match but couldn’t score, changing the structure and sending Keels forward was part of the reason they kicked 5.5 to 2.1 in the last. Would be shocked if he doesn’t debut this year.

Pou was massive though, was moving better than he has since his draft year, actually bursting away from contests. Deserves a recall in my opinion.

Some stats from the VFL game.
Phillipou : 31 disposals, 16 contested. 9 clearances. 2 goals. 7 score involvements, 9 tackles.
Garcia : 18 disposals, 10 contested, 3 clearances , 1 goal, 3 score involvements, 13 tackles.
Heath : 16 disposals, 13 contested, 6 clearances, 1 goal, 2 score involvements, 5 tackles , 28 hitouts.
Jones : 28 disposals, 12 contested , 4 clearances, 5 score involvements. 2 tackles.
Membrey: 20 disposals, 6 contested, 0 clearances, 1 goal, 5 score involvements, 3 tackles.
Keeler :16 disposals, 7 contested, 0 clearances, 1 goal, 4 score involvements, 0 tackles. 3 hitouts.

Phillipou : 31 disposals, 16 contested. 9 clearances. 2 goals. 7 score involvements, 9 tackles.
Garcia : 18 disposals, 10 contested, 3 clearances , 1 goal, 3 score involvements, 13 tackles.
Heath : 16 disposals, 13 contested, 6 clearances, 1 goal, 2 score involvements, 5 tackles , 28 hitouts.
Jones : 28 disposals, 12 contested , 4 clearances, 5 score involvements. 2 tackles.
Membrey: 20 disposals, 6 contested, 0 clearances, 1 goal, 5 score involvements, 3 tackles.
Keeler :16 disposals, 7 contested, 0 clearances, 1 goal, 4 score involvements, 0 tackles. 3 hitouts.
One thing about Heath , he sure has the desire to hunt to ball and the man who has it , he is really starting to get around the ground a lot better than he used to, they must stick with him because at least he has a heart and tries

Really promising game from Pou.

Jeez Garcia can tackle. If he can find the ball a little more he could be a beast.

Jeez Garcia can tackle. If he can find the ball a little more he could be a beast.
Its players like him , Hastie ,Keeler, Van Es, Heath and Collard that we need to come on and come on fast

I just finished watching the rest of the game. The difference to when Pou started his VFL jaunt to now is night and day. He is getting on the move and driving his legs at stoppages and looks to have his confidence and spring back in his step. Im much more settled with the idea he will become a very good to elite midfielder now.

I have never been more excited by a kid taken at #50 in the draft as Garcia. This kid is going to be a star, he just never stops working and putting his head in places other players wouldnt dream of. His attack on the ball, tackling and work around goals will ensure we are going to get many years of joy watching this kid play. The other notable thing with Hugo is you can see he loves every second of being out there with his team mates, his team mates would love him.

Keeler is another who has taken some big steps in recent weeks, he looks like he is starting to think he belongs in the AFL. I dont know where we fit him in but I would love to see him get a few a games before too long.

Best thing about those stats is the 15 uncontested possessions imo. In order for a running player to have impact they have to be able to put themselves in position to receive as well as get their own ball. Pou (and Owens) at AFL level have been getting the vast majority of their footy in contests where they can’t use it well - this suggests the penny’s dropping for Pou.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back