2024 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 7 - Alix Tauru

I thought long and hard about whether I should make another trade play, or be cute and make a different choice but this pick makes too much sense.

North needs key position depth, they need marking power and they need raw talent.

Taurus brings all that. An athletic and powerful key position player, who can dominate at both ends, he didn't play as much football as you'd like this year, but when he did it was great.

It's a ceiling selection, and I am a bit cautious about key prospects in the top 10, as the bust potential is real, but Tauru is worth the risk.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pick 9 - Josh SMILLIE
Best available here, also players of his size and skillset are still relatively rare, and has leadership in spades

Pick 10 - Xavier LYNDSAY
Having taken the big bodied clearance mid going for a POD and some balance. Good mix of speed and endurance, ball use and versatility. Also has leadership credentials and a Saints supporter.

Edit: was close to picking Reid but just liked the balance of Smillie, Steele, Sinclair, Pou, Wilson and Lyndsay a little more

Blugazi

Last edited:
Melbourne select Murphy Reid with Pick 11. Would've loved Smillie or Tauru to slide here, as a young big bodied mid and a key defender are probably the main needs for the Dees. The Dees are low key putting together a talented young list: add O'Sullivan and Reid to Van Rooyen, Jefferson, Windsor, Rivers and Petty; with Oliver, Petracca and Lever still with a few more quality years left.

Essendon Matches.

Pick 12 - Isaac Kako - Height 175cm - Small Forward

Essendon should buy some loto tickets, because they have lucked out here.

Next Generation Academy (NGA) Isaac Kako, is one of the most exciting small forward prospects in this years draft with clean ball skills by foot, along with elite speed, acceleration, and x-factor.

Last edited:
Pick 13: RICHMOND - Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo Pioneers - 187cm - Midfielder/Defender
Having spent my first two picks on inside mids, turning attention to the outside. Classy on wing or back flank, plenty of speed, will run all day. Travaglia suits needs perfectly, and is great value at pick 13.

Pick 14: RICHMOND - Taj Hotton - Sandringham Dragons - 182cm - Forward/Midfielder
Coming off an ACL, will likely take his time to work into the system. But prior to the injury, was looking like he could be anything. Will be hoping he can live up to that promise, and could prove to be the bargain of the draft. Athletic, dynamic, excellent overhead, can hit the scoreboard.

Also considered - Bo Allan. Close call, but favoured the local.

Next up TerryWallet and West Coast for pick 15.

TENACIOUS

Pick 15: West Coast - Joe Berry - Murray Bushies - 180cm - Small Forward/Mid

Very happy to take Joe here. He was the last player of the top ilk that was left on my list. Really classy player and is deceptively strong and powerful in the legs and hips, making him a beautifully long powerful kick and also a very strong tackler.

Small forwards who can kick 50 metre goals are very rare(as we well know). Being able to, gives you an extra avenue to goal. Think Papley. That extra avenue allows you to be a consistent goalscorer, which Berry is. He also has a right peg that he can use, unlike most lefties. He is ever dangerous around goals and also is a diligent worker up and down the ground. He can also play as a mid in spurts, which also adds to his arsenal.

All in all, he exudes AFL talent and happy to take him if i'm WC.

Pablito for Kenny's Boys is up next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also hope everything is okay

Cheers - Yes mate. All good. Done a lamb shank. Needs a little clean out. Might get a shear while I’m under. Thanks for selecting my boy. Now for the math. Hopefully TENACIOUS has worked it out. I’ve got NFI.

Pick 17 - Fremantle
Bo Allan

Was holding out for one of Hotton or Berry at this pick to fill a small forward need but with Bolton coming in the Docker's are fairly set in all positions of the ground. An upgrade to their utility types like Aish and Banfield is the only thing I see as a genuine need, and Bo Allan fits that bill magnificently. Tall, powerful and a lovely kick, he can play anywhere from half back, wing, on ball or even up forward as a 3rd tall type. Has some real explosive power about him which will help add some much needed dare to the Docker's relatively vanilla team set up.

bradfisher14 ur up next

Sos move - Saints bid on Lombard

TENACIOUS can you please do the sums
Pick 8 - Leo Lombard - Midfielder/ Forward - Height: 179cm

Gold Coast Suns Academy player is An explosive, hard-nosed, and relentless ball winner capable of running in waves and rolling forward to hit the scoreboard.

Lombards father is an UFC legend, which has rubbed of on Leo, Leo isn’t afraid to put his head over the ball and tackles with intent.

Last edited:
Pick 18: GWS - Cooper Hynes - Dandenong Stingrays - Midfielder/Forward

Few can compete with the pure weight of numbers Hynes has produced at Coates Talent League level, forming a formidable one-two punch with fellow Dandenong Stingrays co-captain Harvey Langford. The midfielder-forward was blooded in the Vic Country Under 18s side last year and has backed up his promise with averages of 25.3 disposals, 4.0 marks, 5.0 inside 50s, and nearly two goals per his 12 club appearances to date. He’s hard to tie down due to his size but has improved his running ability and has always had a good eye for goal, or teammates in better positions to score.

