Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (67) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Last edited:

You would hope. Hopefully the time is trying to come up with a trade which won't be easy when dogs still claim he is wanted

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Wanted is just Recruitment Manager speak for give me over the market value.

Half of these deals will get pushed through on the last day based both sides playing a stupid game of chicken instead of just trying to do common sense deals.

I’m not sure the definition of wanted is 7 games in the VFL and 8 games as AFL sub (or whatever it was) as a 27 year old. Sounds more like a player you keep around for depth.

This notion that every player we recruit has to 'move the needle' is laughably childish and simplistic and frankly a sign of someone who just doesn't understand football.

It completely misses the point and lacks of the context of where we're at as a club. It's moreso about evening our age profile, adding some experience, and surrounding our prodigious talent with maturity, not just in body but in mind too.

Is the fisher half back experiment a forgone failure?

Surely they are not planning to have a back six consisting of both fisher and Caleb?

God have mercy on us.
It absolutely has to be over. Playing Fisher and Daniel in the same back 6 would be insanity. Unfortunately it probably is still a chance to be trialled at stages.

Make no mistake the Fisher acquisition has been a disaster. Rival clubs were left scratching their head when they saw us target him. On-field stuff aside for a second, purely from an off-field perspective he is not a professional influence on the young players.

I like Caleb Daniel and I have no issue giving him 4 years.

Versatile, excellent skills, great endurance base and was in the leadership group at the Bulldogs. He'll allow Mckercher to move further up the ground. He's won a premiership, been in another Grand Final and generally part of a contending team over his career.

I think he can be more direct with his ball use and that's more a matter of role and instruction.

Are there negatives? Yeah sure; he's going to struggle to defend due to his height, but modern-day footy tries to limit the amount of times your defenders actually need to defend 1-out and so he'll get plenty of help. Every team has back flankers who are less accountable with teams banking on their offensive value outweighing their defensive slackness (mostly due to role and not necessarily effort).
Finally a voice of reason

His ability to make sure we actually keep possession helps our transition game too in both phases. Yes, he has individual defensive deficiencies, but they're outweighed by the positives

It absolutely has to be over. Playing Fisher and Daniel in the same back 6 would be insanity. Unfortunately it probably is still a chance to be trialled at stages.

Make no mistake the Fisher acquisition has been a disaster. Rival clubs were left scratching their head when they saw us target him. On-field stuff aside for a second, purely from an off-field perspective he is not a professional influence on the young players.
Are you Sphynx in disguise? That entire second paragraph is hyperbolic garbage

I dont have an issue with giving long deals to get players across. I have an issue with doing it for someone like Daniel who is the opposite to how the league is going in terms of half back, just for the sake of experience.
The club is an unenviable position when it comes to player movement. The only deals we hear about and get to be critical of are the players who might have a mutual interest in coming to the club.

It's a player driven market, and players who might "move the needle" for a lot of BigFooty posters do not want to play for North, it's a simple as that. Darcy McPherson preferred to stay at Gold Coast and get delisted than coming to play for North on a 3 year contract. If every footy club in Melbourne was in for Dan Houston we'd be at the bottom of the list in terms of his preferences perhaps alongside a couple of others.So when assessing a deal, its absolutely important to assess the viability of a player and their fit for the football club, but then ask yourself if not Caleb Daniel than who/what? I mean are we convinced that Zac Fisher and Dylan Stephens were our first choice with what we wanted to do with our priority picks last year, or were they simply the only ones interested in coming.

Its important to acknowledge that we would have had conversations with dozens of players this year in an attempt to try and improve our list and add experience, and Alistair Clarkson mentioned this in an interview earlier last month. For all we know Caleb Daniel could have been 4th or 5th on our depth chart in terms of half backs we've been looking at, which might be why news of our interest has only emerged in the last few weeks.

I think there is a case to be made that we could have found a better fit than darling for his role, but overall its a extremely low risk, low cost move and he comes with a good CV despite declining athleticism. With Daniel, he might just be the best of whats available, and I think a lot of posters sometimes just fail to take this factor into consideration. We aren't jeopardising our draft hand through player acquisitions of this type, and ultimately if players like Darling, Daniel and Parker are depth players at North in 18 months time, we will have improved significantly as a footy club.

To be fair we have had a fair upgrade in the bloke making that choice since that draft.

For your sake, hope you aren’t overvaluing pick 2 in this draft. Split - get low enough to take Tauru and something else in the top 15 and call it a win. One of my best mates is diehard north. Depressing watching him in football season of late.

At least we can watch replays of our 4 flags in colour while we wait to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like Caleb Daniel and I have no issue giving him 4 years.

Versatile, excellent skills, great endurance base and was in the leadership group at the Bulldogs. He'll allow Mckercher to move further up the ground. He's won a premiership, been in another Grand Final and generally part of a contending team over his career.

