Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Last edited:

We're a five year bottom two side, I'm content we are in a race. Even the ugly girls at the back of the hall get the chance to go home with somebody better looking.
You said they were just jealous!

Surely this shiteshow doesn’t need to run for 8 days

How does the AFL maintain eyes on its channels and its media personalities without it

I honestly believe there are deals done that the AFL doesn't want to announce because it stops them being able to have more eyes on "Deadline Day", another attempt to crowbar an overseas tradition into an Australian sport where it doesn't fit. Deadline Day in overseas football works because it's a global thing where a player has hundreds of clubs to pick from. Doesn't really work in pidge podge AFL land, but let's sandwich it in there anyway

Gonna agree to disagree. I think it's reasonable to want to play for a team closer to finals but any vibe I get out of this is the ultimate end result is getting to Victoria. The general consensus now is he is never returning to Port, he could have easily said get me to the Pies or Blues.

We're a five year bottom two side, I'm content we are in a race. Even the ugly girls at the back of the hall get the chance to go home with somebody better looking.
are we in the race? being in the race is contingent on him wanting to go to us.

I totally understand that perspective but I think he'd need to be 2-3 years younger for me to be on board with it.

I wouldn't be devastated if we paid up for him, but my preference is certainly going to the draft with any first rounders. The more talent we can pack into our list before Tasmania come in the better.

We're in somewhat of a fortunate position having high-end first round picks to inject into our list before the draft is diluted even more than it is in 2028. I think a large reason we're in the position we're in is because we were a middling team when GWS and Gold Coast entered the league and just before that point - we didn't have the opportunity to bring in any real high-end talented players during that time and it was just compounded by poor list management decisions later on.
I agree with a lot of your points. At what point do you think the club needs to show ambition to its supporters and playing group that they want to improve and turn things around quicker? There will be a tipping point in going back to the draft if our talented players don't think the club is doing enough to provide them with a platform to win sooner rather than later, and decide to explore option elsewhere.

I am all for the draft (and definitely don't want to overpay for Houston) but surely you can see that the draft on its own will never get us out of this situation?
If we just go draft Sheezel will be forty years old before we are successful

i am on the don't trade a future first camp, could also be used as trade collateral next year for a big fish if needed

split pick 2 camp

otherwise keep both
The only one next year so far that l would want to get would be Sharpe but l dont expect to finish in the bottom 2 so l am all for doing both.
Split pick 2 and trade out our F1st for something this year...especially if we could get our hands on GC pick 13 with it or Freos round 1 picks 10 or 11 to offer Port for Houston

and a promise that our supporters won't Boo sooky boy from here on... ;) :laughv1:

Another nothing day on the trade front, no doubt... a dozen 'journalists' all clamouring to see who can bullshit the mist for clicks.

We all know 90% of the deals are getting done in the last 4 hrs lol

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The whole process is beyond stupid and exists not to facilitate smooth and effective player movement, but more to keep AFL visible in the off season, and to keep AFL media hacks busy hypothesising bullshit before they go on extended annual leave. It's a total farce.

If they cut it to Monday-Friday, they'd still have no news until the Thursday and they'd still come down to the last 10mins on the Friday.

Yes we said a number of times that we want to fast track the development and would rather trade future picks

I see your point, but the AFLPA would never agree to it, as it's essentially just a player trade, not a free agency. Any out of contract player can leave this way, so what would be the point of reaching the FA status?
It’s still FA as the player can still move to the club of their choice.

If the club doesn’t want to give up the value for that player then it probably tells you that they never wanted them anyway and were only taking them because they were a freebie.

It will also balance the market as you will find these ridiculous deals to poach players will stop as the value is linked to contract value and length.

I totally understand that perspective but I think he'd need to be 2-3 years younger for me to be on board with it.

I wouldn't be devastated if we paid up for him, but my preference is certainly going to the draft with any first rounders. The more talent we can pack into our list before Tasmania come in the better.

