List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Just don’t get it with Darling. Mustn’t be that good of a leader considering, across his career he has only spent a few years in WC leadership group.

If he was 28 and could contribute for more than 12 months I’d be all for it. But realistically his football output has been on a pretty decent decline over the last few years.

We desperately need contested marking options inside forward 50, not more lead up mid sized forwards (which is exactly what he is now).

Another medium forward to go with Ford, Duursma, Zurhaar, Curtis, Harvey, George, Taylor.

At this point it feels like Brady made some drunken bet when he arrived that he could construct a premiership side with nothing but half-forward flankers.

If only we were one step towards a premiership.
Makes no sense to me.

We'd be better off targeting his teammate Peter Wright. Brad Scott's gone off him and good luck once that happens.

He'd be an upgrade on big Teak if we can stomach the 3 years left on his contract.

Another player who'd I'd look at is Brandon Parfitt.

He can play. 27 next year. 100 plus games experience, premiership player and out of contract.

Would spread the midfield load and take some of the stress off George, Kerch and Harry as they further develop.

We are far, far too shit as a football club and an organisation to be turning up our noses at an elite trainer who has played 300 games and kicked 532 goals.

Darling 532

Larkey 237
Zurhaar 160
Curtis 55
Duursma 9
Total 461

Imagine how nice it would be for any other young 18 year old key forward drafted (Gerreyn, or Armstrong, or Sims, or whoever) to have a genuine veteran who has been there and done that to work with. Imagine how nice it would be to have (and this is why I was pretty excited about the Membrey rumours) a second forward dragging the second best defender away from Larkey's space. We have all posted pretty hard about the idea that we just dump it on Larkey's head and hope; imagine if theres another genuine threat (no disrespect to Teakle or Pink) to kick to that defenders have to worry about.

We have all complained that there appear to be no standards set by leaders. Let's go get some leaders to help Sheezel set those standards. Who cares if hes trying to top up his super, who cares if he kicks 13 goals for the season. If it means Larkey kicks 60 instead of 48 or Zurhaar kicks 40 instead of 24, I'm all for it.

A starving man isn't turning his nose up at basic bread and water. And brother we are starving

We are far, far too shit as a football club and an organisation to be turning up our noses at an elite trainer who has played 300 games and kicked 532 goals.

Darling 532

Larkey 237
Zurhaar 160
Curtis 55
Duursma 9
Total 461

Imagine how nice it would be for any other young 18 year old key forward drafted (Gerreyn, or Armstrong, or Sims, or whoever) to have a genuine veteran who has been there and done that to work with. Imagine how nice it would be to have (and this is why I was pretty excited about the Membrey rumours) a second forward dragging the second best defender away from Larkey's space. We have all posted pretty hard about the idea that we just dump it on Larkey's head and hope; imagine if theres another genuine threat (no disrespect to Teakle or Pink) to kick to that defenders have to worry about.

We have all complained that there appear to be no standards set by leaders. Let's go get some leaders to help Sheezel set those standards. Who cares if hes trying to top up his super, who cares if he kicks 13 goals for the season. If it means Larkey kicks 60 instead of 48 or Zurhaar kicks 40 instead of 24, I'm all for it.

A starving man isn't turning his nose up at basic bread and water. And brother we are starving

Yep it’s like any mature we get in the midfield

Buffering Buffer Festival GIF by Corey Vidal

Darling 532

Larkey 237
Zurhaar 160
Curtis 55
Duursma 9
Total 461

Best post ever!

He wanted a list of available players. I gave him one.

Do you know all the offers and contract terms from NM of the listed players? How do you know whether they were realistically gettable?

Every draftable player was a realistic and actionable pick. We've had never-ending top 5 draft picks to negotiate multiple trades, it's just our list manager was ultra focused on mids instead of a good balanced list, and we have 5 bottom 2 finishes to show for it.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
You're the one who is throwing out criticism because the club didn't acquire your list of "available" players. It's on you to know that the offers weren't enough.

You expect me to prove that your imaginary scenarios aren't true?

And criticising the club for not trading pick 1 to get Amiss, or not taking Cadman over Sheezel... It's just silliness.

We have Larkey and Comben as KPFs next season. That's pretty good. Larkey was AA last year. Some more depth would be nice but it's not something that needed to be addressed with top 3 draft picks.

