List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think I'm as firmly convinced on the rules around FA compo as others seem to be. Melbourne lose Frawley at a time when they were a basket case, top 3 pick. Same with Gold Coast and Lynch. Then we benefit from it with a bloke whose value definitely doesn't correspond with the compensation. Meanwhile, Buddy, a better player than all those three combined, warrants 'band 1' compo at pick 19, departing from a team coming off a flag. Pretty obvious to me that different levers are pulled at AFL house depending on the on-field fortunes of the team involved.

Even in a world where a team does pay Zurhaar 800k or whatever the threshold was, I still cannot for the life of me see the league giving that the tick of approval with the McKay stuff also going on. No way in hell. For the shit teams, it's used as a poor man's priority pick ala the old 2000s system, and the thought of grovelling for more than one of them nauseates me a bit
Well the reason Hawks got that was because Buddy was unrestricted and they won the flag, so the only pick was after 18.
It's pure age and contract value, now with the number of years taken into account, wasn't last year.
I'm just not convinced myself that there was much of a market chasing Cam. There has been no shortage of reports about Isaac Cumming and Perryman has been offered 800-850k from Port, Crows and Pies. I didn't see that reported with Cam.

I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one. He wasn’t a pick 8 for us, just a future 2nd, and this actually goes against your argument if you factor in the value loss for freo.

As you're entitled to. In saying that... Where would you rate Sheezel, LDU and Wardlaw, at North? If you want alternatives maybe Larkey and Xerri are outliers, but most of our good players are taken in the first few picks - why anyone would want to trade them for a HB Flanker closer to the end than the beginning for the sake of a few meaningless victories is beyond me.

I support North Melbourne, I couldn't care less about any other team or the competition. I want us to win the flag or preferably multiple flags, I don't watch any other games, I watch and care about us only. I lived O/S basically and missed the last 3 years so I understand I have more patience than some due to missing out on some shitness. I get it. But anyone who wants to win 8 games a year and be happy with that (because it's better than 2) can FRO. It isn't the EPL - we don't get more money for finishing top of the bottom half of the table.

Agree in principle. Max pick is band 2 based on contract details etc

However, special application can be made to bump it up to band 1 based on best and fairests, Brownlow votes etc.

Imagine ldu did leave and we got band 2
Yeah I think that’s fair enough. Band 1 needs to be for players that are top 1-2 at any given club or top 5% across the AFL. Talking a top 50-100 player,m. The AFL can’t be giving Band 1 for role players like Perryman or even Battle, irrespective of how much a club wants to overpay them. That’s my opinion anyway.

They'll make that change when it's us offloading players worth something.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just like we are going to get shafted with F/S with Sam Harris and Aiden McCartney….we’ll end up having to pay top dollar while reigning premiers get Ashcroft x 2 at a cheap discount.

Absolute idiots continually claiming we had absolutely no chance at Band 1 for Zurhaar.

Remains the worst call in recent years not pushing him out for Pick 3

It was Collingwood as the interested party also…
Is this going to be one of those stupid things that people parrot for the next decade even though it's completely imaginary?

Some people just look for reasons to criticise the club.

Look, his response was as funny as you reminding us of Will Walker. Like, it’s ten times funnier if it was genuine just because how much it the pick confused us. Not just because we ****ed up, but because it was almost the beginning of our recruiting team thinking they could get cute with unsuspecting players, like they were Hawthorn and knew some hidden talent no one else unearthed. We thought it died down after Walker, although, Perez, Mahony and Goad has me doubtful.
Before Perez did his knee the second time he showed he could take intercept and contested marks, defend and compete, move well, kick 50m plus accurately and that he was tough as nails. If his knee had held up we wouldn't need to chase Houston.

It's such an AFL thing.

2023: McKay barely triggers band 1 - "With the changes to TPP it will be much harder to trigger band 1 compo for Free agents"
2024: 2 "okay" talls easily trigger band 1 with little discussion or questioning like their was the year previously.

The Father Son and Academy bids are irrelevant, those players will go to their respective clubs and we will still be selecting from the talent pool that we have access to. If 3 Father Son and Academy selections are made before our pick the same player we hope to pick at 25 will still be there at 28 it has no impact on us.

It's not an issue for the club recruiters who won't have those father-sons or academy kids in their sights or on their whiteboard. Where it does impact is when we supporters look at phantom drafts or rankings and think we might get a player ranked at 25 when all the father-sons and academy picks are listed within the first 25 on that same ranking chart. If the club that has access to them has managed to push their next pick outside 25 and ends up matching the bid with later picks, then we will end up with pick 30 so we should be looking at players ranked around 30 to see what we will most likely have to choose from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His ceiling will be when he can learn kick the ball off his right foot on a regular basis. Then opposition players wont know what to do..ATM they know he will always want to kick the ball with his left foot...
I think his ceiling is fending an opponent deep into the 2nd row. He would have to be in the top 3 hardest guys to tackle and get down in the game. Would love to see a bench off between PC and The Wardlord.

