List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Garcia is the only other one I’ve read. Decent player, but as a short mid/flanker, not sure why he’d be a list priority?

And some say linked to Peatling but whilst I like him haven't see anything connecting... Garcia is a defensive two way mid as is Peatling definitely need but seem to have abit on our plate of greater priority.... pick wise shouldn't cost more than 27-35 wouldn't have thought for either

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They are not even the same in terms of role. Very strange comparison. Ryan is more the 3rd tall. Clarke is their hb that tries to break the lines wirh speed or by foot, he is the closer comparison. He was traded for what 20 and future 3rd so brings to low teens. He was 20 and barely played any games so his trade was all on potential

Strange comparison given the age difference. Future third is steak knives - not a 7 pick upgrade in the first round. So let’s be generous and say he was traded for roughly a mid/high teens pick, I’d be fine paying that for Houston.

The fact we are a small club and been sh*t for five years shouldn’t be justification to overpay. In fact, part of the reason we have been sh*t for five years is because we have consistently overpaid for players.

How about trying the following first to get our own backyard in order…
  • Don’t overpay for players
  • Don’t expect one player to come in and instantly lift us off the bottom four (especially a half back flanker, regardless of him being AA quality)
  • Balance the list positionally (key position players, small forwards, wingman, defenders that can defend etc.)
  • Nail draft picks outside the obvious ones (nailing a pick outside the top 5 more then once every few drafts would be nice)
  • Target some decent role players that are unconditional and don’t pay massively overs (every other club in the land seems to be able to do)
  • Reward players that have unconditional effort in both recruiting and selection

Oh, and then there’s the game plan…

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to want to see all (or most) of these addressed before we decide to trade out one of the few good things about being as sh*t as we are, our early draft pick.
Overpaying for quality is fine. Overpaying for shitmen needs to be stopped. Houston is quality.

We will have wasted our 25/26 core if we wait another 3 years

Who are the core?

it's 2 more, if you can count which i doubt!

We have drafted Dawson and Coad, yay 2 KPP and our best player just turned 20 and polled what, 14 votes in 3 winning games!

Aiden…
Andrea, Sharon, Caroline, Jim (90’s reference there for The Filth Wizard )

Sorry, heard of them, couldn't tell you a song of theirs for a million bucks.

Not sure why you're polluting our important draft thread with shit music and musicians when everyone from when i was talking about were beginning to take disco bisquits rendering boring guitar playing bands useless.

LDU or Curtis could've also marked the ****ing ball in the Melbourne game, which would've at least given us a shot. That play is excruciating to watch on replay. The umps stuff is neither here nor there for me, because if you can change one dodgy one, you can theoretically change all dodgy ones (including that hilarious free to X on the boundary against the Collingwoods which he somehow converted), and the game unfolds in a completely different manner.

We probably should've had six wins, fourteen significant losses, and the three meh Dogs, Carlton and Freo losses. Our concrete results: three wins, six losses under five goals, and fourteen hefty defeats, is worse than last year's three wins and eight or so other competitive performances. The only way we're further along is that Curtis, Powell, Comben, Colby and Wardlaw had games pumped into them.

It will be time to ask what the **** is going on if we're not competitive from the outset next year. Twice in a row we've written off the season with six shit weeks from R3 onwards. This year it went on till R12. That's sort of unacceptable
Last year we had Ziebell, Cunnington, Goldstein, Thomas and Kayne Turner who were all either talented or strong enough to finish a game. They are all done this year but that experience and talent in Thomas' case makes a huge difference just in being able to finish games.

Last year we had no patches where we tore teams apart for extended periods but then gave up big leads. We couldn't even play like that most of the year. Teams just outplayed us across games. The players that did that good stuff this year will be older ie stronger and fitter, this year so theoretically they should be able to maintain that effort for longer and not lose games at the death.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to see a mega trade where...

GC get Rioli & E.Himmelberg
Adelaide get Cumming
Freo get Bolton
Port get Lukosis & Perryman
WCE get Baker
North get Houston, Balta, Parker, Konstanty & Darling
Richmond & Sydney clubs get picks

Now, if someone can just use the draft picks to balance it all out then that would be great.
Chat gpt

Last year we had Ziebell, Cunnington, Goldstein, Thomas and Kayne Turner who were all either talented or strong enough to finish a game. They are all done this year but that experience and talent in Thomas' case makes a huge difference just in being able to finish games.

Last year we had no patches where we tore teams apart for extended periods but then gave up big leads. We couldn't even play like that most of the year. Teams just outplayed us across games. The players that did that good stuff this year will be older ie stronger and fitter, this year so theoretically they should be able to maintain that effort for longer and not lose games at the death.
This year was the recession we had to have.

They sentenced us to seven years of trouble
For denying them the Gold Coast Kangaroos
We’re coming now, we’re coming back with vengeance
First, we take Dan Houston, then we take Tauru.

Who are the core?

The individual we are building around is Sheezel.

There are players who have shown they can currently play elite seasons:
LDU, Xerri, Larkey

That is our current core. All of whom are young enough to be playing elite footy when Sheezel is physically mature.

You can split the rest of the group into:

• Developing with potential but raw
  • Further along the development curve (there is a mix here of elite potential and above average/average potential)
  • would need to have something change to climb out of average
  • not the answer long term, will likely put themselves through the grinder for the club in the short term
  • Not gonna make it

Thomas's attitude ****ed us. We missed him greatly this year. And will continue to.

It's a real shame.

Amen.

The ability to win it inside and deliver it outside and kick goals? If he'd applied himself to football with as much commitment as he applied to being a shit bloke then not only do I think he would have been a player he'd have been in our top handful.

There are very few players who even have the potential of being a 20 & 2 player and he absolutely had that. It is why even despite his shit bloke status you have clubs meeting with him.

If he is real about wanting to rehabilitate his career then he'd be playing in a lower league in 2025, if he was serious about it he'd probably be able to average 30-3 in a lower league.

Can we please, just never again deal with Port?
I cannot agree enough with this.

The last 4 times that we have dealt with them they have either f*ed us or tried to f* us. Even in the last dealing, a simple pick swap we got unders.

Some of that is on Joyce, some of it is on Brady, a whole lot of it is on Port being shitc***s and I want no part of any trade with them.

I don't care who they have on offer or we think they can make us better. Our institutional knowledge should tell us we get f***ed over when dealing with them so we just shouldn't.

Houston is a proven player - draft picks are a lucky dip.

Splitting pick 2 for a 6/12 and handing 12 over to poort won’t be the end of the world but could help us move up. Will also make us more attractive to other players looking to move.

Last edited:
I find the idea that because you trade in a good player others will come a bit strange. “Party at North’s joint, let’s ****in go!”
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

I find the idea that because you trade in a good player others will come a bit strange. “Party at North’s joint, let’s ****in go!”

There'll be a party at North's joint in 2-3 years we'll need a bouncer at the door for.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back