VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a good idea to ensure a stronger Sandringham, obviously helps the development of our kids. I'm not entirely sure we attracted anyone that we ordinarily would not have due to the arrangement.

No idea but you’d probably expect it to take a couple of years to filter through. Need to show we follow through on it for a bit before it’s credible.

Watching that game yesterday, I think Hastie was the only player who looked like he had the goods for senior AFL football, and when he builds his tank, I think we will have a player.
the issue u have here is that you're judging off a game where conditions would never happen in a standard AFL stadium.

I thought keeler was also very good at getting to and affecting contests as well, that was pretty much his job yesterday as the conditions were horrible for key talls

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

the issue u have here is that you're judging off a game where conditions would never happen in a standard AFL stadium.

I thought keeler was also very good at getting to and affecting contests as well, that was pretty much his job yesterday as the conditions were horrible for key talls

Difficult conditions are where the quality of players show through. Keeler had an ordinary day and just didn't work hard enough to make position- especially in forward contests.

No doubt SteeloSainter would have taken Weiderman & Scache because they were rated so much higher than anyone else ... because U18 level is where it's at .... potential / development / room for improvement .... can take a hike

I never saw him say not to take him, just that he's not projecting as a high pick. I watched him through the champs and he looks a like a middler. Doesn't really stand out in any way. At that age it means **** all as a tall. Guys like Jake Carlisle, Petty and Sam Collins all went late in the draft. Tall players are much harder to predict than mids, he's worth a free hit and a few years to see where he goes. We'll have had access to him and know how much scope for improvement he has so won't even be a blind gamble.

No idea but you’d probably expect it to take a couple of years to filter through. Need to show we follow through on it for a bit before it’s credible.

It sounded like great concept but probably needs to be paired with some good recruitment. Taking a few high end players like Dom Brew, Joel Trudgeon or Patrick Fairlie who are borderline AFL level is probably the way to maximise the value of the scheme.

Its absolutely nothing to do with ratings, I am actually suggesting the opposite. I am making my own judgements and not looking through rose coloured glasses and listening to media nuffies.

Time will be the judge, lets see who gets the projections correct.

Clavarino was rated as one of the best defenders in his draft.
Van Es was rated highly but injury might stop him making it.
Oscar Adams ...not sure what he was.
If Cole goes in the rookie draft there is a good chance, that like most rookies, he won't make it.

Sam Taylor : 2nd round pick.
Aliir Aliir : 3rd round pick. Traded for 2nd round pick.
Harris Andrews : 4th round pick.
Darcy Moore: First round F/S
Weitering : Pick 1.
Steven May: Gift from AFL, traded for an early first round pick ( along with Kade Kolodadf&*ad)
Tom Barass : 3rd round pick ( the pick before Aliir Aliir ).

Wilkie probably the best to come from a rookie pick but he's a little short for a storm trooper.

It sounded like great concept but probably needs to be paired with some good recruitment. Taking a few high end players like Dom Brew, Joel Trudgeon or Patrick Fairlie who are borderline AFL level is probably the way to maximise the value of the scheme.

The AFL really don't allow clubs to have enough players on the list.
Can anyone say it wasn't embarrassing for the whole contest when West Coast ran out of players a couple of years back, and there are listed players who just shouldn't be playing no matter who else is injured.

The AFL really don't allow clubs to have enough players on the list.
Can anyone say it wasn't embarrassing for the whole contest when West Coast ran out of players a couple of years back, and there are listed players who just shouldn't be playing no matter who else is injured.

Wholly agree, its all about the $$$ with the AFL and AFLPA.

I have no doubt clubs would find and hold onto players longer, if they had more flexibility with how they manage their lists. The draft has become an industry and huge money spinner in itself, so they want to keep turning kids over. The system is good but I think there is room for improvement with alternate methods in managing lists.

The NRL have very different expectations of their younger players. Unless they are exceptional talents they are not exposed to the top level until after they turn 21 yo. They run a under 21 competition (Jursey Fleg), which gives the kids time to develop their games and bodies until they are expected to compete against men. The AFL draft and throw kids into state leagues when so many are not ready to be exposed to those levels. Particularly now the players are getting much taller, the tall skinny kids can take years to get going.

