Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (67) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastTBC

Last edited:

Daniel is small. He is a nice neat kick but he ain’t a penetrating kick. He struggles one on one. I wouldn’t call him the fastest small dude around. He was in and out of the Dogs line up. Not the sort of player I’d be chasing. :stern look

Certainly not for four years.

Daniel is small. He is a nice neat kick but he ain’t a penetrating kick. He struggles one on one. I wouldn’t call him the fastest small dude around. He was in and out of the Dogs line up. Not the sort of player I’d be chasing. :stern look
It has ‘cluster****’ written all over it.

A bloke standing 5’6 who can’t defend in a side that leaks like a sieve in transition.

Phwoar.

I guess you gotta show you won't be a pushover at least publicly in your first time in the role.
Andrew Mackey was talking pretty similar stuff in his first year.
The problem is that everyone knows that it’s all for show or that you are just a campaigner.

A baller that can’t defend one on one and is the worst aerial defender in the league?

Big upgrade on Zac Fisher and he brings experience, it also frees up Sheez and Colby forward of the ball. I can see why we're going for him, Houston won't happen.

Remember the elite talents you picked up at 7 + 8 in the 2017 draft?

Imagine if you traded up for Brayshaw or LDU...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Oh dear, yes they would have been saying the same thing back in 2017, why trade up, when we can get TWO ELITE PLAYERS IN THIS DRAFT, the only problem with that, is you get two good players and hope they both work out, now if they had of traded up for REAL ELITE players, they could of had Brayshaw or LDU, I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but if St Kilda think they can get two elite midfielders at picks 7 and 8 then by all means try your luck, you may get one but highly doubtful you get two and it may not be the player you want.

So many times, teams with more than one first rounder try and play it safe instead of going all out for the real elite talent in a draft, if you want that star mid you've got the picks to make it happen, if you want two good players and hope one or both can get there then if years down the track they don't work out don't whinge about them if they don't make it because you had the chance again to grab that star midfielder that you guys crave for and went the same way!

A mechanism to get a useable pick, remember we got fisher and a pick in the 20s for a pick in the 20s we had to trade
We got Fisher and pick 17 (that turned into pick 22) for a pick that ended up as pick 29. So yeah, we got a seven pick upgrade that became Wil Dawson from taking Fisher on and he hasn't been that bad either. Just not great.

I want to say Daniel for 4 years is insanity BUT we literally only have a half dozen players with a contract for 2028. We also have a list still filled with subpar or questionable talent, which means a lot more list spots will open up over time. If Daniel helps improve us enough in the short term that we can become attractive enough to become a destination for even better players, then I'd probably cop having him spend the latter half of his contract in the VFL.

Food for thought.

I want to say Daniel for 4 years is insanity BUT we literally only have a half dozen players with a contract for 2028. We also have a list still filled with subpar or questionable talent, which means a lot more list spots will open up over time. If Daniel helps improve us enough in the short term that we can become attractive enough to become a destination for even better players, then I'd probably cop having him spend the latter half of his contract in the VFL.

Food for thought.
This was kinda my point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly you watched a different interview to what I watched. He was perfectly okay as far as I was concerned. Did you watch any other of the recruiters?

I watched a few others, they seemed okay to me. I didn't watch them all. I dislike speaking to an audience so I feel his pain. We don't have to put him in front of the camera though, Shiels is also working with that group, he speaks well, we can get him to do the interviews. We aren't doing Rawlings any favours if he is uncomfortable in front of the camera. There isn't really a requirement to do the speaking for a list management role so I don't know why we keep putting him through it. Anyway, it is just my opinion.

From what I saw, they were all pretty much on a par. None of them are paid to speak articulately and be the guest speaker at an Awards night or something. Rather they are paid to get the best possible recruiting outcomes for their clubs. (Whether or not they achieve that is a very different discussion.)

Many aspects of the job are hard to judge without the benefit of hindsight, it isn't an easy job and for the most part I think he has done okay given where the club is at, a few trades I am not so hot with but it is what it is.

Daniel is fringe in a side that only just made the 8. I’d be hoping we are pushing into the 8 within two years at which time you’d bloody hope we’ve upgraded 3 of our half backs who suck (McDonald, fisher and potentially Daniel)…if that’s the case then we are stuck with Daniel for another two years on ridiculous money.
Is the idea to have him as an onfield offensive play leader to teach? Because Luke McDonald aint it and Aiden Corr is far too aggressive to teach, campaigner just yells at everyone. We are looking for leadership, its obvious. We cant keep having 2 win seasons. Its a ****ing joke.

But Caleb Daniel tackled Max Gawn :thumbsupv1:

One of these players is in our team for no other reason than defensive intensity, the other is the flakey, can’t defend tiny-person Caleb Daniel IMG_3755.png

Coaches around the league and most of the data analysts don’t rate him and haven’t since his last AA year.

He’s absolutely a great kick.

But he doesn’t move the ball forward in any meaningful way.

He doesn’t break lines with the ball.

Majority of his possessions are chip kicks to stationary targets or he’s a stationary target himself.

Hoyne and CD have been critical of him for a long time.

It’s why the Dogs felt they needed to replace him.

I’d almost prefer to see him play further forward if we did recruit him.

It has to be for minimum chips though, he doesn’t move the needle in any way whatsoever. He’s basically Fisher 2.0

Food for thought.

Similar posts were said regarding Dylan Stephens last year.

Makes sense to just hang there on the outer in case it doesn’t work with the others.
It’s not like we’re after any other big names…..make our moves so the capital is there if we need to pull the trigger….if not then hit the draft

It's not like it's either or..... can't hit the draft for 6 weeks so you keep working on the trade and if it falls through it's a shame we gave it a go then you hit the draft

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s absolutely a great kick.

But he doesn’t move the ball forward in any meaningful way.

He doesn’t break lines with the ball.

Majority of his possessions are chip kicks to stationary targets or he’s a stationary target himself.
I would argue 25% of our list cannot be relied on to hit a stationary target. And perhaps 50% of our list cannot hit a target under pressure.

Sheezel was down back because we have no one. Fisher worked to some extent but he can still cause direct goal turnovers. If we’re not giving up much I can see how this improves us instantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back