List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Darling won’t be the issue,
I doubt Zurhaar, Duursma, Larkey would be able to put in the workrate required, I’m only going off past experience here.
I think Darling will slow the leakage from our forward 50 a little bit. If we get him i reckon that would be part of the reason we chased him. I think he's done as a genuine forward target tho he might provide something oppo defenders have to concentrate on.

I think Darling will slow the leakage from our forward 50 a little bit. If we get him i reckon that would be part of the reason we chased him. I think he's done as a genuine forward target tho he might provide something oppo defenders have to concentrate on.
If we go after Darling, I hope Marley and co are the biggest beneficiaries. Regardless of size he plays like a key forward.
That’s the only reason, we need him, for the other six days a week.

Is there a leadership/educational aspect to it? Eg. Could he play half VFL /half AFL and mentor our young forwards. Unsure whether or not he has those qualities.

But that's when the club needs its supporters the most ferbs when the chips are down regardless of how long the chips have been down for. Its easy to be a supporter when you are winning all the time its when your not is the true character of a real supporter.

With all due respect, being a supporter consists of more than just blindly applauding every single decision the club makes, and to be honest implying that anybody doing otherwise isn't a true supporter (oh you're a NMFC fan? ok name 5 of their albums) is such a simple minded take that I hope it was just something you said without thinking rather than the ignorantly disrespectful comment it comes across as.

I question the direction of our club and some of the decisions that have been made and continue to be made. I also attend basically every game I am able, cheer on the boys loudly, get angry when we get shafted by the umpires, get despondent when we lose, get jubilant when we win, all because my emotional investment in the club is extremely high. The fact that I (and all of us on here) regularly take time out of our days not just to visit, but also engage in heated discussion about NMFC on a dumb footy forum should be a testament to just how deep that investment is.

So respectfully, your opinion about what constitutes a 'real supporter' can GAGF.

This thread is like getting repeatedly kicked to the groin.

Bad Day That Hurt GIF by Tim Poulton

With all due respect, being a supporter consists of more than just blindly applauding every single decision the club makes, and to be honest implying that anybody doing otherwise isn't a true supporter (oh you're a NMFC fan? ok name 5 of their albums) is such a simple minded take that I hope it was just something you said without thinking rather than the ignorantly disrespectful comment it comes across as.

I question the direction of our club and some of the decisions that have been made and continue to be made. I also attend basically every game I am able, cheer on the boys loudly, get angry when we get shafted by the umpires, get despondent when we lose, get jubilant when we win, all because my emotional investment in the club is extremely high. The fact that I (and all of us on here) regularly take time out of our days not just to visit, but also engage in heated discussion about NMFC on a dumb footy forum should be a testament to just how deep that investment is.

So respectfully, your opinion about what constitutes a 'real supporter' can GAGF.
Another happy customer. If you read most of my posts i have aways said its fine to question and get upset with something but its the personal abuse to the club and players that i find very disrespectable just like when you say GAGF just cause you don't agree with me very grown up of you. But i suppose its hard for some to respect.

We should have a healthy tall backline returning next year: Logue - W.Dawson - K.Dawson - Corr.

That sends Comben forward most weeks to help Larkey out structurally, and it has me thinking why the Darling recruitment is apparently on the cards.

It could be that Larks has basically had to raise himself as a developing key forward, with plenty of faults creeping into his game as a result.

LDU and Jy did their apprenticeships at the feet of Ben Cunnington, Jack Ziebell and Shaun Higgins - and you can see it.

McDonald, for all his faults, received his learnings from Robbie Tarrant, Mick Firrito and Scotty Thompson.

Who have Larkey and Zurhaar had to learn from? BBB for a season or two, who had eerily similar strengths and weaknesses to Larks, while Zurhaar has basically been allowed to cruise around doing as he pleases.

I can't help but think we've missed a veteran leader in the forward line that demands a certain standard of leading, blocking, training, adhering to coaches instructions, body composition etc., and we're trying to correct that now.

When we hopefully draft an elite key forward this year, is anyone here thinking thank God we've got Nick Larkey to teach them everything they'll ever need to know?

Is there a leadership/educational aspect to it? Eg. Could he play half VFL /half AFL and mentor our young forwards. Unsure whether or not he has those qualities.
Honestly dunno but wouldn't think so.

Another happy customer. If you read most of my posts i have aways said its fine to question and get upset with something but its the personal abuse to the club and players that i find very disrespectable just like when you say GAGF just cause you don't agree with me very grown up of you. But i suppose its hard for some to respect.

Yes it's much more grown up to claim the moral high ground over everyone else for god knows what reason other than feeling like you have to white knight for the club because of those darn fake fans. Well done.

It's much more respectful to outright dismiss anyone who has even a slightly different view, you're right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good

Whenever Calsher Dear gets interviewed all he says is how important Gunston has been for his development. Same with Breust. I understand that a lot of what makes Hawthorn successful is the ability to move the footy quickly and into space, but I just don't think the potential impact of Darling on Larkey and whichever KPF we draft (if we draft one) can be understated.

We all said the same thing about Waite

Old, cooked, etc he revitalised our forward line

Yes it's much more grown up to claim the moral high ground over everyone else for god knows what reason other than feeling like you have to white knight for the club because of those darn fake fans. Well done.

It's much more respectful to outright dismiss anyone who has even a slightly different view, you're right.
Misunderstanding, we all love the club lets focus on the ball.

I'm glad you agree with me You have finally seen the light.

Here's the thing about Jack Darling. He's not the player he was, but he was a helluva player. It's not that he's kicked 530 odd goals as a key forward, It's that he's kicked 530 odd goals as the 2nd banana.
The worst part about our games is watching our forwards all get in each other's way and blocking each other's leading lanes, then having the midfield bomb it in the general direction of Larkey every single time. Darling might only kick 25 goals, but if he can help Larkey kick an extra 20 he's worth his weight in gold. Waterman and Oscar Allan have both benefited from having him in the forward line with them over the past 2 years.

Honestly tho, if all he does is tackle that will improve our forward line.
I would prefer the ‘old’ Clarko to make our current and future forwards completely accountable for forward pressure instead of getting a 32 year old from the second worst side over the past 3 years.

On a side note (not directed at you Ferbs), anyone comparing getting Darling with the recruitment of Waite is that far off it it’s not funny..

Not a massive fan of the Darling move but don't mind it provided we're not also trying to bring Lobb in. I think it'd start to look a bit dire and desperate for us if we loaded up on these sorts of players. Darling might help with leadership and structure but I struggle to see what Lobb will bring at what will likely be an exorbitant salary.
Lobb played himself into the Bulldogs starting line up for 2025 on Friday night

We need another 3 x dog hungry small forwards to do that Ferbs. If Larkey or Teakle/ND KPF can’t mark they just need to bring it to the floor and let those pockets go crazy.

Hawthorn are dining off it at the moment, their best big forward hasn’t played for most of the year and theyre tearing teams to shreds.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back