List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, got an answer (and a good one at that).

I was wondering for a good hour or so what or who was our core.

Larkey, LDU, Xerri, Harry, George, Duursma, McKercher, Simpkin, Scott, Corr! We are only part way to establishing the core there.

Only one of them may not be playing in 2027, but could be if all goes swimmingly in the next 2 years.

What would you do OF? In all honesty, I can see both sides of the argument and don't think it's clear either way.

I'm firmly in the don't trade with Port under any circumstances bandwagon as well. Not that they don't have something we need, but they just know how to beat us at trading, we are a soft target for them and I feel that will continue for some time, unfortunately.

Wardlaw, McKercher, Archer, Comben- these blokes are probably the next cabs off the rank to being able to list in a core fashion. They all need more time 2 of them need to be settled into a permanent role.

What would I do?
In reality watch from the outside with the lack of power to change anything at all, just like I have been.

Beyond that I think that there has been an internal shift after the last 3 rounds where it was deemed completely unacceptable to lose a game we shouldn't have and then play 2 games where as a collective a dump was taken on the jumper.

We have been touting this line of "it'll take time" and that has shifted to us now floating our first round pick from next year? Well I wouldn't do that. But it indicates to me that something shifted.

We have list holes that need addressing. We have player contracts that we should have addressed already (I would only have kept 1 of Stephenson or CCJ and paid out the other). We have a lack of seniority.

Our most consistent player over the last 2 seasons is a teenager. This is commentary on every other player on the list but also an indication of what we actually have in Sheezel.

Your comment about 2027 is completely accurate albeit we could lose both Simpkin and Corr.

Below is what the game tallies would be playing 18 games a season for the next 3 seasons with players that are currently on our list. If they played all the games between now and then you could add another 18 games to each player ( I shaded it because players unlikely to play all games). Below is an order I would vaguely have them in, I know some not likely to get that far.

Archer(77) Logue (135) Bergman (70)
Goater (66) WDawson (57) Hardeman (57)
McKercher (70) Wardlaw (80) Scott (155)
Curtis (113) Larkey (171) Zurhaar (175)
RHJ ( 62) Comben (82) Ford (94)
Xerri (110) Sheezel (98) LDU (162)

24 pick 2 (54) 25 1st pick (36)

This side would all still be under 30 at the conclusion of the 2027 season.

What it does show is that we are still very young.

Ill be as diplomatic as a I can. He plays small, and hasn't shown he can compete in a high intensity, physical game.

I mean, that's just not true - he played some cracking footy during the Swans 2022 finals.

He's an icing on the top player sure, he's not a Wardlaw put the team on his back type.

He also stood under enough and went back with enough balls this year to dispel any allegations of true softness.

100% would be a great pickup. Can reliably hit the kick that opens up our transition play.

Also runs all day to provide outlets.

Plays Marvel perfectly too.

State of play

Jack Darling
- Officially requested a trade to North, offered a 2 year deal with games triggers for a 3rd year.

Luke Parker - Been consistently linked to North, still a lot to play out considering Sydney are in the Grand Final this weekend. Twomey confident he gets to North.

Dan Houston - Linked to North, we've made an offer, yet to officially pick a club. Realistically, it's between us and Carlton if he choses to move from

Caleb Daniel - Contracted but might be looking elsewhere despite having 2 years to run on his contract. Been linked to North.

Matt Owies - Hasn't been offered a contract yet from Carlton despite being their most consistent small forward. Has question marks on his defensive application but with a lack of small forward depth, he fills a need. Not linked at this stage.

Jacob Konstanty - Hasn't been offered a contract from Sydney. Hasn't played a game yet in two years but has shown glimpses at VFL level as a small forward. Fills a need and could potentially be an option as a delisted free agent.

Matt Kennedy - Been told to look elsewhere, had a pretty good year but wants midfield time. Capable player in the right age bracket. Probably only an option if Parker decides not to come to North.

Seb Ross - Delisted by the Saints, has leadership in spades and is as tough as they come. In the event that Parker doesn't come in he could be a cheaper alternative to set standards around the club.

