List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just looked up Josh Treacy draft…….number 7 in the 2021 rookie draft.
We took Patrick Walker at 2, after taking 3 midfielders in Phillip, Powell and Lazaro in the ND. Not to mention Phoenix Spicer……….how good!!!

*We got Eddie Ford at pick 46 though, so not a calamity.

Would love Treacy now. But HTF did we not look at any KP players in any of that lot. Gezuz.
Yeah that’s up there with our draft blunders

A vanilla mid/utility

Some wise man floated treacy pre draft here also as a rookie pick ;)

Personally, l'd be keeping tabs on the 21 and 22 draft class and pick the players that aren't getting a gig that should be like Matt Jefferson, Leek Aleer, Gruze, Konstanty, L.Hayes etc..

Couldn’t agree more. You would be paying unders as they are yet to really prove themselves, but at the same time have had 2+ years of development which is when KPF/D really establish themselves.

Throw Keeler, Lemmey into the mix also…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Couldn’t agree more. You would be paying unders as they are yet to really prove themselves, but at the same time have had 2+ years of development which is when KPF/D really establish themselves.

Throw Keeler, Lemmey into the mix also…

Ironically we could have drafted both of them but live traded our late picks out

Last few years we’ve avoided picks outside about 35/40 (cooper Harvey father son not included who was just taken at our last pick)

No matter who I list, someone will find a reason why it has no chance of happening. They'll say with certainty "he doesn't want to leave his club" like they know what a player is thinking.

If you want a random list of some young KPFs then here you go...

Cadman
Riccardi
Ben King
Amartey
Neale
Treacy
Fogarty
Screw the naysayers.

If we finish the season well, pick 3 and 1.1m a year for 6 years for Oscar Allen.

Yes he's born and raised in Perth and yes he's a co-captain, but what's the point of trade threads if we can't identify the a-grade talent when we finally start performing like an attractive club.

He's also an RFA next year and makes sense as a pre-agent target.

Just looked up Josh Treacy draft…….number 7 in the 2021 rookie draft.
We took Patrick Walker at 2, after taking 3 midfielders in Phillip, Powell and Lazaro in the ND. Not to mention Phoenix Spicer……….how good!!!

*We got Eddie Ford at pick 46 though, so not a calamity.

Would love Treacy now. But HTF did we not look at any KP players in any of that lot. Gezuz.
Amazing, there’s a diamond in the rough for you. Sometimes players just need to be given a chance and some take it big time like Treacy

I think there are always value options post round 1 in terms of key forwards, they just need development and list space. If you go the budget route, you also need to take a few on, because most wont make it.

On the plus side of things, a failed KPF can sometimes make a good KPD. Hansen, Tarrant, Daw and now Comben.

I really don't see what people saw in some of the fringe players we took, we managed to find the one indigenous player that wasn't quick, fumbled the ball and had mediocre disposal skills. I hope to god his junior performances were a lot better.

imo there are probably KPDs who never made it because there wasn't a club that had list space and time to take them and develop them and they didn't pursue football after that. The best thing they could do for football is expand lists to the size they used to be and get rid of academies. If we went back to 60 odd players on a list then you would have scope to have a few KPPs in long-term development
Phoenix was fast. He didn’t fumble the ball. He actually had good skills. He just didn’t get near the ball enough. And he was a mid at junior level if I remember correctly and we wanted to play him as a crumbing forward, who had mediocre goal sense.

Ironically we could have drafted both of them but live traded our late picks out

Last few years we’ve avoided picks outside about 35/40 (cooper Harvey father son not included who was just taken at our last pick)

I thought that was odd at the time and would expect they would both be ready to impact games after a couple of years of development.

I thought Keeler was a good prospect and has shown glimpses in the VFL. Is still OOC this year I believe.

I also think Lemmey at Carlton would be best advised by his manager to seek opportunities elsewhere and is OOC end of 2025?

Phoenix was fast. He didn’t fumble the ball. He actually had good skills. He just didn’t get near the ball enough. And he was a mid at junior level if I remember correctly and we wanted to play him as a crumbing forward, who had mediocre goal sense.

I don't remember him chasing down someone, never saw him go for a run like McKercher did.

I'm sorry, good skills? He handled the ball like a greased beachball, never seen someone fumble the ball so much.

He might have been great in the juniors but I didn't see anything in an AFL game to see what anyone else saw. But hey, he got on the park, a lot more than most people do.

Yeah.

Duursma is great but like you I think we should have gone for Caddy. His kicking for goal needs work tho.
Way to early to make those calls. Based on that draft Caddy was never in that calculation. he always could take a grab but Duurs can aswell. Also both will take awhile to develop. Honestly for me Watto is on watch. I thought he would come in with a bang

Way to early to make those calls. Based on that draft Caddy was never in that calculation. he always could take a grab but Duurs can aswell. Also both will take awhile to develop. Honestly for me Watto is on watch. I thought he would come in with a bang
What I like about Caddy is he has a bit of mongrel and loves to win contests.