Pick 19: GWS - Oli Hannaford - GWV Rebels - Forward/Midfielder

Hannaford has stormed into top 30 calculations on the back of his outstanding late-season form. Having been overlooked for a National Draft Combine invite, instead attending the Victorian state event, he has proven to be up to higher honours with some of the best big-time performances of any draft prospect. The powerful utility started the year as a midfielder/defender, but was thrust forward ahead of the National Championships and ended up being a game-winner there as GWV made a run for the Coates Talent League Grand Final. He’s powerful, hits hard, and has a ravenous appetite for the contest.

~~~

From the recruiter (me):

GWS' list is pretty stacked for talent across every line, so I went with who I see as the best available talents. It just so happens that the two players in question fit the "need" of talent "between the arcs" for GWS, having lost the likes of Peatling and Cumming this offseason. I see Hynes as a perfect complement to the Giants fleet footed midfield alongside Tom Green long term. In the short term I think he'll be great as a game breaking half-forward. Hannaford can play across any line, so he'll be given time to find his best position, but I see him as an ideal replacement for what Peatling gave them last season.

Coona Blues you're up mate :)

OK. Western Bulldogs greatest need is to acquire generation next in the centre square, very few genuine coalface mids still there in this part of the draft. The two hybrids I have been considering just were taken by GWS.

Genuine bid for the best midfielder (that isn’t Ben Camporeale) in the draft Sam Marshall Sheephead, do you, con you match?

If the consensus is to move on assuming Brisbane match Marshall, with pick 20, I will move on to the quality role players who are not KPP in this range.

With Ed Richards moving to the middle and Taylor Duryea already 33, but clocking up 22 games despite being moved to the rookie list, there is a secondary need to upgrade defensive rebound.

Pick 21 - Western Bulldogs - HARRISON OLIVER. Sandringham Dragons 182cm 15/06/2006 Defender

"One of the most well regarded ball users in the draft. boasting a wand-like left foot and the ticker to take gutsy overhead marks" quote from Michael Alvaro

Loved him from my first watch at the championships. Love a leftie and he can be absolutely surgical with his disposal. Absolutely screams a Beveridge player. Has the scope to play higher up the ground, but has drawn comparisons with Luke Hodge on game style. High praise indeed.

Every team needs silky distribution exiting the back half.

Would prefer a coal face mid, but the remaining midfield types in this part of the draft are more hybrid types. I considered, but dismissed Dattoli here due to lacking a yard of pace and not having enough defensive "form". There is the room for a pressure forward at the kennel, but a manic worker to complement the talls and Weightman is more the type. It is the range for key position players and the 'dogs are overendowed in this area. It could be argued a developing young KPD may become a need with the ages of Jones and Lobb, but they already have some developing albeit some are speculative types. WA lad Hamish Davis has drawn Fyfe comparisons, but I cant see it, he is forward first, and with the dogs having a three or four prong tall forward line, dont see the need for a 190(+) third tall type.

if we are moving on Blue and Silver, you are next.

Pick 22 - Jobe Shanahan

I have been hoping on this pick for a long while.

Jobe is a strong marking, goal-kicking, mobile key forward. He gets up and back and presents problems to defenders.

Better yet he can play in the backline and has good form against men in the VFL, fronting up for Essendon.

While I think Harry Armstrong is probably the better prospect altogether, Shanahan should fit in better next to Larkey in a few seasons.

Picking for North has been to me about filling in the developing key position void, and taking two quality talks here should go a long way to shoring up their future

Pick 22 - Jobe Shanahan

I have been hoping on this pick for a long while.

Jobe is a strong marking, goal-kicking, mobile key forward. He gets up and back and presents problems to defenders.

Better yet he can play in the backline and has good form against men in the VFL, fronting up for Essendon.

While I think Harry Armstrong is probably the better prospect altogether, Shanahan should fit in better next to Larkey in a few seasons.

Picking for North has been to me about filling in the developing key position void, and taking two quality talks here should go a long way to shoring up their future

Shanahan is my favourite key forward in this draft. There are a couple who could go either way, in that they could be stars or busts, but I see Shanahan as a failsafe with a very high ceiling.

Absolutely for North, he would be a great foil for Larkey and young Duursma, with the robust Zurhaar further complementing the mix while the youngsters develop.

Great pick for North IMO.

If the consensus is to move on assuming Brisbane match Marshall, with pick 20, I will move on to the quality role players who are not KPP in this range.

With Ed Richards moving to the middle and Taylor Duryea already 33, but clocking up 22 games despite being moved to the rookie list, there is a secondary need to upgrade defensive rebound.

Pick 21 - Western Bulldogs - HARRISON OLIVER. Sandringham Dragons 182cm 15/06/2006 Defender

"One of the most well regarded ball users in the draft. boasting a wand-like left foot and the ticker to take gutsy overhead marks" quote from Michael Alvaro

Loved him from my first watch at the championships. Love a leftie and he can be absolutely surgical with his disposal. Absolutely screams a Beveridge player. Has the scope to play higher up the ground, but has drawn comparisons with Luke Hodge on game style. High praise indeed.

Every team needs silky distribution exiting the back half.

Would prefer a coal face mid, but the remaining midfield types in this part of the draft are more hybrid types. I considered, but dismissed Dattoli here due to lacking a yard of pace and not having enough defensive "form". There is the room for a pressure forward at the kennel, but a manic worker to complement the talls and Weightman is more the type. It is the range for key position players and the 'dogs are overendowed in this area. It could be argued a developing young KPD may become a need with the ages of Jones and Lobb, but they already have some developing albeit some are speculative types. WA lad Hamish Davis has drawn Fyfe comparisons, but I cant see it, he is forward first, and with the dogs having a three or four prong tall forward line, dont see the need for a 190(+) third tall type.

if we are moving on Blue and Silver, you are next.
I was gonna take him instead of Hynes but I thought he’d slide through to my next pick :(

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back