List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL has done the .most extensive research into concussion and CTE than any other sporting code and have introduced rules such as defenceless receiver hit penalties, helmet to helmet hit penalties etc etc

Helmets do help, but limiting unnecessary contact does more.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not really what I was saying.
My point is it seems to have little adverse affects on a players game.
He started wearing his because of a facial fracture from memory.
Yeah i remember way back when Gary Wilson wore one with Fitzroy never affected the way he played either. Like you say anything to help with head knocks are a good thing.

Research into concussions. Yes, research into boxing, NFL, Hockey .. where the head is beaten senselessly. Our players heads dont take the knocks as the above mentioned do. Sure there will be some that have long term impacts, just like everything else. Some blokes cant walk because their knees are ****ed too. Maybe we just scrap the game then. Wrap everyone is bubble wrap and send em on their way.

Or dont play. People run around playing this sport at a financial cost at local clubs. Pack your bags, and get out. No one does shit for these blokes at local level but they soldier on. No whinging, no fuss.

There is large scale research that’s getting completed in Australia across all sports as we speak. The same research that suggested that concussions would have likely played a part in the mental state/capacity of Shane Tuck (AFL), Danny Frawley (AFL) and Paul Green (NRL) who all took their own lives.

Our players often take huge hits mate, and they are doing so at speed and with no protection whatsoever.

It’s not about wrapping the game or stopping the game it’s about implementing things that can minimise the long term impacts.

It’s a huge issue in all sports.

Last edited:
Have they done much research into Cricketers do you know.
Helmet technology advances every year in cricket helmets, even to the point the Aussies use them plastic padding type things on the sides for a 1/1,000,000 Philip Hughes incident.

Helmets will be 100% mandated in the AFL. It's when, not if.

There is large scale research that’s getting completed in Australia across all sports as we speak. The same research that suggested that concussions would have likely played a part in the mental state/capacity of Travis Tuck (AFL), Danny Frawley (AFL) and Paul Green (NRL) who all took their own lives.

Our players often take huge hits mate, and they are doing so at speed and with no protection whatsoever.

It’s not about wrapping the game or stopping the game it’s about implementing things that can minimise the long term impacts.

In all seriousness how do we do that though make helmets compulsory i really don't know. But like you say its a serious issue that no everyone should be taking dead serious.

There is large scale research that’s getting completed in Australia across all sports as we speak. The same research that suggested that concussions would have likely played a part in the mental state/capacity of Travis Tuck (AFL), Danny Frawley (AFL) and Paul Green (NRL) who all took their own lives.

Shane Tuck.

Turn it up with this concussion nonsense. He’s 20 not 65. What a load of shit. Footy players, hundreds of thousands of footy players have played footy and copped head knocks. He’ll be fine. Im getting tired of this concussion shit. They arent being pulverised by 150kg supreme athletes wearing armour. Garbage.

He’s not ready in the middle for full minutes.

End of story. We want him for 10 years not 10 games.

So how many head knocks has Free had roos Thats terrible. So seriously where does that leave George then after 2 in quick succession How many did he have playing junior footy would be interesting. Do the under 18 have a let's say for a better word quota for how many you can have before they start to think retirement at that age.

Free had one last year and 2 so far this year. After the 2nd one this year though he started getting some more serious symptoms and has since had some extensive tests. Still unsure if he’ll play again this year.

There is large scale research that’s getting completed in Australia across all sports as we speak. The same research that suggested that concussions would have likely played a part in the mental state/capacity of Shane Tuck (AFL), Danny Frawley (AFL) and Paul Green (NRL) who all took their own lives.

Not to make light but 2 of those 3 players were king hit to the back of the head, taking big massive off the ground hip and shoulders to the head on a weekly basis.

The current game is not like that any longer and its a massive overreach and overreaction.

And saying that concussions led them to kill themselves is a reach also. No one knows the reason they took their lives, thats disingenuous and really clutching at straws.

People take their lives every day, its sad but were they all concussed? Danny Frawly was having serious family and finance issues too..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've never placed better than 17th on the ladder for the last 5 years.
This has gotta stop

When we look at the sides around us who do we think we can finish above next season.

Tigers and weagles are the obvious ones - crows and saints should be better than what they are.
So the bottom 3 might just be the same next season

Hi guys. It was a hard loss to take today as it was almost in the bag. You guys will be on the rise next year as your youth are great and it is all about getting games into them this year.

Just dropping by to see what the appetite may be to do a pick trade with the crows this year. I think WCE will take SA boy Draper at 3 and i think our club would prefer him over Smith, FOS and Smillie.