And a tall contested marking player would be so useful. But Duursma is nothing to sneeze at either.

What I like about Caddy is he has a bit of mongrel and loves to win contests.

And a tall contested marking player would be so useful. But Duursma is nothing to sneeze at either.
He has presence, Duursma doesnt....yet and may never have it to the same extent. But Duursma can pretty much play anywhere as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screw the naysayers.

If we finish the season well, pick 3 and 1.1m a year for 6 years for Oscar Allen.

Yes he's born and raised in Perth and yes he's a co-captain, but what's the point of trade threads if we can't identify the a-grade talent when we finally start performing like an attractive club.

He's also an RFA next year and makes sense as a pre-agent target.
We'd be better using pick 3 and moving Chom or Dawson up forward.

Watson has kicked 5.18 in 9 games. That's on pace for 58 scoring shots over a 23 games season.

If he could convert at a normal rate, that's a 30+ goal per season small forward. His kicking at goal is really letting him down.

Watson has kicked 5.18 in 9 games. That's on pace for 58 scoring shots over a 23 games season.

If he could convert at a normal rate, that's a 30+ goal per season small forward. His kicking at goal is really letting him down.
He'll get there. Just takes time. Give him another preseason and I can 100% see a massive improvement

No matter who I list, someone will find a reason why it has no chance of happening. They'll say with certainty "he doesn't want to leave his club" like they know what a player is thinking.

If you want a random list of some young KPFs then here you go...

Cadman
Riccardi
Ben King
Amartey
Neale
Treacy
Fogarty

I wouldn't say anything with certainty as would love us to grab one... king and amartey id say no as both re-signed recently. Fogarty couldn't see leaving SA, the other 4 are don't say never. Obviously Cadman will be the most expensive in terms of draft capital. Won't get change for him and may want more, the others might be 2nd but that will push into the 20s so prob want more than that given all contracted

Id add WC boys in Allen and Waterman, Allen would be our first again Waterman be less....

Add in JLuk too, he has some doubters out there and not the crash bash but would be cheaper as could be assisting GC getting ahead of the Rombards bid. Still potentially access to Trainor and grab another kpf with 2nd

Last edited:
We'd be better using pick 3 and moving Chom or Dawson up forward.

Personally think Chom stays back for good. Dawson isn't a fwd. We are trying to make calls that would dramatically improve us in the short term, next yr. That's just a stop gap option and continual obsession with shiny new toys

He has presence, Duursma doesnt....yet and may never have it to the same extent. But Duursma can pretty much play anywhere as well.

If you're comparing the small sample size from both of Caddy & Duursma, Caddy has him cold at this point.

Duursma presents at the ball like a fairy in comparison.

Caddy will breaks someone's ribs for getting in his space. Maybe I'm a bit old school, but I like that in a forward.

Are we just forgetting that Duursma kicked 2 goals in his first game (should have been 4, bloody umps) and took 11 marks in his second game?

He's a stud. He just lost confidence as the losing streak went on. He'll be a gun.
How's he been going in the vfl? Haven't heard much of him lately.

I keep mentioning Duursma's playing weight every time there are posters doubting the selection, because it really does matter. Two factors that you can use to determine how long it could take a junior to adjust to AFL are playing weight and endurance.

Duursma entered the AFL at 189cm 79kg, Probably 8-10kg off ideal playing weight
Caddy entered the AFL at 193cm 88kg. Probably 3-5kg off ideal playing weight.

Duursma's tank was also behind Caddy's. Duursma ran a 6:54 2km at the combine, Caddy 6:35 2km.

There really should be no surprises here. As someone else mentioned, Duursma kicked 2.1 in his first game (probably should have had 3 goals) and had 11 marks in his second. He also had a game at VFL level recently where he had 25 touches and kicked 3 goals - something 95% of players at that level couldn't dream of doing.

It's going to be ok.

The team's starting to turn the corner.. can't whinge about that any more....how can I get my fix?....I know...I'll moan about the number 4 draft pick 5 mins into his career....

When did people become so impatient?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Its nuts.

It is in the same rationale that in order to develop you need to be doing so at AFL level.

Boomer played 432 games. 1 in his first season, a handful in his second and exploded in his third.

Zane has so much time it is not funny.

The team's starting to turn the corner.. can't whinge about that any more....how can I get my fix?....I know...I'll moan about the number 4 draft pick 5 mins into his career....

When did people become so impatient?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Can’t we just get back to whinging about how we picked some spanner up in the draft at a pick in the 40’s, when we should of picked up a bloke 5 picks later who no one rated, but turned out to be a gun. Why didn’t North just pick up the guy who wasn’t rated, but turned into a gun? Pretty simple.

Like if we checked out the Geelong drafts and trade pages, are they still blabbing on ‘why did we pick Ryan Abbott at pick 69, with Nick Larkey or Mitch Lewis still in the board. Terrible list management’. Or do they just move on with their lives knowing that with the draft and trading, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back