2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

My read so far would be the following:

Tier 1; O’Sullivan, Smith, Draper, Ashcroft

Tier 2; Langford, Lalor, Reid, Trainor, Smilie

Tier 3; Armstrong, Allen, Travalgia, Hotton, Kako, Lindsay, Berry, Hynes,

Tier 4; J. Whitlock, M. Whitlock, Moraes, Gross etc out to 30

You’ve said yourself you have doubts about even Lalor translating, Reid and Langford both pretty slow for the blue chip mid we’re after. Trainor not for us really, Smilie’s energy/competitiveness looks a little worrying.

Although I wouldn’t be upset with any of these guys (if they slip through), you have to say O’Sullivan looks the best of them with the most translatable traits, Smith’s game is proven at all levels/conditions, Draper the prototype mid we’re looking for with burst pace and link running.

Year on year proves there’s unexpected busts outside the top 5. You said it yourself.. IF we selected the right guys at 7,8. And you’ve expressed doubts about dalrymple’s first round drafting.

There’s a gap as there is every year and like every year, we should do what we can to get into the top 3.
The only thing here is the clubs will see things differently from general fans who haven’t at he’s consistently for multiple years and don’t interview. Hence why Langford may go at 1 or might go at 7 and GWS’s recruiting boss said he’d probably have players generally considered in the 10-15 range within their top 5.

There could be a bunch of surprises.

Reid absolutely taking the P today. One of the best moments I saw wasn’t even kicking goals, but the incredible one touch clearance pick up. His clean hands are kind of stupid 😂😂
He’s as clean an underager I’ve seen for a long time. Think he ends up elevating into the top 4/5 with strong testing at the champs tbh

Are we jumping the gun in assuming we'll get pick 8? I do not trust the AFL to not screw us. They have form.
Given that there is some degree of discretion in the compensation formula - I wonder whether the fact we have slid from 5 to 7 makes it a little easier for them to award us Band 1?

Last edited:

You’ve said yourself you have doubts about even Lalor translating, Reid and Langford both pretty slow for the blue chip mid we’re after. Trainor not for us really, Smilie’s energy/competitiveness looks a little worrying.

Although I wouldn’t be upset with any of these guys (if they slip through), you have to say O’Sullivan looks the best of them with the most translatable traits, Smith’s game is proven at all levels/conditions, Draper the prototype mid we’re looking for with burst pace and link running.

Year on year proves there’s unexpected busts outside the top 5. You said it yourself.. IF we selected the right guys at 7,8. And you’ve expressed doubts about dalrymple’s first round drafting.

There’s a gap as there is every year and like every year, we should do what we can to get into the top 3.
Smilie hey, da da da dahhh, can't remember the lyrics & hate that song. Is currently in my head though?

He’s as clean an underager I’ve seen for a long time. Think he ends up elevating into the top 4/5 with strong testing at the champs tbh
I've come around on him as well. Watching the Hawks on Friday night with their quick smart hands, Reid plays just like that. Everyone wants the next Bont or Cripps but there is a lot more risk of a bust with tall mids imo, especially when team balance is in question.

I don't think he is in that top tier but neither are we anymore. If Reid is what's left, I won't be upset

Get Hotton & Lindsay, maybe then
Hotton could of been in top 5 contention, if not for the acl.
Lindsay, one of the better kicks & B.O.G in the VM v VC final.

Last edited:
Perceptions differ every year but the stats really don’t.

I previously said what I would do, 7+8 for 2+22 ideally and would probably accept as a worst case 7+8 for 2+40.
We need top midfielders, and not just 1 because we have literally the bottom 4 midfield. If you think having 1 top pick will fix the issue, then we have learnt nothing from our recruitment lessons in the past, nothing is certain, top 3 can be a bust (Philips, Dow etc.) so if you get an opportunity to grab high end talent, take it.. The fact that there is no consensus top 3 tell you something..