As a result the NRL clubs have a lot more players under the club umbrellas and running the Under 21 allows clubs to develop the kids without the pressures of having them on senior lists. They still run a reserves competitions with their players playing in state leagues similiar to the previous VFL.. The games physical requirements are a little different, but I think running Under 21 comps gives the kids who are slower developers time to mature before having to compete for a senior list position. Their clubs can still promote and play the U21 kids at any time with the obvious list and cap restrictions.

Last edited:

Keeler is still too weak in the contest. Hopefully wins some one on ones after another full pre season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we wont have to worry about Cole going early , Rookie at best based on very limited vision and Allison back to his normal 10 disposals 20 points game and I'm not talking behinds

I like Batchelors review on the players output this week. He had encouraging comments and provided pointed feedback where needed.

There is no doubt Max Heath needs to work on keeping his feet and getting stronger in his ruck work. He does get pushed off or under the ball far too easily at times. But the other things Max does with is marking and ability to fight for the ball on the ground, chasing and tackling he is developing well.

Dow looked really stodgy in his running this week and got a clip for not working hard enough between contests. Rightly so he wants to be a permanent AFL midfielder he simply has to work harder. He mentioned Keeler's need to continue to be consistent with his defensive pressure (2nd efforts) and Shoenmaker getting plenty of it but still needs to work on his defensive intent. Both their obvious weaknesses.

Garcia never stops trying and will be a player (the kid is an energiser bunny), but he needs to learn how to have more impact with the ball in hand and his kicking. He was a bit fumbly on the weekend and sometimes rushes but that composure will come.

Hotton is starting to show what he is capable of, he never really looks a shining light, but does enough to suggest there is a future midfielder hiding away.

I was surprised re McLennan's feedback, I thought he had his best game for the club. Obviously Batch has high hopes for Angus and is encouraging him to keep improving. I think if we are reasonably patient with Angus there is something there to suggest he makes it. His marking for his size is his stand out feature, like Wilkie he never gets beaten.

Last edited:

I like Batchelors review on the players output this week. He had encouraging comments and provided pointed feedback where needed.

There is no doubt Max Heath needs to work on keeping his feet and getting stronger in his ruck work. He does get pushed off or under the ball far too easily at times. But the other things Max does with is marking and ability to fight for the ball on the ground, chasing and tackling he is developing well.

Dow looked really stodgy in his running this week and got a clip for not working hard enough between contests. Rightly so he wants to be a permanent AFL midfielder he simply has to work harder. He mentioned Keeler's need to continue to be consistent with his defensive pressure (2nd efforts) and Shoenmaker getting plenty of it but still needs to work on his defensive intent. Both their obvious weaknesses.

Garcia never stops trying and will be a player (the kid is an energiser bunny), but he needs to learn how to have more impact with the ball in hand and his kicking. He was a bit fumbly on the weekend and sometimes rushes but that composure will come.

Hotton is starting to show what he is capable of, he never really looks a shining light, but does enough to suggest there is a future midfielder hiding away.

I was surprised re McLennan's feedback, I thought he had his best game for the club. Obviously Batch has high hopes for Angus and is encouraging him to keep improving. I think if we are reasonably patient with Angus there is something there to suggest he makes it. His marking for his size is his stand out feature, like Wilkie he never gets beaten.
I really respect batch’s feedback and these reviews. They’re pretty good at highlighting what was good but also sometimes showing where a good stats sheet doesn’t actually meet the expectations which is useful for most supporters who don’t get to watch the match themselves

Gus played a new role on the weekend that focuses more on getting the ball than before so it probably makes sense that he looked like he had played his best game of the club. He reminds me of a baby version of Tom Stewart tbh (very baby)

The afl really need to either set up a true reserves comp and let the non aligned vfl teams do their own thing or set up a true nation wide second tier comp.
The way it’s set up now is truly a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back