I think he can be more direct with his ball use and that's more a matter of role and instruction.

Are there negatives? Yeah sure; he's going to struggle to defend due to his height, but modern-day footy tries to limit the amount of times your defenders actually need to defend 1-out and so he'll get plenty of help. Every team has back flankers who are less accountable with teams banking on their offensive value outweighing their defensive slackness (mostly due to role and not necessarily effort).
Adam Driver Soup GIF by VON GRAMBUSCH

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can people stop losing their shit over third round + trades. Yes, they are low probability trades and will most likely not make it, the same goes for third round plus draftees.

You would like to hope that we would have had better success at turning some of them into reasonable footballers than we have, but it is what it is. As long as we are not compromising our ability to keep bringing in talent via the draft then you just have to keep rolling the dice with the more speculative picks.

Can people stop losing their shit over third round + trades. Yes, they are low probability trades and will most likely not make it, the same goes for third round plus draftees.

You would like to hope that we would have had better success at turning some of them into reasonable footballers than we have, but it is what it is. As long as we are not compromising our ability to keep bringing in talent via the draft then you just have to keep rolling the dice with the more speculative picks.
I don’t trust Rawlings to stay at third round level picks.

If we’re offering Daniel 4 years, he’ll get beaten into giving up something of consequence.

Seems like a good time to put up the list of the 16 players we have traded in or recycled from other clubs in the last four years.

Atu Bosenavulagi, Jaidyn Stephenson, Lachie Young, Aidan Corr, Connor Menadue, Callum Coleman-Jones, Hugh Greenwood, Tom Lynch, Griffen Logue, Darcy Tucker, Liam Shiels, Zac Fisher, Bigoa Nyuon, Dylan Stephens, Toby Pink, Brynn Teakle
I'm perplexed how you forgot Dan Howe. :stern look

Make it 17 with 8 already gone. :stern look

D-day looms for Caleb Daniel

Western Bulldogs defender Caleb Daniel could decide as early as today whether he wants to pursue a four-year deal with the Kangaroos or see out his contract at the club where he has won a premiership and a best and fairest.

There is no deadline on his decision, but both clubs are expecting him to make a call soon. One of the aspects Daniel will be weighing up is whether a deal can get done as well as whether he believes he can regain a permanent spot with the Bulldogs having played VFL and as a sub in 2024.

The Bulldogs are already in negotiations with Geelong over Bailey Smith and will sit down with St Kilda to discuss a deal over Jack Macrae.

Ok say Daniel decides to play with the NMFC for 4 years .
So you look at the back 6 for Round 1 in 2025.
Backline
Corr Louge Archer
Half Backline
Daniel Comben ?
Which mean there’s 1 position available in the Backline available
McDonald
Fisher
Goater
Hardenham
Bergman
With that you don’t have to be Einstein to workout McDonald will get the gig as he will voted in as Captain again and Clarkson will frightened to drop the Captain.
Fisher will be a bench player then once on the field will play as a Half Forward
As for other 3 players who won’t be given the opportunity to play AFL I feel sorry for them.
Goater might be a player that will start in the VFL and stay there
Hardenham A nice guy if not given a go will want to go back to WA
Bergman similar to Goater

You're underrating fisher. He was mostly good this year, especially 2nd half of the season, and will be better next year as the team gets better

Also Daniel wouldn't be Fringe if bevo wasn't a ****ing moron. What he's doing to that list is criminal. That's why he could be available and there's great value to be had for a player of his talent

I've been a supporter of Fisher, I don't mind him, particularly when he uses his first option. Despite that, he is a terrible one on one defender and I think we overpaid for him.

Daniel doesn't have any other suitors other than us and there is a multitude of reasons why that's the case. He lacks meters gained and he can't defend. Isn't damaging enough to be a winger, isn't quick enough to be a small forward.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind him as a player, he is a reliable kick, he can find the footy and by all accounts is a fantastic person.

I just don't see the point of bringing him in (especially if it costs us a pick inside the top 40) when our biggest issue in the defensive half is actual defending.

Ok say Daniel decides to play with the NMFC for 4 years .
So you look at the back 6 for Round 1 in 2025.
Backline
Corr Louge Archer
Half Backline
Daniel Comben ?
Which mean there’s 1 position available in the Backline available
McDonald
Fisher
Goater
Hardenham
Bergman
With that you don’t have to be Einstein to workout McDonald will get the gig as he will voted in as Captain again and Clarkson will frightened to drop the Captain.
Fisher will be a bench player then once on the field will play as a Half Forward
As for other 3 players who won’t be given the opportunity to play AFL I feel sorry for them.
Goater might be a player that will start in the VFL and stay there
Hardenham A nice guy if not given a go will want to go back to WA
Bergman similar to Goater
Not this shit again.

Your schtick is getting very old.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back