List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

PlayerOriginal ClubTrade/FANew ClubResult
Daniel RioliRichmondTradeGold CoastGold Coast receive Richmond's Daniel Rioli, R4 (51,61,70,76) Picks
Richmond receive GC's R1(6), R2(23) Picks
Shai BoltonRichmondTradeFremantleFremantle receive Richmond's Shai Bolton, R1(14), 2025 R3 Pick.
Richmond receive Fremantle's R1(10,11,18) Picks
Harry SharpBrisbane & MelbourneTradeMelbourneMelbourne receives Brisbane's Harry Sharp, 2025 R3 pick (tied to Brisbane)
Brisbane receives Melbourne's 2024 R3(49), 2025 R3 pick (tied to Essendon).
Dan Houston
Jack Lukosius
Joe Richards
Rory Atkins
John Noble
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Collingwood
TradeCollingwood
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Port Adelaide receives GC's R1(13),GC R2(29,36), GC R3(50) Picks, Jack Lukosius, Joe Richards, Rory Atkins
Gold Coast receives Collingwood's 2025 F1, PA's 2025 F1, PA R2(39)
Collingwood receive Dan Houston, PA R4(58)
Matt Owies
Liam Baker
Carlton & RichmondTradeWest CoastRound 1 pick (3), Round 4 (63,68) to Carlton
Round 1 Pick (14) to Richmond
Round 1 Pick(12), R4 (73) to WCE
Liam Baker to WCE
Matt Owies to WCE
Isaac CummingGWSUFAAdelaideEnd of Round 1 Compo (pick 21) to GWS
Josh BattleSt KildaUFAHawthornRound 1 Compo (Pick 8) to St.Kilda
Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Brisbane Lions trade Harry Sharp and its 2025 Round 3 pick (tied to Brisbane) to Melbourne for its 2024 Round 3 pick (currently 49) and its 2025 Round 3 pick (tied to Essendon).
-----------------
Collingwood get Houston and Pick 58 and give up: a future first round pick, Joe Richards to Port and John Noble to Gold Coast

Port get Jack Lukosius, Richards, Rory Atkins, picks 13, 29, 36 and 50 in this year’s draft while letting Houston go to Collingwood, their future first round pick, pick 39 in this year’s goes to Gold Coast and pick 58 goes to Collingwood.

Gold Coast get Noble, a future first round pick from each of Collingwood and Port Adelaide, and pick 39 (received from Port), while the Suns send Lukosius and Atkins, picks 13, 29 and 50 to Port Adelaide.
-------------
St Kilda trade its Round Two selection (currently 27) to the Brisbane Lions for its Round Two selection (currently 32) and its Round Three selection (currently 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
----------
Three club trade approved.Richmond trade Liam Baker to the West Coast Eagles.West Coast Eagles trade its Round One selection (currently 3) and both its Round Four selections (currently 63 and 68) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft to Carlton.
Carlton trade Matthew Owies, its Round One selection (currently 12) and its Round Four selection (currently 73) to West Coast Eagles. Carlton trade its Round One selection (currently 14 ) to Richmond.
----------
Melbourne trade its two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 28 and 40), two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 46 and 54), its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 65) and its 2025 Round 1 selection to Essendon.
Essendon trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 9) and its 2025 Round 3 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively to Melbourne.
---------
Melbourne trade its 2025 Round 3 selection to the Adelaide Crows for its 2024 Round 3 selection (currently 46) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Brisbane trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 20) to Richmond for two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 32 and 42) and two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 43 and 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
---------
Carlton trade its 2024 Round 2 selection (currently 34) and 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 66) to Brisbane for its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 73) and 2025 Round 2 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Carlton trade its 2025 Round 1 selection and 2025 Round 2 selection (tied to Carlton) to Hawthorn for its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 14) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.

Last edited:

So how do we line up next year?

FB: Corr ~ Logue ~ Archer
HB: Goater ~ Comben ~ Daniel
C: McKercher ~ Parker ~ Scott
HF: Zurhaar ~ Darling ~ Simpkin
FF: Fisher\Konstanty/RHJ ~ Larkey ~ Curtis

R: Xerri ~ Sheezel ~ LDU

INT: Wardlaw ~ Powell (5th onballer? HBF relief) ~ one of the three I listed in the pocket ~ Duursma/Tucker?

