List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m happy with landing just the below 3 experienced players then hitting the draft with 2 (or split it for 6 and 10/12) and 22

Pick in the late 50s for darling
Pick 40 for Parker
Future 3rd for Lobb

Gives us flexibility with the ability to switch Lobb and comben either end

If we don’t get Lobb then happy to keep playing teakle as the KPF that pinch hits ruck but lose a bit of flexibilty of being able to swap with chom in game

B: Archer Logue Corr
HB: Goater Comben Mckercher

HF: Parker Lobb/teakle Simpkin
F: zurhaar larkey darling

And then on the bench you have a 7th forward and defender which could be a number of players

Here's the thing about Jack Darling. He's not the player he was, but he was a helluva player. It's not that he's kicked 530 odd goals as a key forward, It's that he's kicked 530 odd goals as the 2nd banana.
The worst part about our games is watching our forwards all get in each other's way and blocking each other's leading lanes, then having the midfield bomb it in the general direction of Larkey every single time. Darling might only kick 25 goals, but if he can help Larkey kick an extra 20 he's worth his weight in gold. Waterman and Oscar Allan have both benefited from having him in the forward line with them over the past 2 years.
If Darling does come kicks let’s say 20+ goals Larkey let’s say 30 goals and say a extra 30 goals from others we will win more games

If Darling does come kicks let’s say 20+ goals Larkey let’s say 30 goals and say a extra 30 goals from others we will win more games
So roughly 80 goals. 23 games to play next year. 80/23 is a tad under 3.5. So under this prediction we can be expected to score somewhere between 20 and 30 points a game.

Crikey. Hope our defence stands up

So roughly 80 goals. 23 games to play next year. 80/23 is a tad under 3.5. So under this prediction we can be expected to score somewhere between 20 and 30 points a game.

Crikey. Hope our defence stands up
Dare To Dream GIF by Paula Baines

Knew it wasn't Rawlings fault, it never is.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Let me tell you something hilly, a couple of years back a narrative was pushed within the club that the reason the list was so bad was because of Finnigan, Luff, Joyce and Lewis amongst others. But not Rawling. Heard it from multiple sources. I wonder who pushed that narrative in the first place? The truth is staring you all in the face. :stern look

Reason for Edit: The truth was staring me in the face. :stern look

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m happy with landing just the below 3 experienced players then hitting the draft with 2 (or split it for 6 and 10/12) and 22

Pick in the late 50s for darling
Pick 40 for Parker
Future 3rd for Lobb

Gives us flexibility with the ability to switch Lobb and comben either end

If we don’t get Lobb then happy to keep playing teakle as the KPF that pinch hits ruck but lose a bit of flexibilty of being able to swap with chom in game

B: Archer Logue Corr
HB: Goater Comben Mckercher

HF: Parker Lobb/teakle Simpkin
F: zurhaar larkey darling

And then on the bench you have a 7th forward and defender which could be a number of players
F3 for Parker. Rather take 40 to the draft. There will be a good player in this deeper draft at that pick.

Let me tell you something hilly, a couple of years back a narrative was pushed within the club that the reason the list was so bad was because of Finnigan, Luff, Joyce and Lewis amongst others. But not Rawling. Heard it from multiple sources. I wonder who pushed that narrative in the first place? The truth is stating you all in the face. :stern look
Finnigan, Luff, Joyce, Lewis and McMahon don't have a great record with their recruiting and drafting.
Brady and Clayton the same. They all get a slice of blame pie for me.

Is it a deep draft? Or is there just no standout players? Its either a super draft or a dud draft..
The top 5 isn't quite as good as last year imo. But the 15-40 players I think are better than last year.
But I'm far from an expert. At pick 40 I think there's a good chance to pick up something out of a wing/half back (Greggo, Jacques, Retschko etc.), key defender (Mraz), key forward (Nichols, Rohr, Stumpf etc.) or small forwards (Alger?, Bradley, Depaoli-Kubank, Nguyen, Day-Wicks, Dattoli etc.)

Should the Magpies and Demons target veteran Eagle this trade period? - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09...emons-target-veteran-eagle-this-trade-period/

As the trade rumours continue to pick up speed, general conversation surrounding potential deals tend to follow suit, whether feasible or fantasy.

With contracts set to expire, trades on the horizon and in this case, veterans potentially available, the question of what to do to maximise assets has become every list manager's most difficult task.

In a prime example of list headaches, Jack Darling’s time with the Eagles may be coming to a halt, as he reportedly enters the final – very expensive - year on his five-year contract out West.

It seems as though Darling’s best footy is behind him, managing just 22 goals in his 22 games, the lowest season tally in his admirable career.

It begs the question; what do West Coast do with Jack Darling?

Paul Hasleby certainly believes a trade can be made, with some notable suiters IF the Eagles are willing to… pay.

