Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a decent record at the SCG compared to ENGIE/Skoda/Homebush showgrounds. Showgrounds has never been conducive for Hawthorn, whereas at the SCG we've always been able to use the width as it isn't too dissimilar to the MCG.
I checked scg dimensions

5 metres less length and 5 metres less width than mcg

It surprised me a bit i thought was smaller

Why is that ?

SCG dimensions are a myth. The wings look shallow but it’s not that different in width to the MCG. It is a bit smaller.

ENGIE actually has dimensions that are closer to Kardinia than anything.

MCG is 162 x 139.
SCG is 155 x 136.
Kardinia is 170 x 115.
ENGIE is 164 x 127.

SCG dimensions are a myth. The wings look shallow but it’s not that different in width or length to the MCG.

The cameras seem to film it from a lower angle than other grounds, so it looks smaller on TV.

SCG dimensions are a myth. The wings look shallow but it’s not that different in width or length to the MCG.

MCG is 162 x 139.
SCG is 155 x 136.
Kardinia is 170 x 115.
ENGIE is 164 x 127.

ENGIE is actually closer to Perth (Optus) Stadium according to this list. Just a couple of metres off.

1725852900667.png

This. The SCG isn't a ground like Alphabet where they trimmed off a third and then pretend it's an actual footy ground.

Five less meters of width and length won't kill Hok ball, assuming that we do get to the SCG.

Port are not going to roll over like they did against Geelong. They'll come to play, you can't get the bake they've had on repeat and not eventually wind up with smoke coming out your ears.
This. It's the entry into 50 which will kill us if we get through this week.
Slightly congested ground players can get trapped into thinking they have to find an option inside 50, when the best option is a shot at goal.

Vs geelong we need to run through them. That's the same as every team. Cats love a game where it's kicked long. Even vs port, port were in control by running it. Then started bombing long and that's when the cats took control.

We have a decent record at the SCG compared to ENGIE/Skoda/Homebush showgrounds. Showgrounds has never been conducive for Hawthorn, whereas at the SCG we've always been able to use the width as it isn't too dissimilar to the MCG.
Venue: Length x Width (Ratio)
SCG: 149m x 136m (1.096)
MCG: 160m x 141m (1.135)
UTAS: 175m x 145m (1.207)*
Marvel: 159m x 129m (1.232)
ENGIE: 164m x 127m (1.291)
GMHBA: 170m x 114m (1.491)

*AFL website had much smaller dimensions listed so guessing an error or outdated data.

AFL website has SCG playing surface as 149 x 136

…and MCG as 160 x 141
Finding a lot more sources now that have the SCG length as 155/156m. Which puts the boundary ratio pretty much the same as the MCG now.

Regardless of the ground, I think we go next man up once again this week and our next fullback in line is Phillips.

He plays the position, and plays it very well for Box Hill. Like any fullback he doesn’t get the stats as the roaming interceptors do, but our mantra is next man up so he’s the man.

Serong has played great footy and I could understand his selection, but he’s not played as fullback all year.

CJ is a chance to come in too. Finn did nothing wrong, but he’s playing in CJ’s best position. It would be unpopular on here for some reason.

Rinse and repeat of our last game really. Work work work work work..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL website has SCG playing surface as 149 x 136

…and MCG as 160 x 141
Man this is getting confusing. :laughv1: Have a feeling the larger numbers getting quoted are fence to fence, not actual playing surface.

I'm finding MCG being quoted as:

174 x 149
171 x 146
172 x 147

So 160 x 141 I would assume be the actual playing surface.

it's not Sicily, Meek, Newcombe, Scrimma or Moore.
I love Frosty, but his absence, this week at least, isn't going to determine the outcome of the match, and it seems Sportsbet agrees.
whoever comes in, our best case scenario is that he settles into the back six and is comfortable down there come GF day.
I know whoever comes aginst us from next week onwards (when we get through this week comfortably) doesn't matter. We have all of them covered. While Frost is a big loss we have our game structured superbly in the center and forward so small hiccup in defence will not matter much.
Relax people and have confidence in Sam and the coaching staff.