Darling 532

Larkey 237
Zurhaar 160
Curtis 55
Duursma 9
Total 461

Good post except for the we are shit bit. We are not and never will be shit regardless of how well we are going on field.

Darling 532

Larkey 237
Zurhaar 160
Curtis 55
Duursma 9
Total 461

As much as we need off field leaders we need guys who can actually contribute just as much on field too. He is on the decline and he’ll be lucky to kick 25 goals next year.

I also think Darling’s leadership is being overrated…near 300 game player and only spent a couple of years in WC leadership group.

Darling avg’d 10 disposals, 3.2 marks, 2.9 tackles and kicked 22 goals. In all honesty I think if we had of played Greenwood at CHF this year he would’ve gone close to matching that output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as we need off field leaders we need guys who can actually contribute just as much on field too. He is on the decline and he’ll be lucky to kick 25 goals next year.

I also think Darling’s leadership is being overrated…near 300 game player and only spent a couple of years in WC leadership group.

Darling avg’d 10 disposals, 3.2 marks, 2.9 tackles and kicked 22 goals. In all honesty I think if we had of played Greenwood at CHF this year he would’ve gone close to matching that output.
Reminds me of Goldstein- you'd be getting an accomplished older player but not a noted leader despite their seniority.

Makes no sense to me.

We'd be better off targeting his teammate Peter Wright. Brad Scott's gone off him and good luck once that happens.

He'd be an upgrade on big Teak if we can stomach the 3 years left on his contract.

Another player who'd I'd look at is Brandon Parfitt.

He can play. 27 next year. 100 plus games experience, premiership player and out of contract.

Would spread the midfield load and take some of the stress off George, Kerch and Harry as they further develop.

Parfitt barely got a game in Geelong's thin midfield. Don't see how he plays ahead of any of our developing kids who all need midfield time.

The entire game is speed, spread and endurance yet we keep thinking our problems will be solved with more slugs particularly old ones.

The entire game is speed, spread and endurance yet we keep thinking our problems will be solved with more slugs particularly old ones.
Thats the game. Have a look at the coaches votes best player. An endurance, quick pacey outside cat. Thats the quintessential, nuts and bolts modern AFL footballer. Thats it. Team of them and you win.

Thats the game. Have a look at the coaches votes best player. An endurance, quick pacey outside cat. Thats the quintessential, nuts and bolts modern AFL footballer. Thats it. Team of them and you win.
Cat agility not cat stevens im assuming?

The game has simply gone that way as the AFL continues to look for ways to cut out congestion. The man on the mark rule, the 6,6,6 rule and even the rules around tackling make it near impossible to smash those types into next week. So they flourish.

Still need some big cats to get it moving your way out of congestion, but yeah every player on the list needs to be running beasts.

It depends what he's brought in for.

If we're giving up a decent pick and bringing him in to be our best 22 CHF and guaranteed a spot every week then, yes, it would be a mistake.

But if we're getting him for free and the goal is just to have another experienced player around who can set standards and be KPF depth then I like the move.

Last year we attempted to fix our KPD issues by bringing in a top state league’r, someone we saw promise from on the Richmond list, first rounder with big upside, and moving a perennial injured forward back. It took the full year but we seem to have locked in what our best three and found a depth player for the position plus a promising kid for the future.

I hope we do something in the same vein this year which will see the club take multiple routes to sure-up our KPF stocks.
I can see us look at most of the following options an experienced campaigner, a state leaguer, someone promising from another list, a kid from the draft and continue to develop Malley, Teakle, and Pink.

Point is I don’t think we will pinning all our hopes on Darling if a trade did happen.

It depends what he's brought in for.

If we're giving up a decent pick and bringing him in to be our best 22 CHF and guaranteed a spot every week then, yes, it would be a mistake.

But if we're getting him for free and the goal is just to have another experienced player around who can set standards and be KPF depth then I like the move.

I don’t care what anyone says the best leadership, is impact on the field. That’s why guys like Hodge & Lewis were such good buys, because they were still able to contribute and have a real impact. Blokes that are past it and can’t contribute on field are just taking up list spots.

If we want Darling for the off field stuff then recruit him in a development role.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back