List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

"can't confirm" and "source close to the pin" are two different things - your intelligence of the second variety? And wouldn't be surprised - clearly on the outer with Clarko, dropped multiple times etc

Also brought back. Haven't heard anything about him though, who knows. Doubt we ditch experience just for the sake of it,

Their problem is their list is old. Our problem is our list is young and inexperienced. He has Waterman and Allen infront of him at WCE. At Norf he’d have Larkey. Who’s he keeping out of the side if he plays for us…?
A witches hat, thats all he’s good for. And I’d probably say its a sideways move from Tess

The disgruntled tenor of this thread surprises me a bit.

Clearly we're not in a strong market position - last year, our weak bargaining meant that we paid overs for the type of player thought to be most in need (runners - Fisher and stephens). Or at least we paid over in terms of contract length, because I thought Rawlings did ok using the PPs to mix and match on the draft board. But in the end, it was either trade for what we could get, or do nothing.

Same as this year - we either take what's available, or do nothing.

The fact we appear to be going for 'experience' shouldn't surprise - clarko has said as much (repeatedly). And yes, that's a knock on such experience as we've got (again, if you believe the ITK, LMac got told as much in front of the group).

The key list management task as I see it is to keep the elite talent we have, and pad it out the best way we can while it matures. I can't say I'm bowled over by Darling, but I come back to it - who else? who are the A grade players wanting to join?

I think this is the way they're moving. Darling chops out Larkey and helps Chom, Dawson is going to get plenty of game time next year. Would be unimaginable we get past that second pick (as it stands) without one KPP drafted. Then when we're in the position to strike both on field and financially target established talls which was Clarko's Hawks MO.
We've still got Elmo who will improve and CCJ for next year. Im hopeful we get Gman who would offer something even in his first year as well. Im not against saying stuff it and taking Armstrong and Gerreyn and thats our fwds/ structure sorted for a long time.

That's the conundrum.

Why would a born and bred Perth local move himself and his whole family over to the other side of the country to play AFL/VFL in a bottom team for only 2 years, when he can get paid $800k to stay home and play WAFL?

I just don't see it..

Maybe he still thinks he has the ability to play AFL and is happy to move to prove it. You don't get to play at the top for long so you take every opportunity you can. Playing WAFL is basically admitting that's it over and he is in the exit lounge. Also he is hardly moving to Syria... not that big a move!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hate the thought of coughing up an F1, that’s likely to be a top 4 pick for Houston. He is a bloody good player but north worth a top 5 pick imo.

We be better off splitting either out F1 or Pick 2 in order to get a pick (around 10) to get Houston. If we did that I’d be supportive, but F1 as is, no way.

Some posters are going to get a severe case of RSI if they keep so vigorously trying to polish the t*rd that is Jack Darling. Well past his best as a player and is questionable from a character perspective - he had major red flags in his draft year.

But hey, at least he'll be able to teach the younger players how to observe perfect form when doing Zottman curls in the gym.

Hate the thought of coughing up an F1, that’s likely to be a top 4 pick for Houston. He is a bloody good player but north worth a top 5 pick imo.

We be better off splitting either out F1 or Pick 2 in order to get a pick (around 10) to get Houston. If we did that I’d be supportive, but F1 as is, no way.
I suspect the F1 was just a throw at the stumps. We did it last year with the Eagles and pick 1 we knew our offer wasn't going to get the deal done but we also got told what it would take to get the deal done, which was exorbitant. I have a feeling Port's expectations will be similar and just like the Eagles I doubt well seriously consider them.

North's offered its F1 for Houston - Twomey

(he adds that Port will probably only accept picks this year)
Nothing to say that this is true, but if it is, it would come from a mindset that fears mass sackings in the football department in 12 months without a grand final appearance. If they accept a pick in the teens this year rather than a top 4 pick next year, they are being run by 4 year olds doing the marshmallow experiment.

Some posters are going to get a severe case of RSI if they keep so vigorously trying to polish the t*rd that is Jack Darling. Well past his best as a player and is questionable from a character perspective - he had major red flags in his draft year.

But hey, at least he'll be able to teach the younger players how to observe perfect form when doing Zottman curls in the gym.
There are many reasons to reconsider a Darling trade but basing your concerns of a 32 year old on what he allegedly did on a school camp when he was 17 is probably not top of the agenda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to say that this is true, but if it is, it would come from a mindset that fears mass sackings in the football department in 12 months without a grand final appearance. If they accept a pick in the teens this year rather than a top 4 pick next year, they are being run by 4 year olds doing the marshmallow experiment.
Especially since DH is contracted and all he's said is that he wants to come to Victoria, so its completely up to PA's discretion which deal they accept.

Agree.

He's more of a third tall now anyway given his age. He's not a giant either at 191cm.

We just signed one up for 5 years so I'm assuming he's getting a game.

Having them both in the forward line will be disastrous given our lack of leg speed there already.

Not to mention that playing both is likely to take game time off Duursma.

Especially since DH is contracted and all he's said is that he wants to come to Victoria, so its completely up to PA's discretion which deal they accept.
Not sure I want to give away an F1, but you make an acute point - if Houston's priority really is "Victoria", then PA will sell to the highest draft bidder. One of the few bargaining environments which we could enter on a reasonably competitive footing (depending on how much draft capital we're prepared to stump up)

Agree.

He's more of a third tall now anyway given his age. He's not a giant either at 191cm.

We just signed one up for 5 years so I'm assuming he's getting a game.

Having them both in the forward line will be disastrous given our lack of leg speed there already.

Not to mention that playing both is likely to take game time off Duursma.
I'm not pushing the barrow, but Darling would play ahead of Pink - Ford's the one to worry about Duursma imo

- he had major red flags in his draft year.

1. Didn't he get caught in a classmate's tent with a goon bag on school camp? Or was there a different red flag?

2. Sign him up!

Isn't their a key forward next year who is likely to be in the top 1 - 4 picks? Better than this years crop?

We've still got Elmo who will improve and CCJ for next year. Im hopeful we get Gman who would offer something even in his first year as well. Im not against saying stuff it and taking Armstrong and Gerreyn and thats our fwds/ structure sorted for a long time.

To be fair on Elmo I'm not sure he will improve much but he was brought in to replace Free on our list. CCJ, who knows. He might not make it back. Neither are reliable.

As for Armstrong and Gerreyn it feels to me both are reaches at our current draft position. Things will hopefully be clearer come the end of trade week/eon.

The disgruntled tenor of this thread surprises me a bit.

Really?

I expect there to be disgruntled in every thread.

in fact I think it is a pretty long way until we get a gruntled thread.

The affect of the cumulative losses year on year has ground down a lot of posters who have typically held reasonable views.

I feel like our fanbase sits pretty consistently somewhere between apathy and anger.

Nothing matters now except Ws. everything else is noise.

Which is why, trades that appear pretty lacklustre feed disgruntled outlooks. We can't win on game day, we can't win at the trade table. We have been stuck here for 5 years and the realistic outlook is what? we may move a couple of spots if we substantially improve?

If we can get Luke Parker in I will be ecstatic.

The impact he'll have on Harry, George and Colby is scintillating, and it demonstrates to all three that we're prioritising their development and they are in safe hands at North.

Not to mention, LDU is far from a finished product himself.

WE would need to be higher up than pick#10 . Saints will have earlier picks than that to offer Poort and Poort may want better...Our F1 will not get anything near 2 picks under that either..

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back