List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently we’ve offered our future first round pick for Dan Houston…
Personally I’m happy with this, or the thinking behind it. We have had more than our fair share of top 5-10 picks, busted a fair few of them too. Work with the glut of talent that is already there and start bringing guys in who will get results.

Can see it now - get darling to mentor our young KPF’s and then go to the draft , we selected best talent at our picks , just weren’t any KPF’s around our picks
It could mean we are taking Armstrong at 2. Otherwise, yes, very weird to get a mentor when you aren't guarranteed a protege.

It could mean we are taking Armstrong at 2. Otherwise, yes, very weird to get a mentor when you aren't guarranteed a protege.
Darling the Mentor, Moose the Apprentice

Karate Kid GIF

ralph macchio chopsticks GIF

Brady: I hear Houston wants to head back to Victoria, is that true?
Port: Yes, are you interested?
Brady: Sure, he is a good player.
Port: We are looking for 2 first round picks, or an early first round pick. Will you offer pick 2?
Brady: No, but we think we will improve a bit next year so perhaps our future first could be involved.

News: North offers future 1st round pick for Houston

How would you be making a formal offer for someone you haven't even spoken to? It sounds like another case of club x/manager y using our interest in anyone with a pulse to enhance their bargaining position... which doesn't involve or benefit us at all.

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Proof we are getting close to a interesting point in Clarko's time here.

He's feeling the pressure to improve imo, he knows another bottom 4 finish will have the vultures out for him.

If we target anyone like this, they have to be free agents. We can't commit draft capital like this for players of that age bracket. It's absolute insanity. Melbourne, Geelong? Yes. They have a completely different age demographic and profile. Somone like Petracca? Maybe, but even then it's lineball. Houston sure as shit isn't Christian Petracca.

Absolutely no way in the world we should be trading that pick on it's own for a 28 year old unless it's bonafide absolute superstar of the game, I don't care if he's a 2 x AA half back and the best ball user in the comp.

We are turning into what Freo was to us in the 90's.

They will have our pants down here long term and we will likely hand them one of Sid Draper or Dyson Sharp on a platter (which will be their long term game, like they did with us with Rozee/Polec)
I have zero desire to trade with port regardless of what is on offer.

put a moratorium on trading with them until after we have had a top 4 finish.

They have either f*ed us or tried to f* us on every deal we have done with them for a decade.

Sincerely, hope not. We don’t go giving away a top 5 pick, for a bloke that’s going to be 28 next year, unless they’re a superstar. Which he most certainly is not.
It probably reads cutting a bit deeper than what would actually transpire.
I think everyone knows, even port Adelaide that Houston isn’t worth a top 6 pick but if he came with a sweetener back and some swaps (however it would be fleshed out) I’m sure it would be a positive step forward for our club. He is the best long and short kick in the league, top 3 for both individually I think the bloke from champion data said on sen a few weeks back and he has two AA gurnseys to his name too.

I'm not sure why the potential Darling deal is causing so much division and angst. He isn't a needle mover either way for mine. We won't be giving up anything by way of trade capital, and can comfortably fit him in the cap. He might not make us better, but i can't see him making us worse. Shiels was "washed" and retired when he came to North, and ended up playing a lot of footy. If Darling plays 20 games across two years, and is able to provide some experience and direction on track during the week, it feels like a low risk move.

People flipping their shit over the houston deal. Mate he's 1 year older than larkey and Zurhaar.
We need to push for some good older players otherwise the guys we do have, won't be playing when we start making finals.
You're kidding yourself if you don't think Houston would walk into our 22 and drastically change the backline for the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People flipping their shit over the houston deal. Mate he's 1 year older than larkey and Zurhaar.
We need to push for some good older players otherwise the guys we do have, won't be playing when we start making finals.
You're kidding yourself if you don't think Houston would walk into our 22 and drastically change the backline for the better.
He has no interest in coming to us anyway! This board's ability to overestimate our bargaining position as a club when it comes to drafting and obsession with draft pick value is astounding.

Apparently we’ve offered our future first round pick for Dan Houston

Wasn't that yesterday news?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In a spooky coincidence, Melbourne paid pick 6 for Stephen May (don’t count that the other Kolojazni was thrown in). And 10 and a future first for Jake Lever. At some point if you want to get quality in with plenty of miles still ahead, and you can get them interested, you have to pay for it.

I honestly don’t feel as though North is yet at a point where we can attract high calibre or be ready to maximise the value of it when it arrives, but that’s a different discussion than whether a well performed player in their prime is worth high draft picks. They are.

In a spooky coincidence, Melbourne paid pick 6 for Stephen May (don’t count that the other Kolojazni was thrown in). And 10 and a future first for Jake Lever. At some point if you want to get quality in with plenty of miles still ahead, and you can get them interested, you have to pay for it.

I honestly don’t feel as though North is yet at a point where we can attract high calibre or be ready to maximise the value of it when it arrives, but that’s a different discussion than whether a well performed player in their prime is worth high draft picks. They are.
Zak Butters is the one for me. I hope we're laying the ground work now. If he is playing under a new coach next year and indications are he would consider a move back to Victoria, we need to put ourselves in a position to make a massive play. If we can show some improvement across the course of the next season (6-8 wins) we could at least put ourselves in te conversation with the size of the contract we'd be able to offer. But making a move of that type this year would definitely be premature, particularly as future trading has yet be unlocked.

Brady: I hear Houston wants to head back to Victoria, is that true?
Port: Yes, are you interested?
Brady: Sure, he is a good player.
Port: We are looking for 2 first round picks, or an early first round pick. Will you offer pick 2?
Brady: No, but we think we will improve a bit next year so perhaps our future first could be involved.

News: North offers future 1st round pick for Houston

How would you be making a formal offer for someone you haven't even spoken to? It sounds like another case of club x/manager y using our interest in anyone with a pulse to enhance their bargaining position... which doesn't involve or benefit us at all.

I did enquire today and told that we didn't offer our first next year, so dunno but I do know he's not worthy of a top 4 pick, or the type you should get with a top 4 pick.

Zak Butters is the one for me. I hope we're laying the ground work now. If he is playing under a new coach next year and indications are he would consider a move back to Victoria, we need to put ourselves in a position to make a massive play. If we can show some improvement across the course of the next season (6-8 wins) we could at least put ourselves in te conversation with the size of the contract we'd be able to offer. But making a move of that type this year would definitely be premature, particularly as future trading has yet be unlocked.

Zak is a Bullflogs man. If they put out the feelers and the right offer, that's where he'll end up 👍

Zak is a Bullflogs man. If they put out the feelers and the right offer, that's where he'll end up 👍
They have Darcy, Bont and Richards to sign up next year, Jamarra the year after that. Naughton already signed big dollars for 9 years. They might not be able to compete with our offer albeit I concede our chances would be very slim.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back