List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you have this the wrong way around. Northball, or whatever you want to call it, had no chance of standing up in finals. It requires too much precision in disposal, invites pressure, and you get punished for every mistake.

Hawthorn's style is a development on that which won Richmond three flags. Both require a gang of hard running small forwards. Instead of Richmond's forward handball into space, Hawthorn are using the width of the ground and diagonal kicks into space. Both create chaos and are hard to defend against while allowing time for you to set up behind the ball if you turn it over. It should be fine. Though I hope the Dogs beat them.
Beat me to it

Hey guys I come in peace .

Darling has been told we will be playing the next generation of our forward line and he will be playing state league. We would probably get him to 300 games but that is about it .

Tall forwards we are very well stocked and have young guys who need games pumped into them and allen/waterman as the main 2 .

As for going to North? Its not a salary dump . We will struggle to hit the salary floor next season .

He is very competitive, his body is in great knick and he probably feels he has at least 2 seasons left .

He has spent his career behind Kennedy playing that 2nd forward role . He has kicked 70 goals more than tom lynch from the same draft.

What he could offer North?

He is still a good forward , good on a straight lead and dead eye for goal . He is a good i50 pressure player and bloody strong in 1 0n 1s . He is also a very good trainer , sets standards on the track and professional in his approach to football.

His value is minimal it would be more that we let him go somewhere he can play at AFL level .

Kinda sounds like exactly what we need.

I think you have this the wrong way around. Northball, or whatever you want to call it, had no chance of standing up in finals. It requires too much precision in disposal, invites pressure, and you get punished for every mistake.

Hawthorn's style is a development on that which won Richmond three flags. Both require a gang of hard running small forwards. Instead of Richmond's forward handball into space, Hawthorn are using the width of the ground and diagonal kicks into space. Both create chaos and are hard to defend against while allowing time for you to set up behind the ball if you turn it over. It should be fine. Though I hope the Dogs beat them.
The standing the mark rule has opened up play for those diagonal kicks and one of the reasons the game is even more reliant on speed, skill and the trifecta endurance :)

Logan sucks. Kicked 34 goals in the best offensive team in years and there were a ton of cheap over the top ones in there. Has no physical presence.
And the Swans have one of their Doctors who specializes in the Heimlich Maneuver around him anytime he has a chance to win the match of his boot. So overrated and surprised Swans extended his contract.

Caddy, Cadman, Van Rooyen, McDonald, Tilthorpe, and Amiss all key forwards that we had the opportunity to draft over the last 4 seasons but passed on due to this obsession with midfielders. I don't know where Darling is at with his footy. I haven't watched the Eagles, it's been hard enough watching one teams shiteness let alone two. This is where we are at due to who we have decided not to draft or even trade for (see Chol, 2MP Wright, McDonald, to name just a few.) It is so frustrating, Larkey has needed proper support in the form of another key forward since the start of 2021! Almost 5 years on and here we are looking at giving Darling the opportunity to top up his superannuation before retirement. Some stupid planning or non planning has happened in our list management during this time.

Caddy, Cadman, Van Rooyen, McDonald, Tilthorpe, and Amiss all key forwards that we had the opportunity to draft over the last 4 seasons but passed on due to this obsession with midfielders. I don't know where Darling is at with his footy. I haven't watched the Eagles, it's been hard enough watching one teams shiteness let alone two. This is where we are at due to who we have decided not to draft or even trade for (see Chol, 2MP Wright, McDonald, to name just a few.) It is so frustrating, Larkey has needed proper support in the form of another key forward since the start of 2021! Almost 5 years on and here we are looking at giving Darling the opportunity to top up his superannuation before retirement. Some stupid planning or non planning has happened in our list management during this time.
Ehh...

Caddy - we took Duursma (a forward) and McKercher (a much much better player) over him.
Cadman - we took Sheezel (please don't say this was a bad pick) and the Wardlaw trade wouldn't have happened if we were taking Cadman, so it was Sheezel or Cadman.
Thilthorpe - nope, we didn't take a mid over him
Amiss - we took JHF at pick 1 and Amiss wasn't in the discussion. Van Rooyen was pick 19 in the same draft.

So, really, it's just McDonald vs Phillips, again. Which is the silliest argument because it's a near certainly that McDonald wouldn't have stuck around here if we drafted him.

Hey guys I come in peace .

Darling has been told we will be playing the next generation of our forward line and he will be playing state league. We would probably get him to 300 games but that is about it .

Tall forwards we are very well stocked and have young guys who need games pumped into them and allen/waterman as the main 2 .

As for going to North? Its not a salary dump . We will struggle to hit the salary floor next season .

