List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

The balancing act is that we can’t just wait, we have to use the next year to put ourselves into a a better spot to attract and trade for players we want.
We need to show improvement next year with FAs to come to us first.We also have the issue with Tassie coming in and taking all the draft picks.

Pleases tell me who hasn't?
Gold Coast, GWS, Freo, Brisbane, Dogs, West Coast to a lesser degree Carlton.

these are clubs we have traded with or been involved in multi club trades with where it wasn't them that bent us over.

Port, Richmond, Melbourne, the recent trading history we have had with these three specifically has been poor.

For me the line with Port was the pick trade on draft night last year where we gave up pick 48 and got back a fourth round pick, and then just 2 picks later St Kilda gave up pick 50 and got a third round pick in return. We clearly have a trading relationship with Port and it is as simple as we are not benefitting in the way that we should be on the open market.

IMO we should wait another year and then trade for players.
Or two. We've got enormous growth on our list and its about time we start finding out what many of them bring to the table.

Houston is good but the draft capital is just stupid given our stocks. Darling much the same but a salary cost when we could be frontloading for a long term benefit FA when we have a better idea what we need.

Lets assume we go all out tall fwds in Armstrong pick 2 and GMan pick 22. Why because thats less coverage for the flanker types most people are wanting and addresses our fwd issues long term.

Down back its perfect time to start blooding W.Dawson with both Logue and Corr ready to go round 1. Then we have Hardeman, Bergman, Archer, LMac, Fisher, Tucker and maybe Goater (or wing). Duursma might be another we use there for a year or two and then a smokey in Stephenson if he's really ready to save his career. Thats a shipload of options and they're all ready for game time.

Mids and Wings we've got LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Powell, Stephens, Scott, Simpkin and Phillips. These guys were competitive for large chunks but the group we probably need the biggest lift from. Phillips knows where he stands and decided to stay and fight. Sheez didnt start mid and showed he belongs. Simpkin surely has to be better and Powell is the most interesting one for mine.

Powell should be ready to go another gear, his best is great but drifts in and out. But over the next 2 years we'll know if he'll make it as a mid or not. If not then i don't see what attributes he lacks compared to Houston. Sure he'll have some defensive aspects to work on but his skills and vision would be a weapon off HB.

Forwards, well talls are sorted. We'd have Larkey, Comben, Armstrong, GMan, Elmo, CCJ and Maley. Two of which are solid second ruck options. If next season was a mix of Larkey with Elmo/GMan then Chom working up the ground. Give him a year or two to find out what he's got as a fwd, if not then Armstong takes over and Chom goes back replacing Corr. Armstrong would be fine to play a few games as a third tall if Chom were injured.

Then we've still got Zurhaar, Curtis, Duursma and Ford in the med category. We still need to inject pace in there so play McKercher HFF. Gets Rosas and hopefully RHJ continues his improvement. With Simpkin possibly more fwd/mid than mid/fwd.

On top of all that we're likely to add another top 5 pick next year with the top 5 looking strong at least. Then the following year another top 10 pick most likely. Next years 2nd rounder should be in the quality zone too.

2 years we find out what this group has and then have an excellent idea of what we need. We frontload like crazy, get the ideal FA and then look to trade picks.

Last edited:
Yes and no. First and foremost we need to use everything at our disposal to climb the ladder. Not only are we losing young kids as supporters every single year while we are down the bottom, no in-demand player will agree to come to us while we are rooted in the bottom 4 with 3 wins.

If we wait another year and win under 5 games again, we will be in exactly the same position, struggling to attract anyone with a pulse.
Not bothered in the slightest if that were to happen. Id hope we're a lot more competitive, but another year and our young group is so close to blossoming its not funny. In 26 we'll be knocking on the door of the finals if not breaking it down.

IMO we should wait another year and then trade for players.
We were a much better side 2003-2005 but pulled the trigger too quickly then trading out picks for experience and had to regroup in 2006.

By all means get cheap experience to restore some kind of structure now but it is not the time to trade our high quality collateral unless for an outstanding return. eg Nick Daicos or Sam Darcy.

Our 1st pick should be valued at top 3 on an ongoing basis until there is evidence otherwise. IMO that makes it untradeable directly for all bar about 1% of AFL players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah hawks waited until they were down the bottom for a couple of years before trading didn't they... what about bris

You don't choose to wait... you maybe forced to wait as players may not come but you have to at least try not just sit back and not bother with an attitude of no-one will come so I'll wait

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We have been trying, but not much has happened so we've been building the list we've got. As per my post above after this draft we should have so many option is almost every position with enormous growth expected. To my mind at least, we're at the point no fringe players will make any difference to what we have. We gell this group and push them hard over the next 2 years. Then we'll know what we do and dont have.
BTW, i not against getting Parker for a 3rd or 4th rounder. We just dont need experience as bad as people are making out imo. We'll be a much better team over the next 2 years i have no doubt.

BTW, i not against getting Parker for a 3rd or 4th rounder. We just dont need experience as bad as people are making out imo. We'll be a much better team over the next 2 years i have no doubt.

That's it, we're going for some older heads at the moment but that's to make up for the gap at that end of the list.

The really mature experience in 2026 is LDU, Larkey, Jy, CZ, Logue etc. Our age profile is catching up.

Is Darling that bad now?

I used to rate him really highly but haven't watched him enough in recent times to comment.
Yes he is pretty bad. Can't seem to jump and drops a lot of marks. He's been playing decoy the last few years. Runs to the right places to open up space for the other kpfs they have.
We do need a bit of that. His pressure is pretty good for a tall. We need that also.
He's not a great on field option but I reckon has heaps he can teach our kpfs. Even larkey could learn from him he has bad habits it's best our new kpfs don't learn.
In short He's a better role model than we currently have. Similar to Parker in the mids but less impact in game I'd suspect.

Jack darling talk always reminds me of this video

Yes he is pretty bad. Can't seem to jump and drops a lot of marks. He's been playing decoy the last few years. Runs to the right places to open up space for the other kpfs they have.
We do need a bit of that. His pressure is pretty good for a tall. We need that also.
He's not a great on field option but I reckon has heaps he can teach our kpfs. Even larkey could learn from him he has bad habits it's best our new kpfs don't learn.
In short He's a better role model than we currently have. Similar to Parker in the mids but less impact in game I'd suspect.
His tackle numbers look ok but are generally in and around congestion. He gets torched on the rebound and thats why they're not going to play him. Thats an area thats already a problem for us. While Chom is defiantly in the tall timber category but he has serious wheels, can overhead mark, get up the ground and is a 5x better option. If Chom gets going he'd be a very tough matchup. Go too small and we play him deep, go big and he works up the ground.

His tackle numbers look ok but are generally in and around congestion. He gets torched on the rebound and thats why they're not going to play him. Thats an area thats already a problem for us. While Chom is defiantly in the tall timber category but he has serious wheels, can overhead mark, get up the ground and is a 5x better option. If Chom gets going he'd be a very tough matchup. Go too small and we play him deep, go big and he works up the ground.

Go watch round 22 against west coast.

Darling sacrifices his game to stop combens intercept marking.

We had him doing that to
McGovern and we win.

Yep chom offers heaps more. The coaches seem to think if Darling teaches our kpfs a few tricks he improves them all. I can see the logic and for a 2 year contract the risk isn't a large one.
He will be better than Pink or teakle and if he improves our forward structure he could be great for us.
Minimum cost he's not worth getting all dramatic over.
When he retires in two years he frees up cash for kerch and wardlaw types.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back