We're in somewhat of a fortunate position having high-end first round picks to inject into our list before the draft is diluted even more than it is in 2028. I think a large reason we're in the position we're in is because we were a middling team when GWS and Gold Coast entered the league and just before that point - we didn't have the opportunity to bring in any real high-end talented players during that time and it was just compounded by poor list management decisions later on.
Yeah looks I get it definitely, but I think continually going to the draft is fools gold at a point and there's a time you need to decide to be competitive. I know the last few weeks might have changed people's opinions, but I saw enough in the 2nd half of the year to believe that the nucleus of our next finals team is here and it's now time to surround them with some more experience and maturity to actually achieve that competitiveness

There's also the obvious elephant in the room that we probably lose our best player next year if we're still a sub-5 win team. Houston helps us not be that more than a player who won't even be on our list yet.

The only 1 next year so far that l would want to get would be Sharpe but l dont expect to finish in the bottom 2 so l am all for doing both.
Split pick 2 and trade out our F1st for something this year...especially if we could get our hands on GC pick 13 with it or Freos round 1 picks 10 or 11 to offer Port for Houston.
Ludowyke, duursma, greeves, onley are 4 i'm very keen on next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we just go draft Sheezel will be forty years old before we are successful
It's a balance.

A player of Houston's would help immensely. If you start handing out 2nd round draft picks for Caleb Daniel types, you'll sink further.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

are we in the race? being in the race is contingent on him wanting to go to us.

Anything I've seen suggests we are. Sam Edmunds was on SEN earlier saying he believes Houston is open to playing with us, we're in it and the Pies aren't necessarily his preference as reported elsewhere. Also reckons even if they get 13 from GC that this won't be enough with Richards. Carlton seem to be out as they won't trade out of this draft. We might be seen as a Bradbury on it but it's probably worth noting that even if we have the F1 offered and that looks like the best offer for Port, they've been pretty clear they want into this draft at this stage.

Anyone want to trade Harry Sheezel or George Wardlaw for Jack Sinclair or Adam Saad?

No?

You sure?

Well that's where we'd be at trading picks 3 or 4 for an AA HB from the same year.

Screw your ****ing heads back on.

Hahahaha

My source is telling me Port want Pick 2 AND a future second!

Carlton has said piss off. We told them get stuffed. We were confident we could land him but Port are being ****wits. Not so likely anymore as initially thought unfortunately 😕.
This is a recent development too.

Houston really wants to move but Port are being incredibly difficult with its demands. Especially when it's dealing with us.

We've given up on that race it seems. Would have to be a significant change in demands from Port for us to bite.

no to paying overs

future 3rd for caleb daniel
maybe with a swap of future 4ths also as a sweetner

we are taking 700-750k a year off their books a year for the next 2 years
Yeah I get it, I do.

But we have to start winning. I reckon Clarko knows this as well. He is worried about what this group will become if we have another poor year.

I'm willing to pay overs. I know it's not fair, but our situation is just so unique. We have to get 5-6 plus wins next year.

The whole process is beyond stupid and exists not to facilitate smooth and effective player movement, but more to keep AFL visible in the off season, and to keep AFL media hacks busy hypothesising bullshit before they go on extended annual leave. It's a total farce.

If they cut it to Monday-Friday, they'd still have no news until the Thursday and they'd still come down to the last 10mins on the Friday.
The last 10 minutes of the trade period..

Freaking Out GIF

Anyone want to trade Harry Sheezel or George Wardlaw for Jack Sinclair or Adam Saad?

No?

You sure?

Well that's where we'd be at trading picks 3 or 4 for an AA HB from the same year.

Screw your ****ing heads back on.
Who in this year's top five has shown the potential that Sheezel and Wardlaw did in 2021/22?

It keeps getting asked, but I can't recall a single person who's answered this since the Houston debate started.

I suggest either would go at number one in this year's draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back