Brandan Parfitt - Delisted by Geelong, but at 26 he has plenty of good footy ahead of him. Premiership player who comes from one of the best run clubs in the game. Once again, a capable player in the right age bracket. Potentially, a really good depth option.

Wade Derksen - Hasn't officially been linked to North, but a young KP player would make a lot of sense for our list balance and development. Linked to Melbourne but hasn't officially nominated at this stage.

Peter Ladhams - Looking likely to leave Sydney for more opportunities, with Hamish Free leaving and CCJ returning from injury we might looks for some mature age ruck depth, so Ladhams could be a realistic mature option.

Players who have nominated elsewhere after previous being linked: Macrae & Rosas Jnr.
Haven’t Garcia and Peatling been linked as well?

Well considering that is the age gap we are specifically targeting due to the absence on our current list.... it isn't that surprising!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Problem is, like most years, we seem to be connected with a heap of players but end up with none of them (except for those that no-one else wants).

They sentenced us to seven years of trouble
For denying them the Gold Coast Kangaroos
We’re coming now, we’re coming back with vengeance
First, we take Dan Houston, then we take Tauru.
Well they loved it when we were losers, now they're scared we just might win
They'd never be able to stop us if we just learned some discipline
How many nights I've prayed for this - to see the dynasty begin
First we trade our draft picks, then we jag a win

Problem is, like most years, we seem to be connected with a heap of players but end up with none of them (except for those that no-one else wants).

Yes agree with that.... you only need one or two to commit and see what we are building and then the others will follow suit... hopefully better success rate this year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well they loved it when we were losers, now they're scared we just might win
They'd never be able to stop us if we just learned some discipline
How many nights I've prayed for this - to see the dynasty begin
First we trade our draft picks, then we jag a win
And we thank them for those items that they sent us, ha ha ha ha
Pick 19, pick 20, the rookie spots too
And now the time for rebuilding is over
First we take Dan Houston, then we take Tauru

State of play
If I was making the calls.

Jack Darling - Looks to be happening, so my opinion here is moot.

Luke Parker - Yes

Dan Houston - No (because of Port not the player)

Caleb Daniel - No

Matt Owies - Maybe but probably not

Jacob Konstanty - Don't know enough, if free and an upgrade sure

Matt Kennedy - Yes

Seb Ross - Probably only under the conditions you listed, else, no

Brandan Parfitt - No

Peter Ladhams - No

If you're going to have Simpkin and Corr as part of our core, then you may as well add LMac. That wouldn't make it right either. Therein lies our problem. Whilst these guys are still considered part of our core, we are going nowhere fast.
You're right. Syd Barker medalists are shit.

Do you think Jy or Luke will ever be in a position to win another one?
The list is alot better than it was but Jy could well be back in the top five in a good side. LMac has a lot of work to do this pre season but if he actually does it he could play for a few more years.

You're comparing a bloke who's struggled to run out a game in 2024 to the second all-time record holder in the beep endurance out of all AFL players?
Just saying those figures don't always translate onto the field. Will also achieved the numbers you mentioned. I didn't realise Daniel's beep test was so good, maybe try him on a wing. I hate him as a defender.

True. Can he do it every week. I don't know.

I'd rather he got the ball more than 12 times a game tbh. He's just a bit of a nothing player in that his supposed strengths (ball use, endurance) don't seem to translate to anything of real value

Even his supposed high end finals series in 2022 was 14 touches a game

When there are only 17 clubs to deal with, wiping one out is pure negligence... every club has had bad trades not gone their way, you just move on plus different people maybe involved both sides...

Coll just paid what close to a top 5 pick for Schultz with Freo.... I'm sure they will get over it!

It wasn’t the deal which was lousy. In the end, we got what we wanted.

It was the grooming and poaching of a player that was (to every expert with half a brain) going to win games and possibly premierships off his own boot.

I just think that any favour for a sporting organisation that orchestrated that sort of pre-mediated sneak attack should be thrown out the window. No favours. Only ever engage with Port if we are going to winning out of the deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back