“Can West Coast turn Jack Darling into something?” Hasleby asked SEN WA’s The Run Home.

“There have been rumours around North Melbourne, I don’t fully believe those rumours, but I think North Melbourne would be wiser to go and find someone who is a bit younger.

Tim Membrey is there who kicked more goals than Jack, and he’s two years younger.

“What about some clubs who would be competing, or thinking they can bounce back?

“There is two that come to mind, the Collingwood football club, and Melbourne.

“They both missed finals, both struggle with key forward targets, can West Coast do something spectacular to try to sell Jack Darling to those two clubs?”

Hasleby has put forward a potential trade that may become a league first, if the deal is ticked off by the AFL.

“Straight away you would be thinking, what’s in it for them? They are not going to buy Jack Darling,” he said.

“But what if West Coast said, ‘we would pay his whole wage’, because at West Coast right now, they don’t have a salary cap issue.

“They are either going to put him in the team next year, he might spend most of the time in the WAFL like Andrew Gaff did, or can you pay the whole wage, entice Melbourne, entice Collingwood, one of them, to give up something for Jack Darling.

“Their salary caps would be close to the top, they would believe that they can both rebound next year, and I’m wondering if you could entice a second round pick, could West Coast get that pick, paying the whole salary and then they can use that pick, or maybe what will be their third pick in the draft, for Liam Baker.”

Darling’s final year is rumoured to be worth approximately $800,000, allowing either of Collingwood or Melbourne to field Darling without exceeding the wage bill.

In all likelihood, the Eagles would not be permitted to pay 100 per cent of the deal, with a suitor almost certainly required to pay a percentage.

“The worst-case scenario is, he sits in the WAFL, that money sort of rots away, yes, he’s going to help with the leadership 100 per cent in the WAFL, but Andrew Gaff being there this year didn’t really help West Coast, it sort of becomes a bit of a distraction, he might be in and out a few times.

“I just wonder whether there would be a suitor, if you are going to pay the entire wage.”

Should the Magpies and Demons target veteran Eagle this trade period? - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09...emons-target-veteran-eagle-this-trade-period/

As the trade rumours continue to pick up speed, general conversation surrounding potential deals tend to follow suit, whether feasible or fantasy.

With contracts set to expire, trades on the horizon and in this case, veterans potentially available, the question of what to do to maximise assets has become every list manager's most difficult task.

In a prime example of list headaches, Jack Darling’s time with the Eagles may be coming to a halt, as he reportedly enters the final – very expensive - year on his five-year contract out West.

It seems as though Darling’s best footy is behind him, managing just 22 goals in his 22 games, the lowest season tally in his admirable career.

Paul Hasleby certainly believes a trade can be made, with some notable suiters IF the Eagles are willing to… pay.

“Can West Coast turn Jack Darling into something?” Hasleby asked SEN WA’s The Run Home.

“There have been rumours around North Melbourne, I don’t fully believe those rumours, but I think North Melbourne would be wiser to go and find someone who is a bit younger.

“Tim Membrey is there who kicked more goals than Jack, and he’s two years younger.

“What about some clubs who would be competing, or thinking they can bounce back?

“They both missed finals, both struggle with key forward targets, can West Coast do something spectacular to try to sell Jack Darling to those two clubs?”

Hasleby has put forward a potential trade that may become a league first, if the deal is ticked off by the AFL.

“Straight away you would be thinking, what’s in it for them? They are not going to buy Jack Darling,” he said.

“But what if West Coast said, ‘we would pay his whole wage’, because at West Coast right now, they don’t have a salary cap issue.

“They are either going to put him in the team next year, he might spend most of the time in the WAFL like Andrew Gaff did, or can you pay the whole wage, entice Melbourne, entice Collingwood, one of them, to give up something for Jack Darling.

“Their salary caps would be close to the top, they would believe that they can both rebound next year, and I’m wondering if you could entice a second round pick, could West Coast get that pick, paying the whole salary and then they can use that pick, or maybe what will be their third pick in the draft, for Liam Baker.”

Darling’s final year is rumoured to be worth approximately $800,000, allowing either of Collingwood or Melbourne to field Darling without exceeding the wage bill.

In all likelihood, the Eagles would not be permitted to pay 100 per cent of the deal, with a suitor almost certainly required to pay a percentage.

“The worst-case scenario is, he sits in the WAFL, that money sort of rots away, yes, he’s going to help with the leadership 100 per cent in the WAFL, but Andrew Gaff being there this year didn’t really help West Coast, it sort of becomes a bit of a distraction, he might be in and out a few times.

“I just wonder whether there would be a suitor, if you are going to pay the entire wage.”
Yes, they absolutely should. 🙏

“Tim Membrey is there who kicked more goals than Jack, and he’s two years younger.

I Hope Please GIF by TikTok

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back