List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard from a good thourthe that our thinking is we need 7-8 top line mids (more accurately 7-8 guys who can play top end mid time if required) to really go forward.
Top End Mid Time X 4; LDU, Simpkin, Sheezel & Wardlaw. Plus Powell (with a slight question mark over his consistency)
Which gives us 5. McKercher will join them sooner rather than later. Which makes 6 in total

Then there's Phillips (with a big question mark over his role) and Duursma who may end up in the rotation in a year or two.

So if that's our thinking we're still 1 or 2 players short, it all points to us taking a mid with our first pick.

Last edited:
Binns had a pretty decent last game in the vfl of 47 touches and three goals. Surely the Carlton senior side would make room for him after that kind of performance

I am exaggerating the paper stamping, but we would make it a lot easier for Tasmania to lure him back if we aren't winning and aren't playing him in the role he wants to play. We can't even convince Zurhaar to re-sign and he basically has a banana lounge out there in the forward pocket.

Didn't JHF allegedly request a trade after Clarkson aired playing him down back for 2 years?
Fair enough Tas, McKercher going back to Tassie is the least of my concerns.

I'm not sure I've seen Zurhaar's game summed up more perfectly than "a banana lounge in the forward pocket" 🤣

Not sure about *** however I'd very surprised if this was the catalyst for the trade request, it was always on the agenda.

If Zurhaar stays, he / Curtis / Zane (when he fills out) should have the 1-2 times per quarter run through the centre as bigger bodied mids.

We seem to have gone away from using the former two in that role but we're going to have to get creative if we want to fit them (and Ford) all in the side going forward.

Can someone much more qualified than I am explain to me why we wouldn’t be going hard for Barrass? We have a lot of faith in Wil Dawson perhaps but this guy fits our list needs perfectly.

He’ll be 29 next year and why would he leave WC to come to a side that’s won 2 games so far this year.

Another couple of little whispers I've heard:

- we have been in contact with Jaxon Binns management. His VFL form has been ridiculous as an outside accumulating runner. Has 1 year to run on his current deal with Carlton but is stuck behind Walsh/Hollands/Acres as a wing option.

- we have been keeping an eye on a few fringe GC players. Have had scouts spotted at a few GC VFL games in recent months. Not entirely sure who they are, but I'd assume we'd be looking at fringe players like of Davies, Graham, Budarick Lemmens, Jeffrey, Rosas Jnr, or maybe even Jy Farrar.
Davies would be a good fit if we wanted a full time defensive mid in the Rowbottom/ANB mould that let's Sheezel and LDU free to frontrun and wreak havok.

Davies would be a good fit if we wanted a full time defensive mid in the Rowbottom/ANB mould that let's Sheezel and LDU free to frontrun and wreak havok.
I think the jury is out whether we want a defensive mid, Phillips was very briefly in vogue but he’s out of favour now as it limits our rotations.

I think the jury is out whether we want a defensive mid, Phillips was very briefly in vogue but he’s out of favour now as it limits our rotations.
Davies is bigger and faster which means a lot in the defensive mid role. Phillips makes it as an extractor like Libba or Viney. We find out next year though as I'm of the belief he is still regaining his full aerobic capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d play him off forward flank/pocket for the CBA, then rush in and tag opp mid around the ground.

That way he gets involved F50 if we win the centre clearance, locks down a player if we don’t, and doesn’t waste a CBA.

If we can get an A grade quality mid, sure, otherwise I don't think so.

I think post bye our midfield is tracking more like a top 4 midfield rather than a bottom 4 midfield and that is with no Thomas, playing McKercher down back and sporadically using Phillips.

McKercher has to come into the midfield group next year, unless you want to stamp his Tasmanian papers. I think if we had Thomas in the side the only game we would have dropped post bye would have been to the Swans. McKercher will give us the offense that is currently lacking, it is too easy for the opposition to focus on LDU then we don't get quality clearances. We will not only improve in that regard with McKercher there, but will make it impossible for teams to double/triple team LDU at stoppages.

Bringing in another B grader isn't going to help LDU find more space.

If we keep our first pick in the draft, there is more midfield talent in that range. If Comben goes forward again and does as well as he did against Carlton then it pretty much resolves any major deficiency in our list. Logue, Corr and Dawson are good in the short term, Goater will be back next year, Hardeman was promising, any new talented mid is probably going to spend time in the back half early on. We do not feel compelled to play Duursma when he isn't ready for the AFL level, he is a super talent that will come on when he is physically ready.

I think we are over the worst part of our rebuild and there is light at the end of the tunnel, from here on I think we only put A grade players on the list, be it draft, trade or free agency. We should use whatever cap space we have bringing long-term deals forward on the stars we will have problems keeping together in the future without front-loading some long-term contracts.
Agree re: Kerch. However, Fisher is not a like for like for Kerch, however serviceable he may be.

We will need to find/develop someone who can break the lines and deliver daggers like Kerch can over the next 18 months for this move to happen.

If Goater can come back and if he is instructed to lay a loose defender role rather than sticking to a man, then maybe.

Side note: while he may not be delivering the running bounces off half back, I have been liking Stephens role as the stationary bullet dispenser off HB/wing when we are play the possession/chip control game.

Can someone much more qualified than I am explain to me why we wouldn’t be going hard for Barrass? We have a lot of faith in Wil Dawson perhaps but this guy fits our list needs perfectly.

he's turning 29, we need a key forward.

We got enough key defenders and they are much easier to obatin via trade.

Between logue, corr, dawson x 2 we are quite well stocked in defense.

Forward line, well, if we can get comben to be chf, then that's a HUGE HUGE weapon.

I was very nervoused to hear him playing forward with his overly eager jumping into packs.

3 quick goals showed great potentials...

Geez not sure what the Lions are going to do if they need points for Levi Ashcroft and Sam Marshall in their NGA.
Split their pick 16 with Tigers pick 21, 35 and 39? Move their F1 into this year?
They don't have a 2nd round pick. Next is like pick 58 after 16.

GC 27 and Crows 29 might be shuffled back with bids on Lombard and Welsh, could we pinch one of them with the F2?

Another couple of little whispers I've heard:

- we have been in contact with Jaxon Binns management. His VFL form has been ridiculous as an outside accumulating runner. Has 1 year to run on his current deal with Carlton but is stuck behind Walsh/Hollands/Acres as a wing option.

- we have been keeping an eye on a few fringe GC players. Have had scouts spotted at a few GC VFL games in recent months. Not entirely sure who they are, but I'd assume we'd be looking at fringe players like of Davies, Graham, Budarick Lemmens, Jeffrey, Rosas Jnr, or maybe even Jy Farrar.
Finally. I'd be surprised if he stays at the Blues, he has been named as emergency so many times this year and though Carlton have a good team I think he would get a game for them if they just gave him a run of games to show what he can do. If he did stay it would be because Michael Voss has spoken to him and assured him if he keeps putting in the hard yards that he will get his opportunity.

Would like it very much if we secured Jaxon in a trade at the end of the year. One last thing, we have spoken to several small forwards so far and we aren't even near trade week, as I said a while back, this trade/free agency period this year {before we even get to the draft} is going to be our most important ever, for reasons already discussed, I'm getting the distinct feeling we will be taking three or four players in the national draft and a couple of guys in trade/free agency week.

Last edited:
He said he was an Eagle for life about three weeks ago.

Not sure there's much in this except wishful thinking.
That’s what shocked me about it, Syd tried it last year or the year he re-signed? Unless it’s WCE pushing him out 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back