List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Cadman, averaged 1.2 goals a game. Giants were a contender before they got him and they have a massive leg up due to the academy system.

Caddy, averaged 0.9 goals a game. Bombers weren't a contend and didn't make the finals this year.

Van Rooyen, 1.4 goals a game. Dees were a contended when they got him but have imploded this year, ended 14th. No Petracca and on the bender Oliver and they finish 14th? So how impactful is the key forward when you can't get the ball forward with any kind of system?

McDonald 1.5 goals a game. Swans had a crazy good list before they got him and a super strong midfield.

Tilthorpe- small sample size, only played the last 7 games, 2.1g average... Crows finished bottom 4 largely because their midfield isn't any good.

Amiss-1.6 goals a game. They have a strong midfield but didn't make the finals.

Out of all of these forward the only two that will see finals this year are from the Sydney clubs that have a massive academy advantage so they can afford to roll the dice on key forwards.

I think the vast majority of goals come from marks on the lead, the only reason Larkey averages 2.0 goals a game is because we go to him with the vast majority of inside 50s, he benefits from the saturation of delivery, when he doesn't lead he doesn't kick shit. If you can hit Larkey on the lead, you can hit anyone on the lead, you don't need to be 196cm+, Richmond at their best only had Riewoldt up forward and the rest were small/medium forwards, their inside 50 deliver was just top notch.

Our biggest issue is who takes the kicks inside 50 and what proportion of them lead to goal assists, we continually put the ball into the hands of guys who can't kick and they feel they have the license to mongrel the ball inside 50. That is on Clarkson and the assistant coaches.

LDU 122 I50s/13 (9.38)
Simpkin 76/10 (7.60)
Sheezel 75/20 (3.75)
Zurhaar 68/13 (5.23)
Powell 68/13 (5.23)
Scott 65/8 (8.13)
Wardlaw 62/10 (6.2)
Xerri 50/6 (8.3)
Curtis 45/14 (3.21)
Tucker 43/6 (7.16)
Stephenson 30/3 (10)
Larkey 30/7 (4.29)
McKercher 25/3 (8.3)
Fisher 22/0 Shithouse
Shiels 21/4 (5.25)
Teakle 21/1 (21)
Ford 19/6 (4.9)
Phillips 19/4 (4.75)
Duursma 16/2 (8.0)
Corr 14/1 (14)
Drury 14/1 (14)
Pink 14/4 (3.5)
Lazarro 13/6 (2.16)
Comben 11/1 (11)
Hansen 9/2 (4.5)
Taylor 8/4 (2.0)
Dawson 6/1 (6.0)
Archer 3
Bergman 2
CCJ 2/2 (1.0)
Dawson W. 1
Logue 1

Those with small sample sizes could just come down to luck, but LDU's kicking inside 50 has become a liability, he tries to stab a perfect pass and muffs it way too high a percentage, someone like Sheezel has the ability to just put a soft kick to advantage, it is something he can execute even under pressure.

We need to stop getting LDU and Simpkin shanking the ball inside 50 and look to get the ball into Sheezel's hands, I think guys like Curtis, Zurhaar and Duursma have the potential to produce plenty of goals if we we start to play with more system and look to take advantage of the strengths we have. We obviously have players who can hit that passes inside the forward 50 but atm they represent a minority of our inside 50s.
Lovely analysis Tas - out of curiosity Brady wanted to know what table you accessed this from? 😎

Would be interesting to see these stats for the incoming draft picks + any trade target we are thinking about. No use adding to an existing problem. Would love to see how Boomer ranked here as well if they had those stats from his career. To my eye he rarely missed a target and wasted a I50.

What a time to be alive for Player Manager's..

Just jump straight on the phone to Tommy the talking Tumbleweed and tell him what fantasy dollars/terms rival clubs are prepared to pay their player (while they're negotiating a new deal with the current club) so he can openly spruik it on his talk back shows.

Guaranteed to get your player a few more zero's added to his contract extension and only costs a 50c phone call..

The 3 years were for Alex Davies not Mac Andrews..l'd be offering Dairling 2 with a trigger for an extra year..

Well, you've gone completely nuts! I was going to say he's got 12 months left in him, but even that's a massive stretch.

There's a reason why literally no other club is putting up their hand for him. Even West Coast would be happy to see him go I suspect.

Speaking of the other Reid, it would be great to turn his head then offer WC #2 + R2 + F2. If they want we can swap F1s for a mutual death ride too.

Make it happen Round 24 2023.
Lol, to get WCE to even consider it for a second would need to be pick 2 this year, first pick next year, our second round this year and second next year.

Last year all they would consider and I know this for a absolute fact was pick 2 and 3 and one of our teen picks. Even then it was unlikely. That is 100% fact.

His stocks have gone up since then.

Winning that GC game was the dumbest thing I have ever seen this club do and that’s saying something.

Lol, to get WCE to even consider it for a second would need to be pick 2 this year, first pick next year, our second round this year and second next year.

Last year all they would consider and I know this for a absolute fact was pick 2 and 3 and one of our teen picks. Even then it was unlikely. That is 100% fact.

Winning that GC game was the dumbest thing I have ever seen this club do and that’s saying something.
It was admittedly far fetched.

The only it goes near reality is if another Vic club has them genuinely spooked for the end of his contract and his manager refuses to talk.

Having a top 2 pick as the core of a deal is one of the few openers that could work.

If they countered with #2 + F1 with them giving us some 2nd rounders back I'd consider it..