Think Reid is coming with a bullet and will be gone before our first.

1-tigers: O'Sullivan
2-north: trainor
3-wc: smith
4-crows: Draper
5-rich/gc: Reid/langford
6-Melb: Reid/langford

Leaves smilie and lalor left from the "top group"
Wouldn't complain if we Landed Smillie and Lalor. Certainly puts the grunt into our midfield going forward.

Future inside mids of:

Phillipou, Smillie, Lalor

Outside mids:

NWM, Wilson, Peckett

Inside/outside:

Windhager, Garcia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Reid is coming with a bullet and will be gone before our first.

1-tigers: O'Sullivan
2-north: trainor
3-wc: smith
4-crows: Draper
5-rich/gc: Reid/langford
6-Melb: Reid/langford

Leaves smilie and lalor left from the "top group"
Absolutely delicious. Though I can’t see North taking Trainor there. Hopefully they only trade back to 6 and take him or Armstrong there. Armstrong must be a pretty attractive proposition if you want a tall.

Wouldn't complain if we Landed Smillie and Lalor. Certainly puts the grunt into our midfield going forward.

Future inside mids of:

Phillipou, Smillie, Lalor

Outside mids:

NWM, Wilson, Peckett

Inside/outside:

Windhager, Garcia
All three of SMilie, Lalor and Pou would be incredibly hard matchups floating forward as well

FOS in his 4 Coates league games has 15, 18, 17 & 17 disposals. Surely he couldn't slide after his underwhelming (injury interrupted) year?

Anything is possible he could go at #1 all the way through to #7 to us. He was hardly sighted in todays game he is a shadow of the player he was last year. But clubs saw what he did last year, the big concern would be his capacity to work through injuries.

Last edited:
We need top midfielders, and not just 1 because we have literally the bottom 4 midfield. If you think having 1 top pick will fix the issue, then we have learnt nothing from our recruitment lessons in the past, nothing is certain, top 3 can be a bust (Philips, Dow etc.) so if you get an opportunity to grab high end talent, take it.. The fact that there is no consensus top 3 tell you something..
Firstly, there is an emerging top tier which is broadly acknowledged. This may change but ultimately a top 5 crystallizes by draft day.

Pick 2 is the most likely pick to return a gun player at 73% hit rate. So you are right it does bust 27% of the time.

Pick 8 hits 27%, 9 hits 36% for a better than ave player.

I’ll take my chances with 2

And if we hit with 2 (I would draft draper), I absolutely think having an Uber premium mid will make a big difference.

We don’t need to draft 4 good ordinary mids. We have some really likely guys on the list already in Phillipou, Garcia, Wilson, Windhager who need mid minutes. We’ll have Peckett to add in. We need the ‘star’.

Add FOS, Smith or Draper with pick 2

hope one from tier 3 drops to our pick 24

having said all that, I’m pretty impressed with all the top 10 and do concede the gap between tiers looks smaller at the moment than in other years. Not that it would change my approach

Absolutely delicious. Though I can’t see North taking Trainor there. Hopefully they only trade back to 6 and take him or Armstrong there. Armstrong must be a pretty attractive proposition if you want a tall.
Norf could absolutely take Trainor there, they desperately need decent KP's. Armstrong or Shanahan wouldn't surprise either.

Would be the dream scenario
I had a dream last night.
With pick 7, Stkilda select Murphy Reid

Scared Eric Cartman GIF by South Park

Some finals action…

Langford: 27 disposals, 3 marks, and a tackle in a one goal win.

Peckett: 13 disposals, 8 marks, and 3 tackles in the same game.

Reid: 25 disposals, 6 marks, 5 tackles, and 3.1 in a 10 goal win.
Smith: 31 disposals, 7 tackles, and a goal in a 2 point win.

The rumours are also true…

Langford is a genuine chance of going first in the draft. His form has been absolutely irresistible.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back