Could you see north entertaining a pick swap for crows pick 4 and f1 for pick 2 and your 2nd rounder?. We may improve next year but we may still miss finals so our f1 is a reasonable chance to be a top 10 pick. Just thinking north may still get a top mid or kpp at 4 as they would at 2 and at the same time upgrade a 2nd to a 1st.

I'll see myself out but would be interested to see if that may appeal?
With the top end being very even that would t be the worst idea.

I would probably not want us to trade out of the 2nd round this year. I think there will be some talent early in the 2nd round.

I could see us trading down and looking at someone like Trainor or Armstrong later in the first round.

Not to make light but 2 of those 3 players were king hit to the back of the head, taking big massive off the ground hip and shoulders to the head on a weekly basis.

The current game is not like that any longer and its a massive overreach and overreaction.

And saying that concussions led them to kill themselves is a reach also. No one knows the reason they took their lives, thats disingenuous and really clutching at straws.

People take their lives every day, its sad but were they all concussed? Danny Frawly was having serious family and finance issues too..

Depression, bipolar disorder and a stack of other mental health issues have been linked to CTE. You don’t need to have 5/10/20 concussions to have a serious impact on brain functionality. Aiden O’Driscoll had one bad concussion in preseason for the dogs and it was enough for multiple experts to tell him to retire.

The research about the above players suggested that their concussion histories were likely a co-factor with them taking their own lives. Was it the only reason? Absolutely not, and I never suggested that. But it is likely that concussions contributed to their deteriorating mental health.

This has gotta stop
I know we’ve seen some improvement in individual players and overall competitiveness but the fact remains that in all likelihood we’re going to finish this season with the same number of wins and a lower percentage than last year.

When we look at the sides around us who do we think we can finish above next season.

Tigers and weagles are the obvious ones - crows and saints should be better than what they are.
So the bottom 3 might just be the same next season
I don't care.
Bring in trade targets, draft mature agers from state leagues, get experienced players with 2-3 years left.
Something needs to change.

This has gotta stop
I’m not concerned about this years finishing position. Other than the Sydney game, post bye we have been in games.

17th or 16th means very little this year.

What I do want to see next year is us being competitive in the first half of the year. The start to this year was a disgrace.

Happy for it to be a slow burn, if it means that hen we climb the mountain it’s sustainable and long term.

What would you rather, top up and finish mid table like *.

Last edited:
I know we’ve seen some improvement in individual players and overall competitiveness but the fact remains that in all likelihood we’re going to finish this season with the same number of wins and a lower percentage than last year.
The difference between this years team and last years is stark.

Don’t focus on the results, focus on what’s the club is building.

While the result was a massive disappointment, that was a game we dominated the opposition.

Get rid of the stupid mistakes and we most likely cruise to a 5+ goal win.

This is not a team losing because they are being outplayed. They are now losing due to silly mistakes and inexperience.

As soon as these mistakes and the players who are serial offenders play themselves out of the team, that’s when it turns.

A silly mistake from one of our Captains played a big part in getting West Coast back in that game. The team needs to move past these basic errors and the players that are making them.

I’m shitty we lost, but we lost it, we weren’t outplayed, which is a step forward. The next phase is to finish out the game when we outplay our opposition.

I don't care.
Bring in trade targets, draft mature agers from state leagues, get experienced players with 2-3 years left.
We’ve done that with fisher , Logue , Tucker , teakle , even Corr and sleevo.
We need leaders and of the above only Logue would be in that bracket.

We should throw everything at Parker - not for his talent but his leadership. He would have read the riot act after yesterday’s game.

I get that people want to think we're out the other side. But remember we were the best wooden spoon team ever in Noble's first year. And yet three years later we're still not winning more games. It doesn't happen without some tough calls. Over to you Viney and Clarkson.

I don't care.
It is changing.

It just takes time. What we were left with post Noble was a dumpster fire. Throw in a Hawthorn racism scandal derailing our head coach and massive loss of experience in one year into the mix.

What did people expect?

It’s a young team that is still learning how to play the game.

It is frustrating, but it takes time.

This year we will bring in some more talent, players have another year under their belt and will do another preseason.

If people can’t see the change, they aren’t looking close enough.

Now is not the time to blink and top up for a few more cheap wins.

Their autopsies showed that they all had CTE, and there has been enough research to show that people with CTE have a much higher rate of suicide than the general population.

Do you feel that F1 is much diminished now that cars are fitted out so that they aren't death traps in the event of a severe crash?

Imagine if we pick a mid with our first pick and then trade our 2nd rounder for another mid in Viney - then don’t get a kpf.
If that happened Souva should ask for a trade
It simply cannot happen. It would be the intro to the Micallef Programme’s basement of shame sketch and all three of Brady, Will and Todd would be there awkwardly looking at the walls, only the audience’s laughter breaking the painful silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back