List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

At the time of going for Waite a lot of supporters didn't think so...To old, and injury prone..
Yeap getting Darling a premiership forward and unlike Waite is durable for free as a stop gap is a smart move the more I think about it

It can be no more than a 2 year deal tho

Darling would be a better option at CHF for next season than Pink . This would be for 1 or 2 seasons until our younger players develop. North would not consider paying his whole salary next season. West Coast would have to contribute 150- 200k towards it for the 1st season. He is the sort of big bodied player we need short term thats all...
We definitely need someone to play that role for a couple of years until W Dawson, Comben, Duursma and whoever else we draft as kpf hit their straps but Darling is not the option - we could go Membrey, Day, Lobbe, P Wright, Gowers, Garoni, Riccardi, Gollant just to name a few better options

Also a free agent so no cost in terms of draft capital. And the contract was so low that Carlton didn't even get any FA compo.

Whereas we'd be paying at least $600k and coughing up a pick or player for Darling.

I like the idea of another target up forward, but Darling is not our guy.
Id much prefer we give Logue, Corr and W.Dawson prime time down back. Then we have Larkey, Elmo, Chom and Zurhaar as marking targets.

Choms mobility helps make that work and Elmo i hope gets involved more with more confidence and a greater understanding of his role/ leading patterns.

IF (big if), Choms body doesnt hold up to the extra demands of playing forward after a few years, then he can replace Corr down back and play more of that interceptor role. We'd also have CCJ who could plonk in the square in case of emergency for next season.

Meanwhile i hope we've got Gerreyn and another key forward from the next 2 drafts simmering away in the background.

Also a free agent so no cost in terms of draft capital. And the contract was so low that Carlton didn't even get any FA compo.

Whereas we'd be paying at least $600k and coughing up a pick or player for Darling.

I like the idea of another target up forward, but Darling is not our guy.
When we got Waite it was for a 2 year contract of somewhere around 300-400k and this was in 2015. 9 years on and surely it would equate to 500 - 600k now..

I'll quantify my thinking. There are two main considerations - Larkey and our struggles transitioning from midfield to forward.

We're committed to Larks and he's a one trick pony. Very good at it but purely a lead and mark so the forward structure has to work around this. We have Zurhaar and Duursma as medium forwards and Curtis as someone between a medium and small. We defs need a pure small goal kicking and high pressure forward. Brown completes the puzzle imo. Someone who is physical, can provide a lead up target and not useless when the ball hits the ground. Teams rebound far too easily burning us big time. I don't see his height an issue based on how he plays and would complement our structure.

This logic is also why I wouldn't go for a Membrey or Darling. Darling will complement Larkey but the wrong age profile. We need to be more ambitious.

Don't mind it... and I'll just point out, you don't know that we aren't being ambitious. I'm sure we are being but it's hard to get the quality nibbles when we are where we are

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So because it has been mentioned before are you sayimg i cant post it again. By the way So in the last 4 years which KPF is who is keeping him out.

You said you must be missing something. Read the posts and that will show you are missing something. Last 4 yrs there has been plenty of choice fwd... king chol casboult lukosious burgess Walter Corbett that I can recall

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just had to pop in to see what was going on in here friends. It seems that you guys are about as confused as a lot of us on this one.

What a strange player for Nth to be going after. Young, developing talls sure… but darling?
I dont love him at this stage but he does tick certain boxes....

Experienced at the highest level mature player at the back end of his career to help develop a culture of professionalism. Take away the last few horrid years for the Eagles his experience in very succesful teeam is something our younger list could learn from... Prob not on field

So I'm not saying I'm a yes for Darling, but surely we're not thinking Sam Day is a better option than him. Are we?

Experienced at the highest level mature player at the back end of his career to help develop a culture of professionalism. Take away the last few horrid years for the Eagles his experience in very succesful teeam is something our younger list could learn from... Prob not on field
I tick certain boxes also Ura.

I'm vertical, breathing and have two ears which probably gets me a game in the last few years but we have to lift our expectations.

Hard no for me.

I agree, darling is the interim plug-in for 2 years for us to find/develop another 2 key forwards.

What about matured draftees for that key forward like ben brown, im sure there are enough out there.

Generally, you want to draft your key pos players 3 years ahead of the mids.
Or get them as free agents 3 years after. An elite midfield will make second rate pos players look like superstars.

Every premiership side of the last 20 years has had elite midfielders.

Can't believe i'm so irritated by this imaginary trade this early into the trade season. Better take a spell until after the GF

Didn't this happen last year? I swear Darling's manager just uses North as a hammer to bully the WCE list management around with. I can't really see him moving his family to the other side of the country to deal with the same kind of beltings that the Eagles regularly get.

Would we do 2 for Caddy?

There’s whispers of Essendon trading for Reid, no ****ing idea how they get it done but if they had a chance there would be a fire sale to get picks to trade

Haha NMFC rumoured to be bringing in a mature aged, smart, key positioning forward and we’re up in arms. Beggars can’t be choosers sometimes. Id welcome Darling to our forward line.

Far more proven than Pink/Teakle and hopefully teaches Larkey and Zurrs to stop sharing a bedroom when they lead together.

That’s the role we’d like to see him have back in Perth. Make way for young talls, of which we have quite a few, and a break in case of emergency KPF

If he come over to you guys you’ll have fun following him anyway. It’s always good for a remote at the tv moment

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back