List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

PicksClubsResult
14-10-24 - Pick TradeMelbourne & EssendonMelbourne receives Essendon's R1 (9), 2025 R3 Pick
Essendon receives Melbourne's 2025 F1, 2024 R2 (28,40), R3(46,54), R4 (65) Picks
14-10-24 - Pick TradeMelbourne & AdelaideAdelaide receives Melbourne's 2025 3R Pick
Melbourne receives Adelaide's 2024 3R(46) Pick
11-10-24 - Pick TradeBrisbane & RichmondRichmond receives Brisbane's 1R Pick (pick 20)
Brisbane receives Richmond's 2R (32,42), 3R (43,45) Picks
11-10-24 - Pick TradeCarlton & BrisbaneCarlton receives Brisbane's R4 (73), 2025 R2 Pick
Brisbane receives Carlton's R2(34), R4(66)
11-10-24 - Pick TradeCarlton & HawthornCarlton receives Hawthorn's R1(14) pick
Hawthorn receives Carlton's 2025 R1, R2 (tied to Carlton) picks

PlayerOriginal ClubTrade/FANew ClubResult
Isaac CummingGWSUFAAdelaideEnd of Round 1 Compo (pick 21) to GWS
Josh BattleSt KildaUFAHawthornRound 1 Compo (Pick 8) to St.Kilda
Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Melbourne trade its two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 28 and 40), two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 46 and 54), its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 65) and its 2025 Round 1 selection to Essendon.
Essendon trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 9) and its 2025 Round 3 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively to Melbourne.
---------
Melbourne trade its 2025 Round 3 selection to the Adelaide Crows for its 2024 Round 3 selection (currently 46) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Brisbane trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 20) to Richmond for two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 32 and 42) and two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 43 and 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
---------
Carlton trade its 2024 Round 2 selection (currently 34) and 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 66) to Brisbane for its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 73) and 2025 Round 2 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Carlton trade its 2025 Round 1 selection and 2025 Round 2 selection (tied to Carlton) to Hawthorn for its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 14) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.

Last edited:

Dees have 5 and 9 right?

Wonder if they want to trade up to 2. (Obvs not both)

They certainly need blue chip mids coming through with Trac and Oliver so wobbly
A lot of clubs seem to be jizzing themselves to get a top 2/3 pick to bring in FOS or Lalor

Blues were trying to get eagles pick 3
Tigers will come for pick 2

Dees will too I reckon

Love the optimism, but I think our list is still a year short for finals. eg. Pacy, defensively accountable small forwards are so important in modern footy, and we don't have a proven one on the whole list.

It feels like our forward 50 pressure in 2025 will depends an inordinate amount on Payne and/or RHJ making it.
Yeah 10 is definitely the most rosy-eyed, optimistic of predictions tbf. I absolutely think 6-8 is doable though. I'm a bit more optimistic than most I think. I really liked what we saw 2nd half of the year, other than the last couple if weeks obvs

Last edited:
He is one player. Why do people simplistically think that the addition of one player, no matter how good they are, magically solves the numerous issues this list has?
We need top end talent in key posts, yet everyone wants to blow the budget on adding another flanker. Yes a very good flanker, but I would have thought with the list holes we have, their are more pressing needs.

Houston isn’t peak Carey. He isn’t going to magically make this side one that will push up the ladder.

People forget he was playing in a very settled side that is well structured in the back half. Put him in our shitshow and I would be staggered if he is considered for AA next year.

It’s 100% a sugar hit.

I would rather the club use those top end picks to start filling the gaping holes we have with key position players and this years draft looks like there are some great value options.

Won't be a popular opinion but our key position stocks aren't that bad now, especially once we get Tauru or Armstrong.

Corr didn't get beaten often this year, Logue is good when he's on the park, Chom can swing for need, Larkey is a star, Darling a stop-gap for a year or two.

Dawson x2, Pink, Maley, Teak, CJ developing or depth.

We got torched by small forwards more than talls, largely due to lack of experience and fitness leading to an inability structure up in defence. Houston helps all of that immediately.

Last edited:
Didn't Houston withdraw his trade request to the dees due to them being a shitshow?

Yeah, I'd be surprised if any of the stuff that has happened at Melbourne since then has changed his mind on that. If anything they found more egg to rub in their faces.

