List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Weren't you delisting Ford about 6 weeks ago?

In a previous similar post yeah, I had Ford on the outs. It was based on his struggle to solidfy himself in our best 22 at the time, either not being selected, or being the sub, etc. And it came with acknowledgement that it was a really tough call.

Now he's really solidified himself so I've updated it.

Would you prefer I never update my opinion, like some around here? :D

Pick 34 and a future first for Schultz.
Right now their future first looks more expensive than it probably felt at the end of a premiership year. He’s a neat player but still. Either way it’s nothing like the value of what we will have at this draft, even if we play out of our skins the rest of the season.

So with the speculation we might split our top pick (which I think is the smart move), it does add the wrinkle that it adds an additional 'cut' we need to make from our out-of-contract players.

So looking at the list below, let's assume we are able to keep 7 players at most. I'm glad we re-signed Brayden George for two years but that also reduces the pool by 1.

I've bolded the players I'd personally keep but gee it is going to be a difficult decision process because there's some quality players there we're going to struggle to keep.

Bailey Scott (trade/release?)
Blake Drury (release)
Cameron Zurhaar
Charlie Lazzaro (release)
Cooper Harvey (rookie list maybe?)
Curtis Taylor (release)
Eddie Ford
Finnbar Maley

Hamish Free (release)
Hugh Greenwood (retire)
Jackson Archer
Kallan Dawson

Liam Shiels (retire)
Robert Hansen (release)
Toby Pink
Tyler Sellers (release/VFL)
Will Phillips

I predict people will arc up about Bailey Scott, but there's been speculation he wants to leave and it lowkey might not be the worst thing in the world if that eventuates. I'd rather keep someone like Eddie Ford.
Extremely different players Ford and Bailey Scott.

After Bailey's efforts on the weekend I'm extremely reluctant to let him go.

Would you want North to 'win' a bidding war for Bailey Scott vs (for example) Geelong?

I like Bailey (i'm not Nostra lol) but also pretty keenly aware of his limitations and not sure paying him big money is in our best interests.

For that HBF/Winger type, we have quite a bit of contracted young talent at that position coming up through the ranks, or already firmly cemented. I'm talking about guys like McKercher, Duursma, Fisher, Brayden George, Hardeman, Goater, Tucker, Bergman, and Dylan Stephens.

Again, I'm not attacking Bailey Scott here. I want to be clear. I think he cops an unfair amount of shit from a few posters here. But the reality is he's out of contract, there's been murmurs for a while he's looking elsewhere, and it might end up being win-win for all parties if he decides to leave.

I still wish we drafted Dan Curtin over Zane Duursma. I never expected Curtin to be the type of player who dominates their rookie year.

But time will tell.
Yes, well aware you'll die on this hill. I'm glad we drafted Duursma instead of Curtin, so will agree to disagree on this.

FWIW I think Curtin will end up a good player just don't think he was who we needed and the carry on by the media for us to select him was very near-sighted.

I still wish we drafted Dan Curtin over Zane Duursma. I never expected Curtin to be the type of player who dominates their rookie year.

But time will tell.

Time will tell on both of them, to be fair. Considering we're coming up on a bit of a pickle in our abundance of quality defenders at the moment while also starving for mercurial forwards, I feel better hedging our bets on Duursma coming on for now.

Also: respect for no longer delisting Eddie! 😁

In a previous similar post yeah, I had Ford on the outs. It was based on his struggle to solidfy himself in our best 22 at the time, either not being selected, or being the sub, etc. And it came with acknowledgement that it was a really tough call.

Now he's really solidified himself so I've updated it.

Would you prefer I never update my opinion, like some around here? :D

Happy for you to change your opinion. I was completely wrong about Xerri, and happy to admit that.

It is worth noting that you were an extreme outlier at the time with that opinion, which is also fine.

You're probably right, I think we've got 2 more wins in us against Richmond & West Coast.

It could come down to West Coast v Suns at Optus Stadium as to whether we end up with pick 2 or 3. If the Suns are true to form with their away record the Eagles win that which means we'd finish equal on points and it would come down to percentage separating us.

Cue the media outrage, "If North hadn't kicked that goal they'd have pick 2, they should have missed on purpose"
With games against Carlton, Brisbane and Geelong at GMHBA to come, I can see the Eagle's percentage taking a hammering on the run home.

Having said that, it would be poetic justice for Simmo to pull a rabbit of his hat for one last home game before he gets the heave-ho, in which case that Suns game is the only realistic option.

Would you want North to 'win' a bidding war for Bailey Scott vs (for example) Geelong?

I like Bailey (i'm not Nostra lol) but also pretty keenly aware of his limitations and not sure paying him big money is in our best interests.

For that HBF/Winger type, we have quite a bit of contracted young talent at that position coming up through the ranks, or already firmly cemented. I'm talking about guys like McKercher, Duursma, Fisher, Brayden George, Hardeman, Goater, Tucker, Bergman, and Dylan Stephens.