He is very competitive, his body is in great knick and he probably feels he has at least 2 seasons left .

He has spent his career behind Kennedy playing that 2nd forward role . He has kicked 70 goals more than tom lynch from the same draft.

What he could offer North?

He is still a good forward , good on a straight lead and dead eye for goal . He is a good i50 pressure player and bloody strong in 1 0n 1s . He is also a very good trainer , sets standards on the track and professional in his approach to football.

His value is minimal it would be more that we let him go somewhere he can play at AFL level .
Thanks Colin Young, but no thanks..

The worst was pat walker over Josh treacy in the rookie draft

I was hoping at the time we took treacy but no we needed another small vanilla utility

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ehh...

Caddy - we took Duursma (a forward) and McKercher (a much much better player) over him.
Cadman - we took Sheezel (please don't say this was a bad pick) and the Wardlaw trade wouldn't have happened if we were taking Cadman, so it was Sheezel or Cadman.
Thilthorpe - nope, we didn't take a mid over him
Amiss - we took JHF at pick 1 and Amiss wasn't in the discussion. Van Rooyen was pick 19 in the same draft.

So, really, it's just McDonald vs Phillips, again. Which is the silliest argument because it's a near certainly that McDonald wouldn't have stuck around here if we drafted him.
I agree in terms of the very top of the draft.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great post other than we couldn’t pick most of them 🧐

Let's see this so called game plan get picked apart and destroyed under the pressure of finals football.

Anyone falling for the so called Hawthorm game plan is delusional. It's nothing that hasn't been tried every 2 or 3 years over the last 40.

This front running kick it into space relies on 'cheating squibs' running forward of the ball, it looks good against average sides but will wilt against a premier midfield wh9 stops them getting there hands on it.

No side has ever ever had any success from it

Its a fools gold.

Hawthorn are a 8-14 side and they will get exposed like every other side has that has gone down this path over the last 40 years

When Clarkson talks about identifying players and a game style that stands up under 4 weeks of finals pressure .

People need to listen
Let me summarise what you have just written...

Hawthorn are shit and Mitchell can't coach - North are good and with Clarko we are a bees dick away from a flag.

There is fools gold and then there are just genuine fools. And to think you probably actually believe the post you have written.

The arguments in here perfectly summarise the flaw in the strategy of “midfield first, we can pick up gun KPFs later”.

Perhaps if we were Collingwood, Carlton, West Coast or Adelaide.

fair enough and not the first time I've heard that comment, which are the KP " guns" we chose to ignore at the drafts.

Edit : I seen em now.

Caddy not a KPF
Cadman rather Sheezel
Van Rooyen we took JHFF - didn't have an opportunity to draft Van Rooyen
McDonald - isn't a KP
Tilthorpe went before our pick
Amiss - again we took JHFF.

Sheesh people, the only player we could have taken is McDonald and he's fairly shit tbh.

Last edited:
Kinda sounds like exactly what we need.
He has been a very good mentor to Allen, waterman and the young guys Jack Williams and Archer Reid .

He knows how a forward line functions with leading patterns to open space up for his team mates and positioning to bring the ball to ground to our advantage.

He has spent the last few years sacrificing his own game to take a KPD away from Allen/waterman giving them space to operate 1 vs 1 .

If he goes to North you have a ripper of a bloke and an ultimate team player who is unfortunately at the end of his career but still has good footy left .

I would be happy to keep him but I don't think he is happy to play wafl even though he is still probably better than the young guys who need afl experience.

Anyway you will probably get him for almost nothing maybe a late pick we can use for our NGA kid

Of the 9 forwards mentioned there was only one we couldn't directly pick - Thilthorp.
Cadman pick 1 - we had picks 2/3
Caddy pick 9 - no one was reaching at pick 2/3

Van rooyen and amiss instead of Judas would of been received well
Use logic not hindsight

Cadman pick 1 - we had picks 2/3
Caddy pick 9 - no one was reaching at pick 2/3

Van rooyen and amiss instead of Judas would of been received well
Use logic not hindsight
You literally said we had no chance to get most of those those players mentioned - and I answered that we have the chance to get all of them (including Cadman as we facilitated the deal for him to be chosen at 1) except Thilthorpe.

What you said was false - whether we would have done those deals is a different issue - you have been called out and now you are trying to double down.

Best you leave it here and in future do some research before you post.

You literally said we had no chance to get most of those those players mentioned - and I answered that we have the chance to get all of them (including Cadman as we facilitated the deal for him to be chosen at 1) except Thilthorpe.

What you said was false - whether we would have done those deals is a different issue - you have been called out and now you are trying to double down.

Best you leave it here and in future do some research before you post.
Logan McDonald says hi 👋

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back