In three years time, Dan Houston will be 30. A year younger than Lachie Neale and Toby Greene this year. Larkey, Logue and Zurhaar will be 29, LDU and Xerri 28, Scott 27, Comben 26, Powell 25, Curtis and Archer 24, Sheezel and Wardlaw 23, McKercher and Duursma 22, our top pick(s) from this year 21.

Bringing in high-quality players who are in the 26-28 range now will quicken our move into the finals window and actually ensure we get there. Houston is one of the best in the comp in a role that is crucial for the style Clarko wants to play.

Yes giving away a high draft pick has an element of risk, but so does the draft overall. Houston was rookie draft #45 in 2015. If that national draft was taken again he'd be top 10. Port were a winner of that draft lottery, we can benefit from that now.

Long-term future talent isn't our issue because as Sheezel and Wardlaw mature, players are going to want to come and play with them provided the team has improved. Current and near-term talent is the issue we need to address to get out of this hole and ensure improvement happens.
Is finals the end goal or winning number 5 (and hopefully more). I haven't gone through the last 5 years just to make finals again.

Didn't Houston withdraw his trade request to the dees due to them being a shitshow?
Maybe ... or it was cos the players he thought he was playing with were thought to be leaving.

They don't seem as much of a shit show this trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of clubs seem to be jizzing themselves to get a top 2/3 pick to bring in FOS or Lalor

Blues were trying to get eagles pick 3
Tigers will come for pick 2

Dees will too I reckon
Q for everyone - I’m not across it - but aside from draft night, is the next 48 hours the only time draft picks can be traded?

Is finals the end goal or winning number 5 (and hopefully more). I haven't gone through the last 5 years just to make finals again.
Fair call, but IMO we have most of the core players who would be in a potential GF team. Right now, the quicker we improve onfield then the more likely we are to not only retain these players, but just as importantly, also the quicker to being an attractive destination for players. Want blokes like Houston to outright nominate us instead of us being their backup plan? We need solid improvement. We already fumbled the rebuild so much that we basically had to recruit an extra generation of players, if we don't get points on the board soon then by the time we start contending we'll also have to start looking at finding replacements for the handful of mid 20's blokes who aren't shit, while also trying to round out a premiership contending list.

Its a balancing act for sure. List management and the football department have it tough. Invest in the short and medium term in the hope that it snowballs into longterm improvement? Or continue the longterm investment and hope it doesn't stumble because there's not enough short and medium term improvement.

Prepared to play fair for Caleb ****ing Daniel. A fringe player from a mid tier top 8 side.

**** me. Grow a set and be prepared to walk away rather than overpay.

They have a list better than mid 8 tier prob one of the best in the league. Bevo just doesn't appear to get the best out of them

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fair call, but IMO we have most of the core players who would be in a potential GF team. Right now, the quicker we improve onfield then the more likely we are to not only retain these players, but just as importantly, also the quicker to being an attractive destination for players. Want blokes like Houston to outright nominate us instead of us being their backup plan? We need solid improvement. We already fumbled the rebuild so much that we basically had to recruit an extra generation of players, if we don't get points on the board soon then by the time we start contending we'll also have to start looking at finding replacements for the handful of mid 20's blokes who aren't shit, while also trying to round out a premiership contending list.

Its a balancing act for sure. List management and the football department have it tough. Invest in the short and medium term in the hope that it snowballs into longterm improvement? Or continue the longterm investment and hope it doesn't stumble because there's not enough short and medium term improvement.
Agree that we have a great young core. One of the best in the comp.

Next year's first could be the difference in making a GF or not, winning or losing one, or winning multiple ones.

Gotta be the most unnecessarily drawn out trade negotiation.

North: How about a 4th rounder?

Swans: No, how about a 2nd rounder?

North: No, how about we meet in the middle with a 3rd rounder?

Swans: Ok.

Was always going to be that, could have been done Monday. Of last week.

Yes pathetic but that's why happens when the period is so long. If it was 3 days we would have gone in with 44 and would have been done in the first hour

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

After the Melbourne trade, * will have two decent second rounders they don't need for points 28 & 31 and will probably turn into future picks. They are either going to have a great hand next year or try and get back into this draft after the Kako bid.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back