List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH, i'm not really keen on Houston. I think he's going to cost us too much in draft capital and we are already developing enough of his type with Goater, Archer and Hardeman. I don't think Houston addresses our most important need which is leadership as I see him as more of a foot soldier and not the sort of player that regularly stands up when the chips are down.

Not interested in Petracca either for a number of reasons. Not only will he cost us too much in draft capital, his contract is huge $ wise. Coming back from a serious injury that he's had, I think it would be reasonable to assume that he won't be the player he was. If he comes back at say 80% of what he was, then that basically brings him back to the pack of average midfielders that would command a 600k contract, not 1.2M - 1.7M. Sure he brings leadership, but at the expense I just mentioned, it's not worth the risk.

Our biggest issue without a doubt, as I just touched on, is leadership. A lot of us on here are calling for Sheezel, Xerri or Larkey to be made Captain but to be honest, none of these guys know what leadership in a finals competitive side looks like. Anything they've learnt from LMac or Simpkin needs to be thrown in the bin. So the only 2 ways to address this is to get the right players into our club and make them captain immediately (a Parker or Ward type) for example and have our 3 guys in the leadership group learning from them. If we can't get a straight up captain like Parker or Ward, and have to rely on a combination of Sheezel, Larkey and Xerri as Captains/ Vice Captains, then we need to bring in a retired captain to the club like a Selwood or Cotchin for example, who can work part time/ full time with these guys and give them proper direction in an off-field role.

But regardless of who we bring in to our club right now, if we don't address the leadership vacuum, our current on-field situation won't be changing in a hurry.

Think you will find Houston is in Port's leadership group!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Think you will find Houston is in Port's leadership group!

That's all good and well, but when I watch him play, he comes across as more of a front runner rather than a player that leads from the front when the chips are down. Not the sort of leader I'm looking for.

GC need 6 and/or 13 for Rioli though

Trading with Rich for them to get pick 2 with a collection of theirs seems to be the situation as they will have a tidy collection by the end of the trade period

That's all good and well, but when I watch him play, he comes across as more of a front runner rather than a player that leads from the front when the chips are down. Not the sort of leader I'm looking for.

Well obviously he is voted in by his peers so they will know his attributes more than watching the odd game from afar.

Trading with Rich for them to get pick 2 with a collection of theirs seems to be the situation as they will have a tidy collection by the end of the trade period

Yes just thinking Gc would prefer numerous picks rather than one biggy ie pick 2. They have Lombard to get in front of aswell as Rioli... noble should be in the 20s but Coll could play hard ball given he is contracted and don't have any early picks

Well obviously he is voted in by his peers so they will know his attributes more than watching the odd game from afar.

It's one thing to be a leader in a finals contending team, it's another thing entirely to be a leader in a team that's winning 3 games a year. Often times when Port gets pumped, he goes missing. I don't see it in him. Sorry.

TBH, i'm not really keen on Houston. I think he's going to cost us too much in draft capital and we are already developing enough of his type with Goater, Archer and Hardeman. I don't think Houston addresses our most important need which is leadership as I see him as more of a foot soldier and not the sort of player that regularly stands up when the chips are down.

Not interested in Petracca either for a number of reasons. Not only will he cost us too much in draft capital, his contract is huge $ wise. Coming back from a serious injury that he's had, I think it would be reasonable to assume that he won't be the player he was. If he comes back at say 80% of what he was, then that basically brings him back to the pack of average midfielders that would command a 600k contract, not 1.2M - 1.7M. Sure he brings leadership, but at the expense I just mentioned, it's not worth the risk.

