Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (67) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastTBC

Last edited:

Offering someone an extended deal just to get them to come is how you end up with stupid contracts. The selling point for Daniel is that he'll be best 22 with us, not that he can extend his career

If we have to double his contract length to turn his head then he's not the type of player worth targeting
then he, and any player in his position, immediately says no. He was best 22 for them entering finals. So best 22 in a team anchored to the bottom 4 is not a selling point without at least a year more tham he currently has.

Offering someone an extended deal just to get them to come is how you end up with stupid contracts. The selling point for Daniel is that he'll be best 22 with us, not that he can extend his career

If we have to double his contract length to turn his head then he's not the type of player worth targeting

I think he would rate his chances of getting back into dogs 22 with Mac and Williams potentially leaving so not sure that's a big selling point needs more... hence longer deal, more money...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seems like a good time to put up the list of the 16 players we have traded in or recycled from other clubs in the last four years.

Atu Bosenavulagi, Jaidyn Stephenson, Lachie Young, Aidan Corr, Connor Menadue, Callum Coleman-Jones, Hugh Greenwood, Tom Lynch, Griffen Logue, Darcy Tucker, Liam Shiels, Zac Fisher, Bigoa Nyuon, Dylan Stephens, Toby Pink, Brynn Teakle

then he, and any player in his position, immediately says no. He was best 22 for them entering finals. So best 22 in a team anchored to the bottom 4 is not a selling point without at least a year more tham he currently has.

His spot in that Dogs team.moving forward is far from guaranteed. So yes, the selling point from.us should be that he'll be best 22, can help develop a young group and we'll pay him more. If he's not interested that's fine.

Giving him.an extra year would be just about palatable. Giving him an extra two when the best teams are employing quick and direct half backs would be stupid.

I think he would rate his chances of getting back into dogs 22 with Mac and Williams potentially leaving so not sure that's a big selling point needs more... hence longer deal, more money...

That's fine then. If it requires a four year deal to turn his head then we should leave it alone.

Seems like a good time to put up the list of the 16 players we have traded in or recycled from other clubs in the last four years.

Atu Bosenavulagi, Jaidyn Stephenson, Lachie Young, Aidan Corr, Connor Menadue, Callum Coleman-Jones, Hugh Greenwood, Tom Lynch, Griffen Logue, Darcy Tucker, Liam Shiels, Zac Fisher, Bigoa Nyuon, Dylan Stephens, Toby Pink, Brynn Teakle
Not that it’s a high bar but Daniel/Parker/darling are better than them

Viney indicated in the QnA that we may be going back towards the more attacking game style we saw earlier in the year. If we don't bring in someone that uses the ball in an elite way off half back like Caleb Daniel, then we are farked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 of those players are no longer with us. :stern look

Coaches around the league and most of the data analysts don’t rate him and haven’t since his last AA year.

He’s absolutely a great kick.

But he doesn’t move the ball forward in any meaningful way.

He doesn’t break lines with the ball.

Majority of his possessions are chip kicks to stationary targets or he’s a stationary target himself.

Hoyne and CD have been critical of him for a long time.

It’s why the Dogs felt they needed to replace him.

I’d almost prefer to see him play further forward if we did recruit him.

It has to be for minimum chips though, he doesn’t move the needle in any way whatsoever. He’s basically Fisher 2.0
Sphynx only love you till you're 17
When you're 21
You're no fun

When do we start valuing list spots?
When we have enough players of a good enough quality to do so.

We easily could still make a significant enough amount of delistings based on the standard of some.

FWIW im not ecstatic with Daniel at 4 yrs but it won’t make or break the list once a player is good enough to displace him I think they will.

For the here and now he’s a player who we know can contribute on an afl field.

I hope the deal is front loaded as we really should be flat out hitting the salary cap floor. If there is only a small portion of the wage at the back end and he is playing mainly 2s so be it

His spot in that Dogs team.moving forward is far from guaranteed. So yes, the selling point from.us should be that he'll be best 22, can help develop a young group and we'll pay him more. If he's not interested that's fine.

Giving him.an extra year would be just about palatable. Giving him an extra two when the best teams are employing quick and direct half backs would be stupid.
Whats a recent example of where this strategy has worked? I mean Collingwood, a powerhouse club, just had to offer Harry Perryman at 7 year deal at 900K+ to get him over the line and he wouldn't be in the top dozen players at GWS. We are one of the least desirable clubs in the league to play for and that needs to be reflected in the size and value of contracts we offer so we can bring in any players let alone high end talent. Until we improve on field and off field as a club, this will continue to the be the case.

Not that it’s a high bar but Daniel/Parker/darling are better than them

Prob can take out Corr and Logue. Corr has been serviceable, solid year last yr, injury hit other year... Logue will be fine once gets a good run at it.... still hold hope in Stephens and Fisher.... was only fishers 2nd yr at hb. Tucker is a solid role player that was needed but should be gradually eased out with the kids improving and other depth. Shiels did a role for 2 yrs nothing wrong there. Greenwood never really hit straps. Need to give Teakle abit more time only has 6mths
Stepho yes disappointing cj too last chance saloon there

The others were never going to make it

Whats a recent example of where this strategy has worked? I mean Collingwood, a powerhouse club, just had to offer Harry Perryman at 7 year deal at 900K+ to get him over the line and he wouldn't be in the top dozen players at GWS. We are one of the least desirable clubs in the league to play for and that needs to be reflected in the size and value of contracts we offer so we can bring in any players let alone high end talent. Until we improve on field and off field as a club, this will continue to the be the case.

Think was only 6 but still ludicrous

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back