My guess is one of Fisher or Tucker get included for their versatility. Not sure if we'll play a proper second ruck like Teakle?

I'm not sure how we play this many onballers and I feel we need Parker to play a decent amount of midfield time. Simpkin to a wing? I dunno.
I want to see Comben in the Forward line. The Dawsons will be bigger next year.

Where is the space for Jagga?

In the thrice and one year after the great isolation, namesake mine stones of condemnation will bear.
Verily, let him who is without sin be the first to cast a stone of condemnation. They of the bigfooty faith must never cry out in hypocritical judgment but instead, should cry out in praise of Brady. For the almighty hath shut the lions' mouths, that they may not hurt the one that scuttles like a scarab, Caleb Daniel.

I want to see Comben in the Forward line. The Dawsons will be bigger next year.

Where is the space for Jagga?
Same but I think we'll play him back. Will be interesting to see how Will Dawson progresses, I've got high hopes for him but nothing wrong with learning in the 2s.

Pick 2 will probably come straight in as well.

A healthy list and we're looking like having some decent depth for once.

The pessimist in me says that if we don’t see a serious up tick in wins next year all of our trades in the past two seasons are going to look dumb and we are going to be left with a lot of financial baggage and list spots being taken up by limited or cooked footballers in Fisher, Stephens, Daniel and Darling.

I hope it’s not the case but our history of recruiting the right mature age talent is deplorable at best.

Additionally if a few players around pick 25 go on to have long careers the decision to trade will be compounded even further.
I can't quite reconcile your poor view of him with his proven track record.

He's an AA and B&F winner in decent sides and he's only 28. He was also a DVC.

He's the most credentialed player we've recruited for yonks - Parker aside.

2 + F2 for 10, 11, 20?

Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt Richmond will hand over 6. They need one of everything, and it's a good spot to take your favourite tall.
Maybe we could go 6 + 18 + 20 and get much the same result?

If the combine reports are true, we'll prioritise Tauru above landing the second tier player.

The pessimist in me says that if we don’t see a serious up tick in wins next year all of our trades in the past two seasons are going to look dumb and we are going to be left with a lot of financial baggage and list spots being taken up by limited or cooked footballers in Fisher, Stephens, Daniel and Darling.

I hope it’s not the case but our history of recruiting the right mature age talent is deplorable at best.

Additionally if a few players around pick 25 go on to have long careers the decision to trade will be compounded even further.
How many AAs with silverware has the pessimist in you seen North recruit over the past decade?

north-melbourne.jpg

Who arrived: Jack Darling, Caleb Daniel, Luke Parker, Jacob Konstanty

Who left: Nil

2024 Telstra AFL Draft picks: 2, 62

Future picks: The Kangaroos held all of their future draft selections for 2025.

We say: The Roos made no secret of their desire to attract established talent and that's exactly what they did, landing four players from rival clubs. West Coast forward Jack Darling will add some much-needed support to Nick Larkey in the forward half, while Western Bulldogs utility Caleb Daniel will act as a Swiss army knife for Roos coach Alastair Clarkson. Sydney duo Luke Parker and Jacob Konstanty have also arrived in a deal that went down in the final 10 minutes of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period. Parker's leadership and experience will be an asset for the rebuilding Roos outfit, while Konstanty, a young small forward taken with pick 20 in 2022, is somewhat of a wildcard after being starved of opportunity during his time at the Swans. The Roos might have paid overs for Daniel, but at the end of the day he was contracted at the Bulldogs. Keep an eye on what the Roos do with pick No.2, as they may try to split it in order to get a couple of gun youngsters into the club. – Dylan Bolch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel never openly said trade me to North. I think he’s happy for the opportunity but if didn’t happen he’d continue to work on being picked each week for a strong side like the dogs - continuing to be paid good money.

We needed to make it happen not the other way around. It’s sucks. There will be a good role player at 25 that would help us with list balance. But you can’t have everything.

I’m looking forward to the group we put together last year going through another pre-season together.

