Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Last edited:

Cut in pay
But gets a farm on the side for free under the table
Season 3 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons

But they are not prepared to hand over 13 and 23 to the Power, believing Sydney would then trade its picks 19 and 22 for the cherished No. 13 pick.

It would leave the Power with picks 19, 22 and 23 and Richards for Houston.

So the Pies are only prepared to hand over pick 13 and departing small forward Joe Richards, believing the Port Adelaide request is over the top even if all three of those picks would be late in the first round of the draft.”
nana changing GIF

It isn't a surprise that Port are being bastards about their return for Houston. Any other club (including us) would do the same for a two time All Australian who's under contract.

It isn't a surprise that Port are being bastards about their return for Houston. Any other club (including us) would do the same for a two time All Australian who's under contract.
I know right. Not at all like the prized number one pick wanting to “return for family reasons” after one year at his club, having been groomed by a particular SA club

They’ll cave

They want luko and Richards

So will get a Houston deal done to get trade capital
l agree but l think they will wait for as long as possible and use us to get the most out of the Pies. Once we get Parker and start to do something with our picks outside of offering picks for Houston they will take what ever the Pies have on the table for Houston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 10 pick or the equivalent value from two mid/late 1sts I can completely understand demanding that for an AA.
Its the pick 2 and F2 demand from us which has us all confused as to what the price really is.

Either Port caves or the deal falls over.

The deal is done. Houston has had three weeks to say he's open to playing for North, and shut down any of the Collingwood/Carlton talk. He's using us so piss him off. Our offer couldn't be better. If he was just happy to play in Victoria, he'd have signed with us by now.

Feels a bit shit to experience solidarity with the worst fanbase in the AFL, but the Port board are having a good laugh at hypotheticals on the Collingwood board regarding Houston and apparently Lord. I've seen some of the hypotheticals Pies fans have thrown up in the past as fans of a club that thinks it can stick its fingers in whatever pies it wants, and the derision is wholly justified

The deal is done. Houston has had three weeks to say he's open to playing for North, and shut down any of the Collingwood/Carlton talk. He's using us so piss him off. Our offer couldn't be better. If he was just happy to play in Victoria, he'd have signed with us by now.
I'm not broken up over it. I wasn't that keen spending that kind of capital in isolation on a half back flanker anyway.
We keep the pick or consider trading it into this year for pick 9 or 11 and more. Grab a key forward with it.
Part of me would like to see Port have to keep Houston if their demands are too ridiculous.

Feels a bit shit to experience solidarity with the worst fanbase in the AFL, but the Port board are having a good laugh at hypotheticals on the Collingwood board regarding Houston and apparently Lord. I've seen some of the hypotheticals Pies fans have thrown up in the past as fans of a club that thinks it can stick its fingers in whatever pies it wants, and the derision is wholly justified
Kind of glad we have not changed our offer. The offer is still just sitting there.

Interested in what you think they have done rationally? They requested 2 and our F2 didn’t they? Or was it our F1? That’s pretty irrational.
AFAIK nothing from reliable sources to that effect.

What’s been reported by multiple sources of their intentions is this:

1) They asked for two first rounders from Melbourne when they were higher up the ladder than where the Dees finished.

2) they want to get into the 2024 first round

3) we’ve put f1 on the table and thus far they haven’t taken us up on it. (Whether we are asking for anything back, we dunno.)

4) Port have convinced Houston that he cant just nominate a club and go where he wants until it is satisfied with the return it will get.

That’s about all we know.

If we had a contracted Larkey wanting to go interstate, we would be acting much the same.

And if we had a 2024 single digit draft pick on the table, I suspect they’d jump at the offer.

All this bullshit around the Blues and the Pies throwing together a late first rounder with bits and pieces is just irrelevant nonsense that helps bring in some advertising money for trade week.

Unless something significant changes, Houston will either stay at Port or come to us, because we have the best ability to make a satisfactory deal for them.

Last edited:
Of course he was going to a contender at 28 years old, he's got 5 years or so left and wants a flag.
Whether he gets that at the Pies I'm not sure, aging list and no great under 23 players apart from Daicos.
And if Port truly want pick 2 and a 2nd rounder then I think he stays at Port and the deal falls over.
Pick 2 really? What did they pay for Corne Francis? It's just disrespectful if true.

I would like to think we don't really care what all the outside noise is around this trade and we hold the view we've tabled our offer...."take it or leave it" and are expending no more energy on what we see is an unlikely long shot. Focus on swaying Daniel/Dogs and if that doesn't eventuate, we move on there as well. Parker the main goal and I'm sure that will happen for the 40s pick. Walk away with Darling and Parker, worst case we take 2 & 25 to the draft. Not bad.

Yeah but they’ll get their bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back