Adelaide Oval suits us. I reckon we match up very well against Port. They look tired and scared of stuffing up, our boys are just going out there and enjoying playing great footy.

Phillips is the like-for-like, it would make sense for him to come in. It makes sense to make the call early as well and the people saying he's in are people who don't just throw out guesses.
Some good changes from rd 10

Out Cj , mitchell , frost , mackenzie , day amd one of phillips or serong.

In scrim , sic , ward , finn , gunston , morrison

Im pretty confident in the boys. Look what happened rd 10 with these outs

Also at ENGIE the crowd is a million miles away from the play, it all just feels very foreign and weird, I think the SCG has a bit more familiarity, and a far greater sense of theatre and occasion which we thrive off.

I much prefer a potential Sydney @ SCG than Giants @ Engie, and for them to make it through to a prelim somewhat unconvincingly and needing heroic efforts from Heeney and Warner makes me feel even better.

Still need to get through Port, but Houston and Farrel are monumental outs for them, and Butters despite being gutsy is clearly struggling out there. Their best is great (not long ago they did despicable things to the Swans), but they just don't have the cattle nor the game style to make it work. Dare I say we are doing them a favour if this ends Ken.

Rioli to the eye looks out of shape, and Dixon is slow as treacle...both are going to have to chase a lot, or the lack of pressure is going to burn them if they're still playing the high press. Be physical with Rozee, be prepared for a McEntee tag on Sicily (not super scary but be prepared), and I think Drew will go to Newcombe so we may need to get a bit creative there to help Jai out.

Aside from that, I've seen enough from this team, I am all in on us winning the flag, just feels like it's written in the stars.

Bruest was pretty ineffectual as a sub v Bulldogs. My feeling is that the sub needs to be someone that can come on and add run and fresh legs a bit like Breadan Campbell did for the swans on the weekend. He basically won them the game. I would much rather have ward or Mackenzie as the sub so we can inject them into the midfield to make an impact if needed.

Having a small forward as your sub is completely useless if you’re trying to protect a lead.
Couldn't agree with you anymore.

I watched the last Box Hill game and Phillips wasn't particularly impressive.
I don't feel like his performance in one senior game several months ago makes him a walk up this week.
The appeal is his height over Serong but Serong is the better performed defender.
jai is only 1cm shorter than Frosty.
How many goals did Phillips get kicked on him?

Serong might be the best option, but remember. The role we need isn't to look impressive, its to lock down on the number 1 key forward. Serong provides great intercept and kicking off the backline but how does he actually defend?

For what it's worth, I think Sicily is at his absolute best when he's actually taking a taller key forward as instead of teams trying to avoid him going forward they have to kick to their tall target and he often embarrasses them. But it's only certain matchups that works on, it wouldn't work on Hogan but on Esava it certainly would.

Memory is not trustful.
The AFL literally admitted it was a mistake. They had an extra 19 seconds that they should not have received. They scored the last goal inside that 19 seconds.

Bruest was pretty ineffectual as a sub v Bulldogs. My feeling is that the sub needs to be someone that can come on and add run and fresh legs a bit like Breadan Campbell did for the swans on the weekend. He basically won them the game. I would much rather have ward or Mackenzie as the sub so we can inject them into the midfield to make an impact if needed.

Having a small forward as your sub is completely useless if you’re trying to protect a lead.
Kicking goals = impact

Port will be fired up by their insipid performance and the media in Adelaide reminding them of their poor performances in finals, I'm expecting them to play really good footy to prove the doubters wrong, our motivation isn't as strong, we have to make up for us going full ret..... defensive in the last quarter last time we played which gave Port the W.

We need to be switched on and get the game on our terms until the end

DANGER GAME.
Every time someone posts "DANGER GAME" in a match preview thread i get more confident we'll win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back