Yeh I stomached the "play for pride" 2023 thing until I saw how we treated the end of 2024.

A forwardline rotation of Larkey, Zurharr, Darling, Teakle, Rosas, Curtis, Hansen, Durrsma with Simpkin and Parker rotating through would be a very capable scoring machine.
Combine that with a midfield/wing rotation of LDU, Sheez, Wardlaw, Parker, Mckercher Scott and Simpkin.
And a backline rotation of Logue, Corr, Comben, Arch, Goater, Powell and McDonald.
I think with those 3 inclusions in Darling, Rosas and Parker we could definitely climb out of the bottom 4.

Last edited:
A forwardline rotation of Larkey, Zurharr, Darling, Teakle, Rosas, Curtis, Simpkin, Hansen, Durrsma with Simpkin and Parker rotating through would be a very capable scoring machine.
Combine that with a midfield/wing rotation of LDU, Sheez, Wardlaw, Parker, Mckercher Scott and Simpkin.
And a backline rotation of Logue, Corr, Comben, Arch, Goater, Powell and McDonald.
I think with those 3 inclusions in Darling, Rosas and Parker we could definitely climb out of the bottom 4.
You lost me at the 3rd Simpkin and the 1st McDonald. I presume you're saving Xerri for the subs role? :-D

You lost me at the 3rd Simpkin and the 1st McDonald. I presume you're saving Xerri for the subs role? :-D
Haha!! Simpkin mentioned twice as a midfielder who rotates forward or vice versa. As much as many of us wish him gone McDonald will play. Xerri starting ruck for the next 8 years - I honestly thought that went without saying!!

Haha!! Simpkin mentioned twice as a midfielder who rotates forward or vice versa. As much as many of us wish him gone McDonald will play. Xerri starting ruck for the next 8 years - I honestly thought that went without saying!!
Just teasing .... you frightened me with all of those Simpkinseses

Can people please get it out of their thick skulls, that Harley would make any difference to our situation.
GC couldn't be bothered, so we had an easy kill. Not sure how you can out-tank a team that isn't trying.

Our players not trying against the Dogs and Hawks this year, doesn't make tanking OK. We just have a playing group of soft campaigners that only perform when it's easy, like round 24 last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it was Clarko that was not able to adapt.
Second this.

Clarko can try many things, but we're so flaky it's impossible to gauge what direction this team is going. It would be much easier to assess if we weren't so hopeless for most of the year. Clarko isn't going to cling to scraps of good plays for much longer.

If this team is to move forward, it needs to return the favour of putting out a four-quarter effort or at least breakeven with the teams just above us on a more consistent basis. The coaching lineup has seen success before, why does it alluva sudden become the microscope of criticism after one year? When do the playing group take some of that responsibility?

We are so quick to go after the coaches but throughout this year I could tell the players weren't doing as instructed and weren't pulling their weight. I can tell from the difference in play style, the difference in application and the fact the same coaches have come from successful systems with a more recognisable brand of footy. We are so behind in that aspect it is actually not funny. The major failings of this team fall on the players. They have no excuses now.

If we are in the same position next year, or start the season poorly, then the players simply don't want to put in. They are more than capable of changing the narrative but the desire isn't there yet.

Essendon are going to go hard for the good mature aged state HBs and players like buddarick this year.

Lester from Lions worth a look? Always kinda notice the name bobbing up in games but he is 32 years old. Flambeed?
Marchbank from Blues is a bit injury prone but could be good depth as a KPD. Flambeed?
Rosas or Konstanty as small forward would be a good addition.
Davies or Buderick from GC could be some other options.
Anybody who is competent and does their role with effort and intensity. Selection pressure won't be a bad thing either.

Lester from Lions worth a look? Always kinda notice the name bobbing up in games but he is 32 years old. Flambeed?
Marchbank from Blues is a bit injury prone but could be good depth as a KPD. Flambeed?
Rosas or Konstanty as small forward would be a good addition.
Davies or Buderick from GC could be some other options.
Anybody who is competent and does their role with effort and intensity. Selection pressure won't be a bad thing either.
I like Konstanty as an uncontracted small forward, but he is only 19yo, and yet to play a game, so probably not in the discussions

Tom Morris reporting that a Victorian club has tabled an offer to Mac Andrew, not for this year but next year when his contract at the Suns comes to an end.

1.5m per year for 8 years.

He wasn't sure which club it was. North, Saints, Essendon and Hawthorn were mentioned as being the likely players.
I think out of that list we probably have the biggest need and the biggest bank balance so wouldn't be surprised if it was us.

Prob saints, we don't give these ridiculous about unless they are premium players.

If it's a interstate team, then it's adelaide...

I like Konstanty as an uncontracted small forward, but he is only 19yo, and yet to play a game, so probably not in the discussions

On the contrary, I reckon he will be in the discussions. We were keen on him draft year but went the one or couple before our pick I think... totally diff player to Rosas room for both and depth and cheap

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No doubt quality i50s makes a huge difference but id argue a big part of it how we transition. i50s after going down the line makes it far easier to defend and allows time for numbers to drift back.

But if we cut through the middle we often turn over due to skills or players unable to get separation and overlap. Both make hitting the target far easier, and then gives us a fwds a much better chance.

Then comes the fwd pressure for repeat entries and stopping ourselves being torched on transition.

I agree.

I think we have "gone down the line" as a result of being afraid of turning over the ball. In most games where we have been done badly, it is usually our horrific turnovers and errors that are the bulk of the problem.

You are never going to get anywhere playing that way though.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back