Not sure what we do at the draft. I’d be happy to just grab the best kid at 2. I think FOS is top class and can play lots of roles. He just didn’t get a good run of games this year. I suspect he’s probably the best performed kid over the last 3 years. That probably doesn’t mean as much when your worst year is the top age year.
His manager said they had been working on the trade for a while. Just because it wasn’t a declaration in the media doesn’t mean he wasn’t keen to move.

In reality we traded in 3 former premiership/AA level players, with one for each zone. Even if we don't see a huge uptick in immediate results, the long terms benefits & leadership they'll bring will be huge for our younger mob.
I confess, I keep seeing your username and wishing he was on here :(

brady got saved from himself
was going to spend a future first on houston

but cos we missed got an extra list spot to get konstanty included

we were going to be without a future first and konstanty but wouldve had houston
He played you like a fiddle.

The Trade King

I think we all agree that the Parker / Konstanty trade was a good one.

Darling is there for a pick that most clubs would be passing on, so if he's cooked it's break-even. I worry that he is, but it's a bonus to have his much-touted professionalism on the track and in the gym.

Yes, we overpaid for Daniel. Not by much, IMO. I suspect if we held pick 30 instead of 25 and used that, most here would be ok with it.

People say Brady has no balls in trading, but the Daniel trade is pretty ballsy really. It's essentially a gamble that we'll get 3-4 years out of Daniel that are better than the career of the player we might have chosen at 25 (about the 30th best player in the draft). It's likely that 1 or 2 players maximum that are taken from in the late 20s / early 30s will have a good career. IMO, it was a gamble worth taking.
Daniel ain’t breaking the lines. He is a nice kick but he ain’t the most penetrating of kicks. Sure he will retain the pill but will he cut through the opposition’s zone? Also he ain’t that quick. Plus defensively he ain’t that good. You may call it ballsy. I call it buckling. We overpaid and now our draft hand is ordinary. Plus we have a number of half back flankers on the list. Goater, Hardiman, Bergman, Fischer and McDonald. Did we really need him? :stern look

Look people are allowed to have negative opinions on trades this club makes. We heard the same stuff when people called the CCJ trade a poor one, and every time this club has made a blue. We will make more mistakes as time goes on, that's just the game, and it's okay to put your opinion out there when you think one has been made.

I pray this doesn't turn out to be one, but IMO at this point in time, it is.
The CCJ trade was a poor one both at the time and now with hindsight, especially when he could've been walked to the PSD. If he wasn't willing to do that, he could've stayed at the Tiges.

The point is that you are meant to learn from your mistakes, not just repeat the same process and expect a different result. That is the definition of insanity. It's seemingly more and more likely that when things haven't gone poorly it's been due to pure dumb luck as opposed to good process and planning (eg talent identification and sourcing).

To an extent, what was the point of recruiting Fisher last year if we go back to the well to get Daniel this year to play the same role?

north-melbourne.jpg

Who arrived: Jack Darling, Caleb Daniel, Luke Parker, Jacob Konstanty

Who left: Nil

2024 Telstra AFL Draft picks: 2, 62

Future picks: The Kangaroos held all of their future draft selections for 2025.

We say: The Roos made no secret of their desire to attract established talent and that's exactly what they did, landing four players from rival clubs. West Coast forward Jack Darling will add some much-needed support to Nick Larkey in the forward half, while Western Bulldogs utility Caleb Daniel will act as a Swiss army knife for Roos coach Alastair Clarkson. Sydney duo Luke Parker and Jacob Konstanty have also arrived in a deal that went down in the final 10 minutes of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period. Parker's leadership and experience will be an asset for the rebuilding Roos outfit, while Konstanty, a young small forward taken with pick 20 in 2022, is somewhat of a wildcard after being starved of opportunity during his time at the Swans. The Roos might have paid overs for Daniel, but at the end of the day he was contracted at the Bulldogs. Keep an eye on what the Roos do with pick No.2, as they may try to split it in order to get a couple of gun youngsters into the club. – Dylan Bolch

So much for that MASS EXODUS 😂🍺🍺🍺🍺👏👏

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back