VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Best thing about those stats is the 15 uncontested possessions imo. In order for a running player to have impact they have to be able to put themselves in position to receive as well as get their own ball. Pou (and Owens) at AFL level have been getting the vast majority of their footy in contests where they can’t use it well - this suggests the penny’s dropping for Pou.
He looked a star out there. Awesome signs. Give some love to max heath as well. Be Stanley easily in the ruck. He has really improved this year

We seem to have several blokes at the club who look like they are about to start crying half the time , need some spark , way too many bland characters
We keep saying this, and it seems to be Saints culture. The big personalities spend a season with guys like Sinclair Membrey and Ross and end up respectful introverts who defer to others

Best thing about those stats is the 15 uncontested possessions imo. In order for a running player to have impact they have to be able to put themselves in position to receive as well as get their own ball. Pou (and Owens) at AFL level have been getting the vast majority of their footy in contests where they can’t use it well - this suggests the penny’s dropping for Pou.
Good post , very true

Yeah I somewhat agree. The thing is that whilst the contested possesions are critical to WIN the ball, the damage is done more when you dish off a disposal without pressure and can hit up a forward and the like.

Feeding other players from inside congestion to outside is one side of the coin, being the damaging player who receives it is the other and what really separates the top echelon of players.

Yeah I somewhat agree. The thing is that whilst the contested possesions are critical to WIN the ball, the damage is done more when you dish off a disposal without pressure and can hit up a forward and the like.

Feeding other players from inside congestion to outside is one side of the coin, being the damaging player who receives it is the other and what really separates the top echelon of players.
Yep. One thing was quite clear watching us against Port. All our advances were laborious, scrappy, and incremental passing that went quite near our players, out by a half a second or half a metre, forcing them into contest after contest, whereas Port's were incisive, easy, and efficient. They always found a teammate in a good spot to mark uncontested with no Saints players near him.

I thought right then, I used to say uncontested possessions were less important than the contested kind, but in the right context, uncontested possessions are so valuable. The skillset to get high numbers in the valuable kind must be a big tank, game sense, bravery and burst ability. But we also need players who can contest the ball, win it, and deliver it to those players in space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. One thing was quite clear watching us against Port. All our advances were laborious, scrappy, and incremental passing that went quite near our players, out by a half a second or half a metre, forcing them into contest after contest, whereas Port's were incisive, easy, and efficient. They always found a teammate in a good spot to mark uncontested with no Saints players near him.

I thought right then, I used to say uncontested possessions were less important than the contested kind, but in the right context, uncontested possessions are so valuable. The skillset to get high numbers in the valuable kind must be a big tank, game sense, bravery and burst ability. But we also need players who can contest the ball, win it, and deliver it to those players in space.
Yet they only won by two points and only then with the help of the umpires.

Poor Leon, I can clearly remember a couple of very scruffy looking Filth supporters saying that Leon was extremely lucky that they let him wear filth colours. Comments obviously had racist overtones.
I remember him doing stuff all in the 2010 grand final and last minute popped up and kicked a goal to save the game. Bastard!

Leon Davis is an AFL Premiership...whatever he was.

He was a pretty regular 30 goal a season small forward who had some highlight reels. Not sure he was worse than a heap of others with flags.

I remember him doing stuff all in the 2010 grand final and last minute popped up and kicked a goal to save the game. Bastard!
He was a pretty regular 30 goal a season small forward who had some highlight reels. Not sure he was worse than a heap of others with flags.
He got six disposals and a goal in the drawn GF.
Dropped for the repeat, he still got his medal, despite playing in as many winning grand finals as all the Saints players.

Not much of an accolade though - other premiership rucks include Mark Blake, Brent Renouf, Aaron Keating, Mark Seaby, etc etc etc.

An accolade we all wish some numpty ruckman had achieved while playing with St Kilda.

Also, Rhys Stanley was pretty handy on Grand Final day IIRC.

Goal of the year is a weird thing to cite as proof a player is good. I'm sure plenty of random acts of genius from otherwise mediocre players have won or been in contention for it, haven't they?
That's why I cited All Australian! Accolades are accolades! Betts and Franklin have won most of the GOTY awards. All other players very high profile except one Port player, somebody White, plus Yarran and Merenda. So 20 out of 23 have been pretty much stars of the game at a glance. The number of AA plus GOTY non-stars (outside of Davis) is zero.

avoided all my earthly responsibilities and watched the replay last night...

Biggest takeaway, Pou looked like a compleeeetely different player from a month ago. I was super hard on him a month ago because he looked like he'd barely played a game in his life, this time round he was probably best on and just dominant around stoppage. Put his head over it, won his own ball, took the ball at pace out of stoppage, consistently outmuscled opponents for the front and center position at stoppage, consistently managed to get really nice releasing handballs out while being tackled, took some great grabs with the wet ball.. just light and day. Great work from the club and the pou to turn it around so well. Will only get better from here as he gets used to his new found ball pig status. Still think one more game in the twos to really cement it in his noggin that he's the big dawg before coming back.

garcia was a bit quiet but just clean and tough. Maybe didn't get as much time on ball not sure.. Hotton did some nice things but quiet, keeler will be a real player in a few years, heath looked good, jones can really find space in the guts at that level but does it in spurts which doesn't cut it in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back