Our biggest issue without a doubt, as I just touched on, is leadership. A lot of us on here are calling for Sheezel, Xerri or Larkey to be made Captain but to be honest, none of these guys know what leadership in a finals competitive side looks like. Anything they've learnt from LMac or Simpkin needs to be thrown in the bin. So the only 2 ways to address this is to get the right players into our club and make them captain immediately (a Parker or Ward type) for example and have our 3 guys in the leadership group learning from them. If we can't get a straight up captain like Parker or Ward, and have to rely on a combination of Sheezel, Larkey and Xerri as Captains/ Vice Captains, then we need to bring in a retired captain to the club like a Selwood or Cotchin for example, who can work part time/ full time with these guys and give them proper direction in an off-field role.

But regardless of who we bring in to our club right now, if we don't address the leadership vacuum, our current on-field situation won't be changing in a hurry.
He's done well leading the port backline and he'll do the same for us.
Not sure if we've been watching the same dan houston.
Need players his age and we cant afford to be waiting 4-5 years before playing finals anymore.
Larkey, zurhaar, simpkin and others all 27 next year. Another 3 years of rebuilding means they'll be what, 30 by the time we come good? Its going to be 1-2 years of these players in a good side before they start to break down.
No more draft picks, get good players and build around what we need.

It's one thing to be a leader in a finals contending team, it's another thing entirely to be a leader in a team that's winning 3 games a year. Often times when Port gets pumped, he goes missing. I don't see it in him. Sorry.

Fair enough, I agree they have very young leaders, hence often go missing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edit: Lastly, Leading Teams or whoever they are, can FRO!
Liked for the late edit, no more corporate snake oil salesman thank you.

Recently trading with Richmond has been akin to the old trip to the tip wher you come home with more rubbish than you got rid of.

2 round 1 picks for Dan WTF is Dan Houston
Splitting pick 2 into later 1st round picks

You people are nuts,

I remember 10 years of our first pick being pick 10 to 19 and lamenting or dreaming what it would be like to have a top 3 pick.

Take pick 2 to the draft select the best talented midfielder. Get the midfield right and experienced functioning and the backline and forward line will be instantly 25% better.

Sheezel LDU Wardlaw McKercher Pick 2 supported by Powell Sympkin Phillips

You don't give up 250+ A grade midfielders for blokes you can get as free agents in 2 or 3 years time when they are needed

Give us Seb Ross Luke Parker and Leek Aleer if Parker unavailable Jack Macrae is a look too

To buy something you need to pay something.

More like collecting hard rubbish. Might find it serves a purpose for us for a year or two.

I have a feeling we want Trainor in this draft and next year seems to have a larger pool of keys at the top end, so wonder if a future first is thrown in in some capacity...:think:
So do I, we seem to have a hard on for recruiting BFNAAK’s.

Surely he’d be an easy lure back to the the club down the track though given the family ties. If we don’t take him j think he ends up at Saints to take Battles spot

So do I, we seem to have a hard on for recruiting BFNAAK’s.

Surely he’d be an easy lure back to the the club down the track though given the family ties. If we don’t take him j think he ends up at Saints to take Battles spot
Not sure we can rely on that after Josh Kelly

2 round 1 picks for Dan WTF is Dan Houston
Splitting pick 2 into later 1st round picks

You people are nuts,

I remember 10 years of our first pick being pick 10 to 19 and lamenting or dreaming what it would be like to have a top 3 pick.

Take pick 2 to the draft select the best talented midfielder. Get the midfield right and experienced functioning and the backline and forward line will be instantly 25% better.

Sheezel LDU Wardlaw McKercher Pick 2 supported by Powell Sympkin Phillips

You don't give up 250+ A grade midfielders for blokes you can get as free agents in 2 or 3 years time when they are needed

Exactly. Getting guys like Parker, Ward and Macrae for peanuts is far more value to us than throwing 2 first round picks at Dan Houston.

Exactly. Getting guys like Parker, Ward and Macrae for peanuts is far more value to us than throwing 2 first round picks at Dan Houston.

Again all depends on the two first rd picks.... 19 and 20 you would jump at for Houston

We need both. Houston for mvt off hb and mv fwd kerch then one of the above for wise head in the midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back