List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

They could very well end up with picks 1,2,3 if the Tigers came for our pick with a decent trade.
That would allow them to hedge their bets

They would need to pay us serious overs tho for pick 2

Like pick 6 and 9 for 2 might not even be enough

To be fair no one knew what Harry would be, looking back I was keen on Tsatas & Wardlaw. Imagine we missed out on Harry after all the crap this club has been through 😅
A couple of draft watchers were big on Harry.

Maybe Souup and roos_fanatic08? At least one of them speculated that he could be as good as he turned out to be in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can believe media bathwater about draft depth, generational talents, blah blah, but here's the actual statistical facts

View attachment 2100431
So you reckon pick 7 and 9 instead?

I agree top five certainly looks better than bottom five in terms of games played but between them picks six and nine play more games than pick 2 and pick seven and nine play nearly 100 more games between them. And we're stretching the point here using average games played alone as the basis for judging how we value this years draft.

For me the question is:

Do 150 games from one of the top three picks in this draft give us more value than 200-240 games from two players fill definite needs given how even it is?

A couple of draft watchers were big on Harry.

Maybe Souup and roos_fanatic08? At least one of them speculated that he could be as good as he turned out to be in the middle.
Twomey had in his final guide:
Ashcroft
Wardlaw
Tsatas
Sheezel

His Phantom was:
Cadman
Ashcroft (bid)
Sheezel
Wardlaw.

Personally, if we had the picks and didn't nominate, i would have taken all three Sandy Dragon boys in 22!

So if they have 1 and 3, not sure why they would pay serious overs for pick 2

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Because to get picks 1,2,3 Richmond could get the 2 best mids and the best KPP player..what a start to a rebuild!!

Pick 13 averaging 118 games is pretty impressive as well.
More than pick four, who averages 112 games.

BTW Here are some historical pick fours:

Peter Matera, Justin Leppitsch, Matthew Pavlich, Josh Kennedy, Andrew Gaff, Marcus Bontempelli, Clayton Oliver, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Nick Daicos.

Some of the best players in the game either now or of their era.

Last two years were George Wardlaw and Zane Duursma.

It also includes such names as Cale Morten, Tambling, Toumpas and the inimitable Farren Ray as well as Ben Ainsworth and Logan McDonald recently (those two not bad players but could have gone in the top 20 for what they show.)

So some real hits and misses with pick 4. And a good chance that five of the best mids of the late 2010s/2020s were picked there.

Twomey had in his final guide:
Ashcroft
Wardlaw
Tsatas
Sheezel

His Phantom was:
Cadman
Ashcroft (bid)
Sheezel
Wardlaw.

Personally, if we had the picks and didn't nominate, i would have taken all three Sandy Dragon boys in 22!

Because to get picks 1,2,3 Richmond could get the 2 best mids and the best KPP player..what a start to a rebuild!!

It's not a draft where it's worth paying overs for though

Yeah, nah.

There's a pretty good correlation between where you were taken in the draft and how many Brownlow votes earned, and the likelihood of being an All-Australian.

High draft picks play more games because they are better players.

That's a great resource.

Obviously higher draft picks are more likely to be better players, my point was about them being given time for that potential to be realised. If you are throwing darts at a board you are more likely to draft players that go on to have a longer career with higher picks simply due to having a larger pool available to you and the sunk cost associated, but that doesn't mean individually they have better careers simply because they were high picks. It's a case by case basis because there are still plenty of duds mixed in with the superstars.

A quick skim of the Brownlow votes by draft pick is interesting reading. Picks 1 & 2 seem to have a more even spread of votes, though pick 1's average is inflated by the period between 2000-2006 with guys like Riewoldt, Hodge, Cooney, Murphy etc. as the only guys close to or above 100 votes. Since 2006 though there have only been two number 1 picks that have accrued more than 50 brownlow votes in their careers (so far).
Similarly with pick 2 you have the average inflated by Lappin, Cotchin, Kelly, Petracca, with Wells & Coniglio in the 70's. Though only Cotchin has over 100 votes.
Pick 3 is a very interesting case though as only two players have tallied more than 100 Brownlow votes, those being Dustin Martin and Chris Judd who have over 200 each. The next best (and only remaining players on the list with over 50 votes) are Shannon Grant & Ryan Griffen.

I'm not going to go over every single pick with a fine toothed comb but hopefully you get my point.

They could very well end up with picks 1,2,3 if the Tigers came for our pick with a decent trade.

Would have to be a pretty decent haul for us to give up not only the pick on face value, but any leverage that comes with being the only club preventing Richmond from having a complete monopoly on the top 3 of the draft.

It's not a draft where it's worth paying overs for though

I agree, i don't think the market is going to be there for Pick 2 this year. Not sure the offers we get for it will be in inline with supporters expectations. I think best scenario will be taking best available at pick 2, and using our F2 to hopefully move our pick 22 up into a mid-late first round pick where can look at filling a need (e.g. KPP, small fwd/defender)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back