Again, I'm not attacking Bailey Scott here. I want to be clear. I think he cops an unfair amount of shit from a few posters here. But the reality is he's out of contract, there's been murmurs for a while he's looking elsewhere, and it might end up being win-win for all parties if he decides to leave.
I can’t see a bidding war for Bailey. He’s a good solid player but doubt the Cats will be wanting to pay overs for him. He deserves a good contract from north, and he’ll become more and more important to our game as we get better as a side.

I can’t see a bidding war for Bailey. He’s a good solid player but doubt the Cats will be wanting to pay overs for him. He deserves a good contract from north, and he’ll become more and more important to our game as we get better as a side.

You might be right, but have you looked at the list of our of contract players across the AFL this year?

Not a lot of young genuine best 22 talent. Bailey will be one of the better players available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So with the speculation we might split our top pick (which I think is the smart move), it does add the wrinkle that it adds an additional 'cut' we need to make from our out-of-contract players.

So looking at the list below, let's assume we are able to keep 7 players at most. I'm glad we re-signed Brayden George for two years but that also reduces the pool by 1.

I've bolded the players I'd personally keep but gee it is going to be a difficult decision process because there's some quality players there we're going to struggle to keep.

Blake Drury (release)
Cameron Zurhaar
Curtis Taylor (release)
Eddie Ford
Finnbar Maley

Hamish Free (release)
Hugh Greenwood (retire)
Jackson Archer
Kallan Dawson

Liam Shiels (retire)
Robert Hansen (release)
Toby Pink
Will Phillips

I predict people will arc up about Bailey Scott, but there's been speculation he wants to leave and it lowkey might not be the worst thing in the world if that eventuates. I'd rather keep someone like Eddie Ford.

You are inconsistent with your take on Scott vs Zurhaar. There was more noise that he was looking to escape.

It is pissing into the wind in terms of who people think will stay or go, contracts don't stop people leaving either.

I am not a fan of splitting our first pick, Eagles split the Wardlaw pick to get Ginbey and somebody else and that guy is no longer employed. Rawlings has already made enough dubious trade decisions for one career.

You are inconsistent with your take on Scott vs Zurhaar. There was more noise that he was looking to escape.

You're not wrong but I've heard enough whispers that make me semi-confident Zurhaar will end up staying at North. It's just been a play by his Management to try and maximise his payday.

Bailey is much more valuable to us then whatever we'd get for him in a trade, I doubt any club would offer a top 30 pick for him

Blake Drury (release)
Cameron Zurhaar
Curtis Taylor (release)
Eddie Ford
Finnbar Maley

Hamish Free (release)
Hugh Greenwood (retire)
Jackson Archer
Kallan Dawson

Liam Shiels (retire)
Robert Hansen (release)
Toby Pink
Will Phillips

This looks about right to me. RHJ and Taylor could be kept for another year. We could also pay out or push back to the rookie list Biggie and/or CCJ.

Cooper Harvey is one not many have mentioned, but he is in more trouble than I thought he would be earlier in the year. He isn't showing enough in the VFL and plays a position we are overloaded in.

Cooper Harvey is one not many have mentioned, but he is in more trouble than I thought he would be earlier in the year. He isn't showing enough in the VFL and plays a position we are overloaded in.

Agreed.

I reckon he's the kind of player we'd give a lifeline to via a rookie spot, but he'd want to lift his output in 2025 to save his AFL career IMHO.

You're not wrong but I've heard enough whispers that make me semi-confident Zurhaar will end up staying at North. It's just been a play by his Management to try and maximise his payday.

Yeah, that's not the case at all. The last few years have been a shitshow and he was genuinely sick of it. He knows he can get paid well wherever he plays, he just wants to play on the big stage in a successful team.

You might be right, but have you looked at the list of our of contract players across the AFL this year?

Not a lot of young genuine best 22 talent. Bailey will be one of the better players available.

This is your regular reminder that players under contract are traded every year.

This looks about right to me. RHJ and Taylor could be kept for another year. We could also pay out or push back to the rookie list Biggie and/or CCJ.

Had genuinely forgotten Harvey was in the list.

He’ll be battling to maintain his list spot.

So many more talented, better performed forwards ahead of him.

Had genuinely forgotten Harvey was in the list.

He’ll be battling to maintain his list spot.

So many more talented, better performed forwards ahead of him.
I thought he looked good in the pre-season and was playing well, IIRC, early in the season possibly pushing for a senior spot but he really seems to have fallen off the radar as the season has progressed.

I thought he looked good in the pre-season and was playing well, IIRC, early in the season possibly pushing for a senior spot but he really seems to have fallen off the radar as the season has progressed.

Don't forget he missed most of the early season with the foot injury.

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back