The other one that confused me was Jacob Edwards. I watched a lot of his schoolboy year as my wife taught him at Mentone Grammar but was always going to be too small to play ruck at AFL level and didn’t have the forward craft to be a key forward.. but the hype on him when you took him in the mid season draft had him as the next Dean Cox.
Edwards is taller than our current ruck, who just made the All Australian squad.

Dunno mate, maybe your wife is a terrible talent scout - exhibit A: she married you.

Clearly didn’t read my post, or took it completely out of contest. No one is more critical of our drafting than I.. FWIW I was filthy we took Dow when I wanted Stephenson.. turns out SOS and I both had no idea.. although like North atm I suspect a fair bit has to do with development within the club and can’t solely be placed on recruiting. My post was simply that I found it interesting.
Your post was fine mate - there are some sensitive souls on this board. Every team has its Will Walker story

Yeah I think that’s fair enough. Band 1 needs to be for players that are top 1-2 at any given club or top 5% across the AFL. Talking a top 50-100 player,m. The AFL can’t be giving Band 1 for role players like Perryman or even Battle, irrespective of how much a club wants to overpay them. That’s my opinion anyway.

Just like we are going to get shafted with F/S with Sam Harris and Aiden McCartney….we’ll end up having to pay top dollar while reigning premiers get Ashcroft x 2 at a cheap discount.
Then we didn’t deserve pick 3 for Magoo. There is no place on this planet Ben Mckay is worth pick 3 on a trade, none. Maybe a late first round pick, the bloke is a glorified paperweight. I’ll go out on a limb and say that the FA compo is one of the only mechanisms in this shitty corrupt organisation that benefits the clubs. Im okay with it.. are clubs going to use it, exploit it, loop hole it? Probably, in its essence I think its a fair model.

Me again sorry but have been stuck reading your board 😂 It has always baffled me why clubs at the bottom end of the ladder ignore the advantage of the PSD, IMO Clubs like North, WC & Rich should have been targeting the best uncontracted players and offering them life changing $ provided they walk to the pre season draft and can be acquired without losing a pick, however this is rarely used because clubs want to play nice..

Me again sorry but have been stuck reading your board 😂 It has always baffled me why clubs at the bottom end of the ladder ignore the advantage of the PSD, IMO Clubs like North, WC & Rich should have been targeting the best uncontracted players and offering them life changing $ provided they walk to the pre season draft and can be acquired without losing a pick, however this is rarely used because clubs want to play nice..
Only scumbag clubs walk players to the PSD.. kinda like what your mob did with Jack Martin. Frowned upon and disrespectful. Trading is mutual and professional, doing shit like that only burns bridges. You wouldn’t like it if bottom clubs started picking off your team players by doing that.

As you're entitled to. In saying that... Where would you rate Sheezel, LDU and Wardlaw, at North? If you want alternatives maybe Larkey and Xerri are outliers, but most of our good players are taken in the first few picks - why anyone would want to trade them for a HB Flanker closer to the end than the beginning for the sake of a few meaningless victories is beyond me.

I support North Melbourne, I couldn't care less about any other team or the competition. I want us to win the flag or preferably multiple flags, I don't watch any other games, I watch and care about us only. I lived O/S basically and missed the last 3 years so I understand I have more patience than some due to missing out on some shitness. I get it. But anyone who wants to win 8 games a year and be happy with that (because it's better than 2) can FRO. It isn't the EPL - we don't get more money for finishing top of the bottom half of the table.
Yes had 15 years of mid range shitness because of only getting pick 10+ of first round picks. The same chicken littles who spent time calling for us to bottom out now want to trade out pick 2 and pick 2-5 next year for a hbf and downgraded draft picks in that 10-20 range because it's a deep draft and we also get a Jeremy Cameron type forward with that pick based on watching couple of YouTube videos and feedback from an online 'draft expert" who in all likelihood is a 15yo Gen Z with no friends sitting at home in mummies

For those simpletons here are the options across the 2024/25 drafts

Pick 2 and Pick 2-5
Vs
Houston and a couple of picks from pick 8 -20

Anyone proposing the later hasn't watched us play for he last 40 years and / or / is a complete moron.

If the current collective group 'GROW THE **** UP' and start being men be proffesional they can achieve 8 wins without Housten.

Reckon we should have a crack at GWS footballer Josh Kelly.
That’s what I’ve been saying for the past two off-seasons!
If younger and talented guys are jumping ship, what the **** does this guy think he can do to help them anymore? Makes logical sense now to head over based on what he hasn’t been able to accomplish there and what he could do for the north side

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back